Foam or Resin armor????

I haven't tried it, but STEALTH would probably be your best bet on that question - he's very good at altering the stock outputs of the program. I'd PM him and see what he recommends. It's a GREAT idea so I hope it works!

Not much to update.
Spandexworld sent me the wrong fabric samples- I asked for gold they sent me silver and hematite.

GRRRR... They never even sent me the samples I asked for. I finally just skipped it and created panels from matching satin cloth with gaps to Mikey could still get IN the under-armor suit.

Blehhhh this sucks
my fabric emerged from UPS limbo and its so not what I was expecting.
Definitely not the shiny yellow gold I was hoping for

goldfabricsample.jpg

Blehhhh this sucks
my fabric emerged from UPS limbo and its so not what I was expecting.
Definitely not the shiny yellow gold I was hoping for

goldfabricsample.jpg
I bought the same vinyl in mjtrends.com to see if I could use it for Saint Seiya gold clothmyth. But its not the gold we want it right ^_^.
I have used E.V.A Foam for ages... the biggest problem for me is the painting... I'm from Brazil... and we dont have plasti dip and other things... Usually people use glue with water for 3 layers than paint it... I didnt like it because it would wrinkle with the movement... So what I liked it was painting with water based enamel. But it sometimes glues one piece on another if u dont store it well.. So I decided to try the fabric on foam... The vinyl we have in my city (or mostly Brazil) is those patten vinyl for shoes ... so its to thick ... So I tried this Lame... But it didnt work too well also because the gold just died out later...
Here is the Deedlit armor from Record of lodoss war made with EVA Foam and water based enamel...And the Parn armor also on EVA Foam but this time with fabric... It looks nice on the picture... but now... Its all died out.... I would have to spray gold on it to re-use it... and it doesnt look too good after its been sprayed...
I wanted to find the same fabric the damn Japanese uses... but cant find it...

Thankyou for sharing jackhellcrow
Its nice to meet another Seiya fan, especially one having the same problem.
Right now I am waiting on fabric samples from a few different websites.
I will let you know when they come

Cool \o ,
I´m learning to sculp on water based clay, because I'm a lil tired of Foam... And I want to try on Fibberglass armored. I've been wanting to make Gemini Saga for a couple of years... but I want something really beautiful .... And thats part of the problema... On Foam making, I find my self quite capable on working the forms but the painting... its just so dificult... And with FIbberglassed armor the paint also becomes a lil problem because I only found this chrome paint for 200 reais... ( since 2lt Coke cost 4 reais, 200 reais is a little over the price...)
So first as I said I wanted to make fabric.. and the only option I could find... is to do it on metallic spandex like this one: Spandex World Inc. spandex fabric, lycra stretch fabric
But I get a little scared the fabric would die out since it doesnt have the clear plastic finish as the PVC Vinyl...
So the other option was to paint the Foam or FibberGlassed Armor with this acrylic paint called " Metal Colors"
The color is just great, since the name explain it self.. its not Gold its Solar Gold =D
I used that paint on the Deedlit armor , the gold detailed was made using it.
So I though to paint with it on the fibberglassed , than have a semi-gloss varnish finishing it all to have that shinny effect ...

And now some pictures of this low budget Shiryu foam armor I made... again painted with water based enamel... I was going to give a finish with green " metal colors" but I didnt have the time, so I'm waiting my friend to bring it to me \o.
Making off Shiryu cosplay - a set on Flickr

If you want examples of what can be done using foam I strongly recommend reading through any thread by a member from the Philippines by the name of Isabela, she and her boyfriend do amazing work with foam and judging by the pictures, you'd be hard pressed to tell that they were made from foam.

As for sourcing foam, you can also buy and use things like yoga mats, camp mats, work out mats (like they put in some gyms), or the stuff you buy at the hardware store for use as floor mats. Some of these may be a bit too thick and they don't come in great amounts, except for the ones that connect together, but they are readily available and good for those occasions where you need the foam right away.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back