Five Foot of Fun, ANH Style !

Looking great Joe!. Its interesting to see how we all approach the hull in different ways. Your method looks sound & will look great!.
I'm going now with a half section wooden buck & have vacformed in 3mm styrene. Still deciding on whether to laminate two 3mm sections together to get the 6mm hull thickness or just tweak things a bit.
Stu

Thanks Man ! I'm actually debating the vac form route too. Great minds, LOL. I know I can lay up the parts in a mold, but styrene would be so much faster and easier. The only problem I have is building the big honkin' Vac former. A half hull will be about 25 by 50 inches. That's a big piece of plastic. If you have enough vacuum you could probably pull the 6mm sheet and forgo the lamination. Any pro vac form company should be able to do that with little problem. Please post the result when you get it done. It will help me to decide which way to go. I know fiberglass pretty well, that's why I went this route. This is only the pattern right now. I made it oversize so I have the option to vac it. We'll see which way is best. It would definitely be easier if one was going to sell a few copies, Not that I am, ;) Cheers,

Joe

Sorry it took a few days longer to get these pics done. Finally got the 1/4 slice trimmed and primed. There were a few shallow spots here and there. Had to get out the ole spot filler. It doesn't matter how careful you are, there's always a few high and low spots. Even if I Cnc'd this thing, you'd still have mill marks to contend with. So here's a few more pics, Enjoy.

Filler.jpg

Filler 2.jpg

Filler 3.jpg

After a few coats of filler primer, filled in the low spots with Filler putty.

Spackle.JPG

Spackle 2.JPG

Another primer coat, then hit it with a little drywall spackle compound. I like to use this to fill small spots in primer. It sands great, and filled those little spots easier.

Primer.jpg

Primer 2.jpg

The last few primer coats. I think I'm close now. Still want to throw on a black guide coat, to check for any sneaky spots that I may not see with my poor eyes, ;) Then it's on to making the other half of this thing, Argg !

Dome Comp Final.jpg

Couldn't wait to see what a full dome will look like. Threw a pic together in Photoshop to get a sneak peek.

Now on to making another quarter dome. Got a few tricks for this. Don't want to go through the same hassles for a new section. Stay tuned, Cheers,

Joe

Last edited:
Sorry it took a few days longer to get these pics done. Finally got the 1/4 slice trimmed and primed. There were a few shallow spots here and there. Had to get out the ole spot filler. It doesn't matter how careful you are, there's always a few high and low spots. Even if I Cnc'd this thing, you'd still have mill marks to contend with. So here's a few more pics, Enjoy.

View attachment 490621

View attachment 490622

View attachment 490623

After a few coats of filler primer, filled in the low spots with Filler putty.

View attachment 490625

View attachment 490626

Another primer coat, then hit it with a little drywall spackle compound. I like to use this to fill small spots in primer. It sands great, and filled those little spots easier.

View attachment 490619

View attachment 490620

The last few primer coats. I think I'm close now. Still want to throw on a black guide coat, to check for any sneaky spots that I may not see with my poor eyes, ;) Then it's on to making the other half of this thing, Argg !

View attachment 490631

Couldn't wait to see what a full dome will look like. Threw a pic together in Photoshop to get a sneak peek.

Now on to making another quarter dome. Got a few tricks for this. Don't want to go through the same hassles for a new section. Stay tuned, Cheers,

Joe

Looking awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very exciting to watch!!

Tom

Thanks Guys,
I'm enjoying this cause it's in my wheelhouse. Been working with messy fiberglass for a long time. I hate the mess, but love seeing a shape that was on paper or the computer become real. And who doesn't love the Falcon. Cheers,

Joe

So excited for this project. Love glassing over foam, its such a fast and versatile method, and works great at almost any scale. What primer/surfacer do you use? Do you get have any problems with epoxy blush?

So excited for this project. Love glassing over foam, its such a fast and versatile method, and works great at almost any scale. What primer/surfacer do you use? Do you get have any problems with epoxy blush?

