Finally: My All Real Parts ANH Obi-Wan Lightsaber Finished

Awesome ride James ... in fact it was one of your inbetween real and replica parts builds, which gave me new hope of gathering real parts to recreate this lightsaber myself ... ever since seeing this picture in Harry Harrison's book Mechanismo ©1978, which I borrowed back in 1984 or so from the local library :

SW_Saber_Large.jpg

Sofar ... my quest for a Balance Pipe and No.3MK1 grenade remains.

Chaim

Last edited:
This has to be my all time favourite prop and seeing this makes me want to get back in to the game.

Ive been on the boards since 2006 and this is a popular now as it ever was.

Big congratulation's on your hard work :)

That is AWESOME!

Man, what a trip down memory lane. Chen and Gavidoc emitters, motorcycle grips, boosters. (All that and I still need to assemble mine lol)

Congratulations, James!

I'm not a lightsaber collector, but this is AWESOME and it could be an exception of my "Original Trilogy Imperials only" collecting rule!! A superb replica of an iconic lightsaber, and being made with original parts is the closest thing to the screen used one. Congrats!:thumbsup

This has to be my all time favourite prop and seeing this makes me want to get back in to the game.

Ive been on the boards since 2006 and this is a popular now as it ever was.

Big congratulation's on your hard work :)

It's really neat how this saber has had real staying power with builders and collectors. It's a fantastic design.

Amazing job James. Finding original parts as you did really sets it apart in terms of realism. It's not a leap to imagine Sir Alec Guinness wielding a saber such as this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When the end result is something of such iconic beauty, it's a journey worth travelling.
I've always looked upon this saber as true prop royalty. Congratulations, James.

Since the original saber has never been seen since the final pictures taken for those reference books ... I've always wondered if, after the huge success of STAR WARS, Sir Alec Guinness was offered the prop as a token of appreciation by Lucas and whether it would now reside in the hands of one of his heirs?

Chaim

That would be nice. If his family displayed it eventually... it'd be like the blade runner blaster. We'd travel from all over to see it.

From everything I've read it was returned to Bapty and either A) parted out before SW was released and before it was a worldwide hit B) someone kept it either from the crew or at Bapty or C) it was given to someone like Gunniess or Kurtz and it's never been made public.

The only lightsaber that seems to have gone from filming to ILM was the Vader saber due to the California publicity photos as it was sent with the entire costume. Even the Luke Graflex seems to have gone back to Bapty as it was not available for publicity photos or even the Holiday Special shortly after the return to California.

My bet it was parted-out at Bapty after filming, but I'd give anything to be wrong.

So ... James Kenobi 1138 ... do you perhaps know when those pictures for Harry Harrison's book 'Mechanismo' were taken? And why they added the additional tiny copper screws, wires or cotter pins, when it would just be taken apart again by Bapty after the photoshoot? To me it always seemed like the Exactra 20 activation board is not positioned in between the graflex clamp ... but just 'sits' partly on top of them as if someone just cobbled the saber together for those shots. Any thoughts on that too?

ObiWanANHSaber2.jpg

Chaim

Last edited:
Those photos are for reference and were probably taken by someone at LFL, similar to the photos of the other weapons that appear in the SW Chronicles book. The addition of the screws and wire has always been believed to have been added to 'fix' the saber as it might have been broken from filming it falling on the floor after the duel. It makes since that since there was additional pick-up shooting done in California after filming wrapped in London (such as additional cantina footage) that the saber prop needed to be useable until all filming was finished and then it was returned to Bapty.

It's possible the 'fixed' saber was photographed but never left England and the photos were taken in case ILM had to rebuild the prop in the US. Only those few photos exist and no one knows anything about the location of the saber or it's parts. The screws/wires have never been identified in the movie, and based on how they work they must have been added to repair a broken saber and keep it together.

I love everything about this saber... the mystery, the history, the crazy amalgamation of parts thrown together... just brilliant.

My congratulations James :)
I was looking for the new photos with the new emitter. How brillant it looks together!:thumbsup
I can't think of another saber which was fascinating me as yours. Still have your pictures in mind with the saber lying on the floor with Obi's robe.
11 years quest and a piece of rpf history is finished. :)

This is truly amazing! All the hard work really payed off.
I have ordered one from roman, but to have the "real" thing is a quest I admire you for having fulfilled.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back