Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (Post-release)

What did you think of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald?

• Total voters
Yusuf was dying because of the poison from the water dragon parasite in his eye. Once Newt removed that, he recovered and continued his mission. This is, however, easily conflated with his assertion that he can't live if Credence doesn't die. Especially because one has to interpret from the context that his promise to his father was an Unbreakable Vow (it's not explicitly stated as such in dialogue). The way it's worded comes across more like the Potter-Voldemort "neither can live while the other survives" prophecy.

As for the familial connections, Yusuf's mother is Leta's mother. Leta's father is infant-Corvus' father. All were half-siblings by different parents, because the frikkin' LeStranges. Purebloods, amirite?

I'm curious about the phoenix Credence had. Did he take it from the circus? They had some pretty fantastic beasts, there. Otherwise, it was just there and he was feeding it. No hints that I saw of where it came from or that he was surprised to see it or anything. I could make the argument, if he took it from the circus, that it didn't "come to him", making his identity as a Dumbledore iffy (beyond the trustworthiness of Grindelwald's word).

I'm right that that was the Titanic that was the ship that sank, right? The math may work, there. It was about fifteen years prior to this film. So, depending on how old people are supposed to be (Zoë Kravitz is 30, Eddie Redmayne is 36...), maybe. Leta looked younger than fifteen when she swapped Corvus (duh), but Zoë's a pretty age-indeterminate person. Could easily knock three, four, five years off to make it fit... But Newt? Did he start at Hogwarts late? Have to repeat years because of his neurodivergence? That age difference is a little harder to fudge, given that while she could pass for mid-twenties, he definitely looks in his thirties. *shrug*

I liked the little byplay between McClaggan and Travers. It was a subtle thing, but I knew the name McClaggan rang a bell and went back to the HP books to refresh. Cormac McClaggan was a year ahead of Harry and in dialogue it was established his family had long-standing ties to the Ministry, particularly the Aurors' Office. Not sure if there's a distinction between Aurors and the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, or if they're different terms for the same thing. But Travers, the head of Magical Law Enforcement, had a Scottish first name and accent, and McClaggan had no problem telling an adult authority figure his opinion, implying familiarity. So much in just that brief interaction that made up for many of the continuity gaffes elsewhere. Like Minerva McGonagle. If it had just been her mother, or older sister, or something... *sigh*

Biggest unanswered question for me, at this point, is... If the swapped baby on the presumed-Titanic was a Dumbledore, who was he traveling with? Not going to presume continuity-borking unless and until demonstrated. After all, Leta and Corvus were traveling under the care of a nurse. Not-Corvus might have been in a similar situation -- escaping danger at home, under the care of a servant. One could argue a mother would have immediately recognized that wasn't her child. And, of course, if not a Dumbledore, then who? After two films of increasing build-up and misdirection, it better be answered and relevant, and not just a Mystery Box with no resolution planned or intended.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back