First Time Build... Now WarMachine (was Iron Man MK VII(ish))

CaptainVermont

Greetings everyone,

I've lurked for a lonnnnnng time. I finally decided to get into the thick of things.

Sorry... but it will be yet another Iron Man build... :facepalm I'm going for the Iron Man Mk VII look. I am going to be doing more of a custom paint scheme though... I'd like to see a ranger green/black grey look... sort of more of a military paint scheme if that makes sense.

Major thanks to Stealth for the YouTube vids, Darkside501st for the pepakura files... and countless others I've read and learned from over the months.

http://www.therpf.com/f24/robo3687-iron-man-mark-4-6-pepakura-128147/

http://www.therpf.com/f24/darkside501sts-iron-man-mk-vii-pepakura-files-139470/

I've printed out a lot... trying to get my scaling right. Fortunately the lower forearm pieces were pretty spot on, so I'm going to use them as a reference point. So far I've been using 6mm EVA foam.

They are still a little rough, but I plan to fill cracks and such with epoxy... that's my thought anyway. I'll use the modge podge and water to seal them before paint. I used lo temp hot glue and found the tape method helped with the seams. The first forearm is much rougher than the second. I hope by the time I'm done I'll have improved my overall technique.

Some early pics...

photo%252859%2529.JPG

photo%252858%2529.JPG

All comments and criticism is welcomed. Thanks for your patience!

Last edited:
Re: First Time Build... Iron Man MK VII(ish)

FYI, If you use thicker foam, you need twice the recommended PVA sealer otherwise the paint will crack faster... nice forearms dude

I've actually been on the fence about modge vs. plastidip... I might actually go with the plastidip... It may be a bit more expensive, but the overall effect seems worth it.

The back piece is now plastidip'd, but I haven't applied paint yet. Despite it being slightly off center, it's the best piece I've had so far.

OxjV2.jpg

The biceps and forearms have been challenging. I have big forearms and arms, so it's hard to keep things in proportion. I've plastidip'd the biceps, but I think I'll need to redo them because they just aren't going to fit easily.

VGR52.jpg

I plastidip'd the chest piece, and it just didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped. I used almost three cans on this one piece, and you almost can't tell.

tilgt.jpg

Perhaps you could try the PVA/Elmers All Purpose glue to seal it on top of the plastidip. I think it looks pretty good so far.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back