First Timer Tie Bomber Build

Thanks! I missed this one thread and was about to turn it on a lathe. I really got everything to start off now. Its going to be much more easier.

Big Dog, scribing bands on something like the dome part are best done using a surface gauge (I think that is what it is called...). Here is one sold by Micromark:

http://www.micromark.com/toolmakers-surface-gauge-ship-waterline-marker,7115.html

However, it can be very simple to make one. Use anything as a height 'block' that you can brace a scriber on horizontally, then just (carefully!) rotate your part against your gauge. You could also use a pencil to mark your line then use some layered up masking tape, cut into thin strips & applied to the line, as a guide for scribing. I have one of the Micromark gauges, and it is nice since the 'probe' is hardened steel so it can serve to scratch in an initial line to start the engraving. But, is it really worth the expense & having to store it when a pencil and some Lego blocks might serve your immediate needs?

But that's the idea.

R/ Robert

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back