Fedoras

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by BigJoe88, May 14, 2006.

1. BigJoe88

BigJoe88 Well-Known Member

where can i get an indiana jones fedora from?
    thanks

2. John Cooley

John Cooley Well-Known Member

3. Rabittooth

Rabittooth Well-Known Member

4. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Depends... if you want the same brand as the screen-used were, the above link is more than sufficient. Todd does a nice Indy bash on the fedoras he sells. Sadly, the modern HJ's are not made on the same block that was used on the movie hat.

If you, on the other hand, are going for the most accurate Indy "look", then you might want to try this place, as Rab already pointed out... the maker of these hats is a true Indy hat aficionado.

5. thatguyno1

thatguyno1 New Member

Steve at Adventurebilt Hats does an excellent job. I just received my Fedora this last Saturday and it is great. It is 100% beaver felt but it doesn't come cheap and he usually has at least 50 hats on order at any one time so I hope you aren't in a hurry. I had mine shaped like the Temple of Doom. He does more of the Raiders shape but will work with you. The young lady is my daughter who insisted on pics with the hat even though it is several sizes too big for her ;) .

Paul ô¿ô

6. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

I gotta agree... Steve Delk's Adventurebilt is the way to go. I just placed an order with him for a beaver hat. I've had an Akubra Federation for about 3 months but I'm wanting an AB now. That's the problem with not choosing the AB at first opportunity... you'll buy something else first and then end up wanting an AB. It's just that * good.

7. Kris

Kris Sr Member

If you want the screenacurate hat for Indy 4, from the production company, you seek adventurebild. ;) Well .. if everything goes right that is :D

8. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

I think it's pretty much agreed that AB hats are pretty much as good as you're going to get. I debated about getting one myself, but in the end chose to get something that looked almost as good but saved me some cash.

HatsDirect have two models for the Indy fan to choose from: The Federation, and the Federation Deluxe.

http://www.hatsdirect.com/cgi/products.cgi?group=Fedora+Hats

I just got the Deluxe, and I'm very happy with it, and the customer service of HatsDirect can't be beat.

9. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Adventurebilt all the way... :)

10. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

If you've got the cash, AdventureBilt all the way. If you're poor like me, the Akubra fed deluxe is absolutely perfect - plus, AB didn't exist when I bought my lid :lol .

I've had mine going on 3 yrs now and it looks just as good as the day it arrived - and that's after wearing it in pouring rain, snow storms and scorching heat (though it's heavy so I wouldn't reccoment that too often - unless you like sweating). And if fits like a glove after all that.

-Fred

11. Zendragon

Zendragon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have had a few and hopefully my quest is at an end, I just ordered my own AB.

12. Doh!

Doh! New Member

If you're willing to settle for something less screen-accurate, there's always the Jaxon Iconoclast. It's a fur felt for about $50 bucks. I've worn mine in some pretty heavy rains and it's held up well.

The only major difference is that it has a teardrop bash instead of the Indy center dent.

But yeah, if you have the cash go for the Adventurebilt.

http://www.villagehatshop.com/jaxon_iconoclast.html

13. wackychimp

wackychimp Well-Known Member

Ok semi-hijack.... what about Indy Jackets? :D

14. Rabittooth

<div class='quotetop'>(wackychimp @ May 18 2006, 02:35 PM) [snapback]1246341[/snapback]</div>
    http://www.wested.com/home.html

Wested...makers of the original jacket. You want to get it in Lambskin.

-R

15. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(wackychimp @ May 18 2006, 02:35 PM) [snapback]1246341[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, Wested all the way.

There is also a great Wested jacket thread in the Archives. It's a must read..

16. Jediwannabe

Jediwannabe Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have a Baron Hats. They claim to have made the hats for TOD but people don't seem to believe their claim.

17. Doh!

Doh! New Member

I can vouch for the Wested jackets -- the lamb is VERY comfortable. Runs $300+ but I thought it was quite worth it.

18. ReelManiac

ReelManiac New Member

I've got a Wested in authentic goat, which is the perfect weight if you want something a little thicker than the lamb but still feels really soft.

19. Veldmaat

Veldmaat Well-Known Member

I got the Dorfman Pacific 100% fur felt (yeah, I know......).
    I didn't like the teardrop crown so I took the chance and used steam to change it.
    I'm thinking about getting an Akubra Federation though.

I'm doing it in small steps so I wont ruin it and here's what I've done so far:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know it's not done yet, but I'm actually pleased with what I've done to it so far, just a few tweaks and I'm done.

20. Darth Niob

Darth Niob Sr Member

I would take the adventurebuilt deluxe. Its the most accurat hat if you want to go for Raiders oder Crystall Skull Look. He is also the maker of the hat in Crystall skull.
    As for jackets go with wested or with the Todds Standard. Its very cheap in price but very accurate for the money:thumbsup

21. Marc

Marc Active Member

Ummmm.... thanks:redface

However BOTH Steve AND I made the hats for CS. Both made from pure beaver, both handmade, one with the goal to have the absolute best price / quality ratio possible, the other with the goal to make the absolute best Indy Fedora humanly possible, no matter what it would cost.

Regards,

Marc

22. darthjones

darthjones Well-Known Member

Marc!!! I didn't know you were on the RPF! Or if I did, I forgot - just turned 40 and my brain is a bit knocked around... :)

I have 2 Adventurebilt deluxes and made the investment because I will now never have to buy another hat again as long as I take reasonable care of these. One has not been used yet really and the other has been UNDER WATER COMPLETELY on 3 occasions in addition to a few rain storms and has not shrunk on me at all. Its shape has changed only VERY slightly but it is still a straight-sided fedora all around.

