fallout papercraft mesh file help

MLG at DOW

Yes, I tried asking him- no reply. A guy on DeviantArt made this papercraft file of the fallout 3 combat shotgun, but I don't know how he made it! the pieces look like this: Capture3.PNGCapture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

This is seriously cool!!! He even made it 1:1 scale! How did he make these files- and make them to scale?! I want to make the Red Glare and the Shoulder Mounted Machine Gun from New Vegas like this, but I don't know how I could get the model and lay it out 2d and separate them for cutting. and how would you make it to scale???? I've included the links to the PDF and and the shotgun so you can investigate if you want! He said something about extracting the Mesh Files from the game, if that is a clue for anyone! Thanks and TTFN!

Links:
PDF- http://billybob884.deviantart.com/art/Combat-Shotgun-PDF-of-pgs-1-11-130127051
Shotgun- http://billybob884.deviantart.com/art/Combat-Shotgun-Assembled-130127006

You would need to unfold 3d file/mesh in pepakura designer, then You need to set the scale print it, cut it, glue it:)

Yes, I tried asking him- no reply. A guy on DeviantArt made this papercraft file of the fallout 3 combat shotgun, but I don't know how he made it! the pieces look like this:View attachment 704521View attachment 704522View attachment 704523

This is seriously cool!!! He even made it 1:1 scale! How did he make these files- and make them to scale?! I want to make the Red Glare and the Shoulder Mounted Machine Gun from New Vegas like this, but I don't know how I could get the model and lay it out 2d and separate them for cutting. and how would you make it to scale???? I've included the links to the PDF and and the shotgun so you can investigate if you want! He said something about extracting the Mesh Files from the game, if that is a clue for anyone! Thanks and TTFN!

Links:
PDF- http://billybob884.deviantart.com/art/Combat-Shotgun-PDF-of-pgs-1-11-130127051
Shotgun- http://billybob884.deviantart.com/art/Combat-Shotgun-Assembled-130127006

The model uploaded was the original game model. The guy extracted the model, then exported it as an .obj to pepakura designer, where it was unfolded for pep (he also applied the game texture as well). You can use Nifscope (free program) to open the original .nif files and convert them to .obj. You'll want to download Bethesda Archive Extractor to actually extract the game meshes before sending them through Nifscope.

HOWEVER, some modeling work MAY be needed, and the guy who uploaded the Combat Shotgun might have needed to do such work to make the model pep ready. The original models often have MANY overlapping meshes, some of which need to be removed, or corrected to be able to be pepped.

Also, there is no such thing a 1:1 scale. The objects are often much bigger in the game than they would be in real life, even in the new Fallout game. A good example is the Chinese Assault rifle, which has a real life counterpart, the AK-47. For "real life sizes", you'd want to build the Chinese Assault rifle the same length of a real AK. But many of the guns are fictional, and have no real world counterpart. Red Glare is one such example. To get the size that would match the scale of the real AK, you would open up the mesh (in say Netfabb) of both the Chinese Assault rifle, and Red Glare. Then size the C.A.R. to a real AK'S length. Record the scaling variable, and then apply it to Red Glare.

Keep in mind, some people prefer the more "screen accurate" look, with the larger scale. This is usually the case for more over the top, fictional guns. Say, a Gauss Rifle or you know, Red Glare. And another thing to note is that this rule does not apply to all of the handgun weapons. An example is the 12.7mm handgun, which is considerably bigger than a real handgun, looking more like Hellboy's handgun. Said gun would need to be sized individually, to your specific liking, rather than made to match the AK scale variable.

Sweet!! And can I mirror/flip the the templates so that the red glare would be a lefty-friendly gun? And is there a way to know how to assemble the pieces? Can I have a program label the tabs? Thanks!!!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back