First P1 Costume Test Fitting, A Few Issues Arose...

Pattyk77

Hey team,

I tried on my completed scratch build skin today and couldn't squeeze into it. I had to rip off the thigh armor, cod piece and loin cloth that I had glued on as they had cinched the waist area to tight to slip into. The thigh armor was destroyed....ripped in half but I can redo it . It was craft foam. I was able to salvage the cod piece at least. For a moment I was ready to chuck the whole costume out of frustration and call it a day. It's a scary thing seeing months of hard work being twisted like a pretzel in a matter of seconds.

I plan on attaching the cod piece & thigh armor to hang off the belt since the belt will be put on after the suit is worn. I barley squeezed into the suit at all, though I managed with the help of my snickering wife. Note: I didn't use a duct tape dummy, I used an inflatable full body dummy inside the muscle suit while working on the skin. Proly should've sucked it up and went the duct tape route. Here's a pic of me in the skin. I held off testing the rest of the armor, feet, etc at this point.

p1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well at least it fits which is a positive.. :D .  Another positive is that being skin tight it will look more realistic and move with your body and not hang off  you in big wrinkly flaps. Personally I'm against gluing any Armour on to the suit itself and would  rather create something that is detachable to both repair and change for different looks.  I have to get help to get in and out of my suit as well.

Looking Good though, keep up the good work.

Sean

The suit looks good and it's too bad you had to be set back.  Removable armor pieces would be the way I would go too.  Especially since I look forward to changing out armors for different looks from time to time.

Good point, I'm happy I got into the skin and like that its not bulky. How do you attatch your armor, via Velcro? I considered this but was worried that gluing Velcro pieces would become problimatic and eventually peel off of the armor or skin? I did use magnets on the back for the medical kit.

Thanks for the comments. Love your suit Sulaco, by the way.

I would rather use magnets than Velcro as again it will have to be replaced eventually. I use  leather belts etc as it looks more realistic and trawl charity/thrift shops for them.  I have recently obtained some old horse saddles and tack which I will be using for my next Armour projects.  The leather is full of character and the buckles and rings in the tack are gorgeous.  I suppose it depends on how you see your build going, will you be happy once it's done or will you want to build on it's look and have diversity.

Hope this helps

Sean

I plan on leaving the suit as is once its done. Magnets seem right to me also, perhaps ill use them for the thigh pieces. I love the weathered look too with straps, leather . It creates a real aged look on the predator. Thanks again.

Here is a thought i have sewn on many pieces and even sewn on velcro to the very same pieces in my threads i have several ways to attach this kind of stuff and also using straps is a super cool effect it doesn't look like a big rubber suit and not to worry if you had to streatch it out they are supposed to fit that way if you want it to look right .

All my armor is attached with either heavy duty velcro or snaps.  I use Barge rubber cement on the back of the velcro and on the suit.  Stuff is so strong I've ripped latex trying to get the stuff off.  The less movement you have in your foam armor, the better.  The stuff chips, cracks, and peels if you even THINK about trying to flex or bend it.  I usually spend a few days just repairing my foam armor after a convention, and it gets old really fast.

Brian 

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back