I also have one regular AB by Steve and that one has shrunk a tiny bit because of the cow leather sweat band as opposed to the kangaroo sweat used in the deluxe.

The deluxes are perfect Raiders hats. The AB regular is the perfect KOCS hat.

I have owned and gone through half a dozen Herbert Johnson hats over the years in addition to other hats and ONLY the AB's and a cowboy hat by O'Farrell of Santa Fe hold up to abuse completely.

23. Marc

Marc Active Member

Hi John. Good to see ya'. I joined in December after I missed the possibility of joining in August. Been lurking for a couple of years by now and was glad to finally get the chance to join.

Both hats are as close to the KotCS hat as possible, because both hats ARE the hats used in KotCS. We made over 40(!) brown hats, so that's over 20 ABs and over 20 AB-Dlx.. And before you ask, no, I cannot tell them appart myself :lol The custumer pointed out that the hats had to be IDENTICAL. And they are (lookwise). Heck, Steve and I spent so many hours on the phone over details that you'll never see in the movie anyway, to make sure everything would be identical (i.e. the width of the stitches where the sweatband is sewn together etc.). Steve sent some of his rawbodies my way and vice versa. That way we could match the color to be identical. We also exchanged sweatbands and mixed all up, just in case they'd show the inside of the hat in the movie. That way even WE wouldn't know who made it (real friends don't compete with each other:)). So both of us made some ABs with AB sweatbands, ABs with AB-Dlx. sweatbands, AB-Dlx. with AB sweatbands and AB-Dlx. with AB-Dlx. sweatbands :confused I even had some blocks made to match the one the costumer picked (and then the entire set later). So, whatever way you go, it's pretty darn close to a perfect KotCS Fedora:)

Anyway, I believe that the sweatbands used by Steve are goatskin rather than cow hide. It holds up round about as good as horsehide, but is softer to wear once it's worn in. The roo hide has a denser structure, hence it's quite tough to get it to shrink (but bloody expensive). That's probably the reason it's used for (good) bullwhips.

Ok, sorry for climbing up my soapbox again:redface I could talk Indy Fedoras all day:unsure

Regards,

Marc

24. darthjones

darthjones Well-Known Member

Right on.

I should have said that I dented/ shaped the deluxes to be more Raiders looking and the AB regular to be more KotCS looking.

All of them could go either way!

Not being very precise after a long day...

:)

25. DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet Sr Member

26. LiquidPhoenix

LiquidPhoenix Well-Known Member

Im heading to Orlando in march for work, I've always wanted a Indy hat so figured before I go might as well buy one and take with me and save some cash. I know I can buy them at Disney's Hollywood (mgm) but I can get the same hat off ebay cheaper. Question is Limited to $100 max whats the best in that range? Also, how are the crushable hats? Even worth taking a look at them? Advice please.

-LP

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  27. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

28. greatgarlando

greatgarlando Well-Known Member

I have worn my Wested Jacket almost every day for 2 years I love it. I love my AB as well Mark and Steve do an excellent job on their hats you cant go wrong with them.

29. LiquidPhoenix

Is their a place to view all of the Fedoras that are out there? I don't know which to get.

Thanks

-LP

30. Marc

Marc Active Member

Kalkamel is dead on here IMHO. If you're looking for an Indy Fedora within 100bucks, get yourself an Akubra. They're very well made rabbit felt hats and can both take a beating and a reblock if necesarry.

If you have ANY questions regarding Indy Fedoras, feel free to ask me. I'll give you as honest and un-biased answers as humanly possible.

Regards,

Marc

31. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

Here are some pics of my Akubra Fed next to my AB (AB on the left, Akubra on the right):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love 'em both!!

32. lingarn

lingarn Well-Known Member

Is that a Fed or a Fed deluxe?

I ask because your Fed looks better than their picture. :)

33. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

Thanks! That's a regular Fed.

34. LiquidPhoenix

I ordered the Akubra Deluxe Fed thanks to 2 indy gurus here. Anyway, whats the turn around time from order to getting it and any links to bashing it? Will it have to be weathered or shaved?

Also, does anyone know where to buy a mini Indy hat for a kid?

Thanks,

LP

35. Marc

Marc Active Member

If you take their standard airmail, it'll be round about 2 weeks to the US (if they have it in stock that is).

Before you order, I'd ask if they have a reg. Federation for the kid. I'd recommend buying it one size too big and then use the foam tape that comes with the hat. Put it under the sweatband to make it smaller and once the kid grows bigger, it can be removed without replacing the entire hat.

Just my two cts.

Regards,

Marc

36. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

37. Marc

Marc Active Member

Right again Kalkamel!

Regards,

Marc

38. LiquidPhoenix

Cool thanks. Should be a fun time. I went ahead and picked the faster shipping. The lady said I will have it by next Friday.

-LP

39. rickrickrick

rickrickrick Well-Known Member

Once again I am resurrecting an old thread from the grave.

No one here has mentioned Lee Keppler's Indy lid. It is fur felt, has an excellent RAIDERS look to it in the photos on the site, and sells for less than getting an Akruba shipped to the US does.

http://www.adventure-supply.com/fedora.htm

Anyone have an opinion about this hat? Own one? Like/dislike?

Any and all input greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Rick

40. Rabittooth

I've owned 2...awesome Indy Fedoras for a great price.
    Here's my latest Keppler lid:

[​IMG]

(I'm the one on the right.:))

-Rabittooth