For no one in this world can you trust...

<div class='quotetop'>(anubispro @ Aug 11 2006, 06:37 PM) [snapback]1298687[/snapback]</div>
EXCELLENT work.

NOW that sword is worthy of display.
There is no reason they could not have made that sword match the movie version closer.

BTW, have you concidered etching in the letters with a sand-blaster?
If you cut the mask yourself, it wouldn't be very expensive.
[/b]
Well, my personal goal was to make it look as good as possible with a minimum amount of money, because seriously, the original sword was a cheap knock-off.

Any I never really considered sandblasting the "inscription", seeing as how I don't know anything about sandblasting or the related masks of which you speak.

Tell me things...

I love it. Really looks awesome.

You can have the letters traced in a vinyl sticker shop and let them do those inverted using simple vinyl mask. Apply, mask the rest of the sword and use a cheapo sandblaster. You need an aircompressor of course.

Thomas

Dude, you did that sword justice! Great work! Here are my babies. And I agree, I saw Conan in the theatre slightly before I was the 'legal' age and I was pretty much hooked.
swords01o.jpg

Last edited:
<div class='quotetop'>(clutch @ Aug 11 2006, 09:39 PM) [snapback]1298808[/snapback]</div>
Dude, you did that sword justice. Great work. Here are my babies. And I agree, I saw Conan in the theatre slightly before I was the 'legal' age and I was pretty much hooked.
swords01.jpg

[/b]
Gorgeous. :love

One day I hope to be able to afford one of each of those. Out of curiosity, why 2 Atlanteans? Are they different in some way?

Anyway, color me envious. And thanks for the comments. :D One of the most difficult parts was figuring out the wrap pattern on the handle...

Last edited by a moderator:
The sword on the left is #1 and the one on the right is #20. I was planning on selling the 20 until I saw that there were subtle differences between the two. If you look really close, you can see them. Good deals pop up on ebay every once in a while. That's how I got #20 and I paid nowhere near full price.

I too snuck in underage a tad to see Conan (well they just didnt check too hard back then really when I bought the ticket) My brother was a weight lifter and so I knew who Arnold was then. Movie was EPIC. Still is. I have wanted a sword pretty much since then, but price will have to be reasonable, eventually Im sure something will pop up, and I cant bring myself to get one of the cheapies.

I remember a story going around back then that that Conan swords made for the flim could chop an engine block in two. Now I know that is not true, but it was cool to believe back then.

Shrine completed:

The entire stand is made from 5/8" MDF, stacked in glued layers, & I used a belt-sander & a dremel to shape the shrine. The goal was to make the finish resemble the stone formations that were present in the 'Battle of the Mounds' scene. I used FleckStone Paint ("Santa Fe Sand" color), with later mist coats of dark & light gray, white, black, & brown. The cloth is a car-washing chamois, which I dyed a brownish-burgandy color.

Also, I took a high-gauss hard-drive magnet (snapped in half) & imbedded a piece into the top of each of the "boulders" (where the sword actually sits). The pieces were added before painting, so the magnets are now invisible, but will still hold the sword quite securely.

Last edited:
WOW. I really like what you did with that cheapo replica and turned it into something about 90% screen accurate. I personally wouldn't have cut the blade (I just cringe at the thought of a good sword getting broken/chopped), but it is your sword.

The broken blade reminds me of this old shards of Narsil/Anduril pic I saw a while ago (and pretty much the shards of Narsil period):

BrokenAnduril.jpg

Again, good job.

Seth

damn.... i wanna make one of those.

very very cool.

im in the minority here, but i never saw conan until it was availible on vhs or beta ;)

it was cool, but i really didnt get that into it. that display though, is awesome.

chris

<div class='quotetop'>(clutch @ Aug 11 2006, 08:39 PM) [snapback]1298808[/snapback]</div>
Dude, you did that sword justice. Great work. Here are my babies. And I agree, I saw Conan in the theatre slightly before I was the 'legal' age and I was pretty much hooked.
swords01.jpg

[/b]

Cool collection. Even I can see the differences between the #1 and the #20 and I'm not even THAT good when it comes to swords. Do you guess the #1 is the most screen accurate and the later numbers got less and less accurate (I'd hate to see the last number :lol )? Or is it that each one was hand made rather than CNC machined so they'd all look the same?

<div class='quotetop'>(anubispro @ Aug 11 2006, 10:37 PM) [snapback]1298687[/snapback]</div>
EXCELLENT work.

NOW that sword is worthy of display.
There is no reason they could not have made that sword match the movie version closer.

BTW, have you concidered etching in the letters with a sand-blaster?
If you cut the mask yourself, it wouldn't be very expensive.
[/b]
very cool,my first sword was a crappy conan sword,and I am inspired to improve it.centaur

I watch Conan at least once a quarter if not more. One of my favorites. Wish I could afford one of Jody's pieces but after seeing this thread may go out to get one to fix up a bit.

<div class='quotetop'></div>
Or is it that each one was hand made rather than CNC machined so they'd all look the same?[/b]

Albion sword blanks are all CNC'ed. They are heat treated one at a time and polished/final shaped free hand.

Touring the Albion 'factory' is pretty neat...very nice folks, passionate about their work, and extremely talented.

Jody, besides being a hell of a neat guy and maker of ubernifty blades, also does fantastic model work. He has some spaceships hanging in his personal workspace that has to be seen to be believed :thumbsup

And back on track...love the stand, and you did an AMAZING job making the "ThulsaKiller" sword :love

Alex

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back