Fiberglass Resin and Cheesecloth

The 2-liter bottle I fiberglassed seems to be holding up fine. Nice and firm. I wouldn't sit on it or anything. But I can squeeze on it a little with no fear. It has two layers of cheesecloth and that's probably all it is going to get, except for some bondo body filler to smooth it out.

I started cutting out the portholes today on the dive helmet. Now that I am working with it, I am noticing a little brittleness. I got a couple of cracks while cutting. Of course I was cutting a circle, and using scissors, so that probably put some stress on it. And the whole thing is only just over a millimeter thick, paper-mâché and all. Still holding its shape nicely with two large holes in it (neck and front porthole). It is easy to cut, so I'm kind of glad I did it this way, but I am thinking that after I add the rims for the portholes and the neck flange, I will apply another layer, and this time I will go with the glass fiber mat. I have some old rolls of it, so it won't cost me anything, and the added strength will ensure that it makes it to the show unharmed.

I think I am done with this thread, as the fiberglass and cheese cloth experiment is basically over, but I will post anything unexpected that may still come up while working with the material. My thanks to everyone who commented. This being only the second time I have ever used fiberglass, your tips are appreciated. I'm hoping that future fiberglass projects will go smoother, as I gain experience. I will also post about the dive helmet project as a whole (in another thread) when the project gets a little farther along.

-Rev. Marx

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back