Hey man, haven't had any so far with this epoxy. If you ever do just wash it off with a fine scotch brite pad and water. Blush is water soluble so it comes right off. Don't use acetone as some people have, not me of course ;). I'm using rustoleum filler primer on this as I had some laying around, and it's cheap, LOL. This is just the plug so as long as I can get a smooth surface it will be fine. I'll use a molding gelcoat on the mold so I can get a lot of pulls from it. The plug just has to last through molding. I also like the foam method. I just need a cnc router so I don't have to carve the shapes by hand. I'm a lousy sculptor. This is a fairly simple shape, but it still kicked my butt, :) Cheers,

Joe

Funny, it doesn't look like a boot!

Great guns, mate!
R/ Robert

LOL, sure felt like one, ;) Luckily I think I kicked it back. I put on a semi gloss black guide coat, and except for a few very small imperfections it looks pretty smooth. Now onto making another side and then molding. Stay tuned for more fun with the five footer, Cheers,

Joe

I wonder what would happen if we replaced the Enterprise's saucer with a Millennium Falcon? Would the universe implode?

R/ Robert

EXCELLENT WORK! Not too late to back out and make the Enterprise! GASP! Did I just say that? ;)

Oh don't tempt me. I have prints of the 8 foot refit. Can't do that one yet. Too many irons on the fire, and not enough in my blood, LOL.

Oh by the way, love your cockpit project. That thing is smokin' ! Would love to sit in that thing someday. When you finish it, you should bolt it to a flight sim gimbal and charge admission, ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder what would happen if we replaced the Enterprise's saucer with a Millennium Falcon? Would the universe implode?

R/ Robert

Couldn't be worse than the JJprise ;)

Last edited:
Any progress on your build? I've just discovered this thread and am really enjoying your efforts thus far. You guys make this stuff look easy!

Had to wait on a few materials but ready to get back at it soon. It's been 100 degrees plus in the shop for a while now. Humid and muggy. Trying to do a little here and there at night. Hope to have an update soon. Thanks for watching, Cheers,

Joe

Oh don't tempt me. I have prints of the 8 foot refit. Can't do that one yet. Too many irons on the fire, and not enough in my blood, LOL.

Oh by the way, love your cockpit project. That thing is smokin' ! Would love to sit in that thing someday. When you finish it, you should bolt it to a flight sim gimbal and charge admission, ;)

As you said... Dont tempt me! If I won the lottery I'd recreate the entire Hoth Hanger! And maybe even a ATAT or two. ;)

Well here's hopin' you win that sucker. A Hoth hanger would be awesome ! Or a bay 94. As hot as its been here I think I'm leaning toward the Hoth bay, ;)

Bwayne64,

Did this "Nakkid Falcon" ever get completed? If not, where was it left off? I just discovered this thread, and was very impressed by the genius of your core design approach for the armature, esp. as I'm now having to rethink my own approach.

Bwayne64,

Did this "Nakkid Falcon" ever get completed? If not, where was it left off? I just discovered this thread, and was very impressed by the genius of your core design approach for the armature, esp. as I'm now having to rethink my own approach.
Hey Man, Thanks, I actually built a quarter of the nekkid hull. But seeing more reference coming out, I started buying kits, to clothe the ole girl. I'm in the process of building a large vacuum former to make the shells. Can't work with acrylic, as it exceeds my patience theshold, ; ) The plan is to pull 3/16 thick plastic for the sections. I was going to go fiberglass but changed my mind. Glad you like the armature. That one is just a preliminary version. I usually go through 3 or 4 iterations before I finally get it. I have all the 3 and 4 letter mental illnesses. OCD, ADHD, CIA, FBI, Ect. I've been building a SS Galactica for over 40 years. It's like the pharaohs and the pyramids, lol. Oh well, it's not the destination but the journey that matters. At least that sounds like a good excuse, cheers,

Joe

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back