Farscape Props

is anyone doing a pulse pistol here currently? I just bought fabric for my john vest and holster. Trying to get a major head start for dragon con next year.

I'm planning on working on a pulse pistol some time soon. There is a good thread still up on the farscapeprops forum showing a good build up. Thinking of doing a similar process and making some alterations. This would be my first real build.

LuthienTinimiel, you sparked a memory and look what I dug up! Pulse pistols!
The top one is many years old - a resin cast of my first attempt at a pulse pistol with very bad reference photos. The second is my second attempt after finding very good reference photos - made of layer after layer of illustration board (what I had available at the time). The last is a bad resin casting bought off ebay - very warped and distorted. These were boxed away and in storage since Hurricane Katrina.
Currently working on a couple other projects now, but I hope to finish the second one. It's about 5-10% bigger than the one from ebay, but it also fits my hand. The grip on the ebay one is so small, I can only get three fingers on it!

I'm planning on working on a pulse pistol some time soon. There is a good thread still up on the farscapeprops forum showing a good build up. Thinking of doing a similar process and making some alterations. This would be my first real build.

I've seen that thread, very cool. I would love to do that some day as well. Currently, i've only done liquid latex stuff... ears and prostestics etc. but i'd love to get into the rubber molds and use resin. let me know if you do this!

p00k1333,
very cool! i love that you have your original build, it's awesome to see how far you came with good reference pics. That 2nd attempt is fantastic! I always wondered about size... i have tiny hands, but would love one as screen accurate as possible.

I haven't offered them in the junkyard or anything, but I do have Pulse Pistol molds. Mine are set up to use the functioning laser pointers and I have a box full of those too.

Okay, guess I'm doing Pulse Pistols then.

DSC_0940_zps74bb1c13.jpg

DSC_0941_zps3220c091.jpg

DSC_0938_zpscf87f57e.jpg

I'll start a Junkyard thread in a few hours and post a link here.

Oz

I haven't offered them in the junkyard or anything, but I do have Pulse Pistol molds. Mine are set up to use the functioning laser pointers and I have a box full of those too.

I must have one! I honestly wasn't holding out hope for the functioning laser, since I haven't seen any in awhile.

Hi, guys!

Besides being a Farscape fan, I'm also a jeweler, and for some reason I just now got the urge to make my own comms badge. I like the brass ones I saw in this thread, since it's most like what I wanted to do. I have all the tools to do the job, but I have no idea what the dimensions should be.

Also, I was told that John wore his on his belt - so, that would somewhat govern the size so that you could get that large a pin back on it.

I would sure appreciate any advice or info you guys could share with me.

Thanks!

... I have no idea what the dimensions should be.

I scaled mine off of the pop rivets which have about a .25" head. I can double check when I get home but IIRC they should be about 2.5"-3" tall and around 1.5" wide. I always assume that prop makers use "whole" numbers when making things and any odd decimals found in scaling are from sanding and parallax.

Hi DorothyGail-
I just posted a walkthrough of making a comm pin. Unfortunately, it's going to be my 'version one' because, of course, after making the pins I found much better reference material. Here is my new template I'll be using for my 'version two'. I came up with a finished size of 2.75"x1.75" (approx. 7cm x 4.5cm). I'll make an addendum to the walkthrough when I get the new ones done.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back