Firefly - Independent NCO belt

Kaylee

As some of you may remember, I was having trouble painting a piece of brass. Well this is what I was working on:

buckle.jpg

It's a Browncoat take on an old Civil War belt. I always did think this kind of buckle looked cool, and I finally found a reason to do something with it. :)

tongueback.jpg

The buckle is a repro of a civil-war era Texas military sword belt plate -- available from civil war re-enactor sutlers all over (and eBay, of course). I just turned it upside down and painted the Independent colors over the Texas Lone Star (any Texans who read this, please don't kill me, it's meant as flattery, I promise. :confused :) )

The belt itself isn't put together like the old Civil War belts though, which adjusted on one side. Rather, I made it in three pieces, borrowing some ideas from 20th century web belts:

fullbelt.jpg

Oringally I meant to make brass "hook" plates to go into the holes in the back section, but for the time being just to have something done I just fastened it up with rivets:

beltback.jpg

I wanted something that would look right tucked up tight as a "dress" belt or could be let loose and low slung as a gunbelt. No pictures on that yet, as I want to finish some other pieces to go with it.. here's a preview though:

belt3.jpg

The link hardware between sections, should anyone else want to try this, is this buckle, from Jas Townsend:
http://jas-townsend.com/product_info.php?c...products_id=781

I just removed the sticky part and cut off half the buckle, leaving an elongnated "D" ring. Round brass stock prolly would have worked as well or better, but I didn't have a means of soldering them closed, so I went with a commercial solution. I used British Tan dye on a tandy belt blank.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back