Fatal Flaws in Sci-Fi Films: which ones drive you mad? I'll start it off...

but indeed, if Doc had removed the fuel injection system from the one he buried, it would have yet still rendered the delorean inoperable as fuel injection was not a staple of automotive perfection in 1955, which then would have made it so Marty would have disappeared instantly from 1885 because it would have taken Doc longer in 1955 to rebuild the said "fuel injector" he jacked off the 1885 buried Delorean to put on the 1955 reworked Delorean, so causing a shift in the time space continuum leaving Marty disolving like a bad film transition back to 1955...

but indeed, if Doc had removed the fuel injection system from the one he buried, it would have yet still rendered the delorean inoperable as fuel injection was not a staple of automotive perfection in 1955, which then would have made it so Marty would have disappeared instantly from 1885 because it would have taken Doc longer in 1955 to rebuild the said "fuel injector" he jacked off the 1885 buried Delorean to put on the 1955 reworked Delorean, so causing a shift in the time space continuum leaving Marty disolving like a bad film transition back to 1955...

...Where Doc could have transferred the time circuits into a properly built car, rather than one vulnerable to arrows!

...Where Doc could have transferred the time circuits into a properly built car, rather than one vulnerable to arrows!

The arrows didn't cause any damage. Marty ripped the fuel line on the underside of the DeLorean going over all the rocks.

The thing in Part III which always bugged me was the Fuel Injection Manifold. There is NO WAY it would go down and out if it exploded in the car. Instead it would have come UP since it's on the top of the engine.

-Gary

ESB - an otherwise awesome movie, but Han, Leia, and Chewbacca walk around an unpressurised space slug's stomach, using only repirators.

I always get by this one - along with how X-wings and TIEs steer (don't see too many attitude nozzles on them [or do X's have variable individual outputs on the engines?]) - by the fact that Lucas is emphatic that he's doing fantasy, not science fiction. So, if he feels that Han doesn't look like a swashbuckler with a space-suit on and decides the audience has to eat BS re pressure, then I can go along with that. It'd ruin the film if they wore spacesuits. Actually, even the respirators bug me a bit!

Re) Fantastic Voyage-Read the book People, your plot points are dealt with there. For me, in Independence Day, ( I Know there are a LOT of flaws,) to me the main one is, that their ships use Power Broadcast from the Mother ship. If Steve and David blow up the main ship, and on earth we take out the other ships, how do they make it back? There is no more power being broadcast.

That and ALL of Lost in Space, and the whole crossing 2 temporal vortices that propelled them far into the future, way past what was the sustainability for the survival of Earth. And of course going Through a planet to slingshot you out...Glerk is all I can say about that one.

I always get by this one - along with how X-wings and TIEs steer (don't see too many attitude nozzles on them [or do X's have variable individual outputs on the engines?]) - by the fact that Lucas is emphatic that he's doing fantasy, not science fiction. So, if he feels that Han doesn't look like a swashbuckler with a space-suit on and decides the audience has to eat BS re pressure, then I can go along with that. It'd ruin the film if they wore spacesuits. Actually, even the respirators bug me a bit!

Heh, who says that asteroid does not come with some kind of atmosphere ? ;)

Do you realize you never named the movie? :)
(Yeah, I figured it out. :lol)
Doh! Fixed...

Originally I had it in the thread title, but then I changed the title and forgot to point it out in the post. Thanks! :$

Re) Fantastic Voyage-Read the book People, your plot points are dealt with there.
Never read the book, as I'm sure most of the people who went to see it in theaters when it was released. Why don't you share your insight? :)

Edit: I just read the Wikipedia article about the movie and Asimov's novelization of it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantastic_Voyage

Asimov pointed out these very same flaws (great minds think alike! ;) ) and he added new plot devices to his novelization after the fact to address these glaring logic flaws. So my gripe is still valid! :cool

RR

Last edited:
That it takes Jeff Goldblum's character about an hour to write a virus (with proper graphics) to upload to an alien spacecraft about 1,000,000 times more advanced than anything on this planet and that on top of that he can negotiate a wireless network connection to said spacecraft.

How about a crop duster pilot knowing how to fly an F-18.

Didn't he say he was a pilot back in Nam? That definitely sticks him in the jet era. And they warned him about the upgrades in avionics. But the basics of flying have remained unchanged since the wright brothers.

-Fred

He might have said that, I don't remember. And I do realize that was a late change, and that they originally had him flying his biplane in the battle. Lesser of two evils...

Re) Fantastic Voyage-Read the book People, your plot points are dealt with there. For me, in Independence Day, ( I Know there are a LOT of flaws,) to me the main one is, that their ships use Power Broadcast from the Mother ship. If Steve and David blow up the main ship, and on earth we take out the other ships, how do they make it back? There is no more power being broadcast.
Didn't you see they crashed? They just needed a happy good feeling ending so had them walk out of there without a scratch... that one in a trillion type of deal.

They were supposed to have died, but it was changed, iirc.

Didn't he say he was a pilot back in Nam? That definitely sticks him in the jet era. And they warned him about the upgrades in avionics. But the basics of flying have remained unchanged since the wright brothers.
-Fred
He might have said that, I don't remember. And I do realize that was a late change, and that they originally had him flying his biplane in the battle. Lesser of two evils...
There is also a picture of him from 'Nam standing in flightsuit in front of jets.
ID4.jpg

Last edited:
The arrows didn't cause any damage. Marty ripped the fuel line on the underside of the DeLorean going over all the rocks.

The thing in Part III which always bugged me was the Fuel Injection Manifold. There is NO WAY it would go down and out if it exploded in the car. Instead it would have come UP since it's on the top of the engine.

-Gary

Doc had the car fitted with Hover modifications, so maybe they moved a few things. He also used VERY strong booze to try to start the car...

The Movie i hate is Battlefield Earth.
It takes cavemen one week of training in a flight simulators to fly Harrier jets in combat and after 1,000 years there is still working aircraft, weapons, fuel, and nuclear weapons........ HOW!!!?

It's not the films' fault but all future-set or high-tech civilisation SF films (and novels) made before the digital age

I wouldn't say 'all' a classic example of getting it pretty close in many respects is 1984... I guess you could argue that it was written in the 'digital age' as the first transistor that would make computers a reality was being invented a that same time... But most will agree the digital age came much later...

As for getting back on topic, a few fatal flaws I see all the time... The number of movies would be uncountable...

Exposure to deadly/harmful substances, that being viral, bacterial, or even common organisms, animal or plant life, or the air itself when visiting planets or other space ships or what not...

Second, translation and communication, never seems to be a real problem in most movies as everyone already speaks English...

There is also a picture of him from 'Nam standing in flightsuit in front of jets.
ID4.jpg

Funny you posted this picture. Before I edited my post (before I initially posted), I had written that he was probably either a Saber or Phantom pilot. And lo and behold, there he is in front of a Phantom :).

-Fred

How do they get from Hoth to Bespin with no lightspeed?

Solar systems are light years apart.

And they are still wearing the same clothes.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back