Fallout: New Vegas Brush Gun - Finished (pg 2)

Re: Fallout: NV Brush Gun/Trail Carbine WIP

Ok, I didn't really want to throw any paint on this until I had got it right, but I was finding it hard to concentrate, my eyes were making all the pink, white and grey patches blur together. I needed contrast while I was sanding

So, with that excuse firmly lodged in my head, I stuck a coat of primer on it.

I've already stuck about 50 million photos on this thread, so here's a preview. The rest are attached

IMG_20120404_155628.jpg

View attachment 89605View attachment 89606View attachment 89607View attachment 89608View attachment 89609

View attachment 89610

That looks awesome, plan on making a mold for this? I'm also making molds of my revolver i your interested. I have only molded the cylinders.

I wasn't planning on casting it, I probably would have made it in 3 sections if I had. I don't really fancy hacking it up either. Having said that, if there was a bit of interest, once I finish all the projects I have planned I could go back and make another one for casting. We'll see

That looks really good!

I wonder if they were worried about licensing issues when they did the games if they had used a recognizable rifle? I would think it would be easier and make more sense just to pick a rifle that lots of people in the U.S. use now, figuring that a lot of them would be around. Several other NV guns are obviously real world guns.

how has the build been going, like how its looking keep it up :)
Eh, it looks exactly the same at the minute. It got put to one side as I started a build for my friends birthday (here-http://www.therpf.com/f9/heavenly-sword-almost-there-but-not-quite-152562/#post2334519)
Sorry for not replying earlier, but I was trying to avoid the forums so I wouldn't get distracted. Then the golf season arrived and I did get distracted....

I'm on holidays next week, I'll try and get it finished then

Last edited:

Alright, as promised, I got some work done on this over the last couple of days.

It had a coat of primer on it as I wanted a bit of contrast for sanding. After a few repetitions of sand - spray, I had it where I wanted it. So, I moved onto the barrel sights.

I had built the sights ages ago from styrene, but they were a bit fragile. Since I was using milliput for the banding, I figured it would be as easy to use milliput + styrene for the sights, far stronger and less fiddly

IMG_20120707_100917.jpg

IMG_20120707_100821.jpg

Quick total view. Note: I added a couple of 0.5mm styrene strips for those bits of the receiver that extend down the stock. I originally had them flush but felt they needed a bit more definition.

Untitled-6.jpg

Cut out the lever and test fit....perfect!

Untitled-7.jpg

And finally, today I began painting. The lever isn't attached yet, figured it would be easier to paint separately.

Base coats laid down....

Untitled-8.jpg

This is where I need a bit of help. When it comes to weathering, I know very little. I'm gonna drybrush the high spots, but what I really want is that grimy look on the side of the receiver in the texture mod pic (reposted below)

42356-1-1307993797.jpg

Help will be greatly appreciated
Cheers

Re: FO: NV Brush Gun WIP - Painting started, need some advice

Got up early this morning, started attacking it with various metal things to get a few dents/scratches and finished the topcoats.

Untitled-10.jpg

Figured out how to do the grime as well, you can see it on the lever in the right of the pic

You can't really see the woodgrain in that one, here's a closeup. Came out pretty good :)

Untitled-11.jpg

All that's left now is attaching the lever, trigger and hammer, then dirtying it up!

It looks like a real gun!
Haha, I wish I was that good!

The pictures do it a bit of justice, it's ended up far better than I hoped, but up close it's pretty obvious. Having said that, I have been thinking.

Originally I was going to use this as part of a costume, but the 'imitation firearm' law in the UK means that I could be charged if I was carrying this about.....

Reckon I'll just make a nice stand for it :)

I had an idea for the receiver effect, but you already painted the metal color! Anyway here it is anyway. You could try the "hairspray technique". You would paint the metal parts a darker metal color like steel then apply a lacquer based clear coat over that. Next you randomly spray hairspray on the black areas where you want it to be worn. Next you would spray the base metal color over that. After that you would use a stiff brush and warm water to wear off the hairspray under the last coat of paint. It should leave a realistic wear on those areas. Here's a site that shows the technique on a model: http://www.ipmsnmma.org/documents/The-Hairspray-Technique.pdf

I had an idea for the receiver effect, but you already painted the metal color! Anyway here it is anyway. You could try the "hairspray technique". You would paint the metal parts a darker metal color like steel then apply a lacquer based clear coat over that. Next you randomly spray hairspray on the black areas where you want it to be worn. Next you would spray the base metal color over that. After that you would use a stiff brush and warm water to wear off the hairspray under the last coat of paint. It should leave a realistic wear on those areas. Here's a site that shows the technique on a model: http://www.ipmsnmma.org/documents/The-Hairspray-Technique.pdf
Ah, cheers anyway.

I changed my mind anyway, just decided to do really heavy random weathering rather than trying to emulate the picture.

Should be done in an hour or so

Just a little bit behind schedule, but here it is, finished (apart from the screws, couldn't find that type anywhere, had to order them online and they quoted a couple of weeks)

So, excuse the pilot holes for the screws, and my rubbish photography skill...

I'm pretty happy with how it ended up, and I'm going to make a wall stand for it. When the screws arrive I'll upload a photo of it mounted, but until that time, I present you the New Vegas Brush Gun

if you are still looking for a peacemaker, theres a paper model for it in papercraftmuseum.com under the guns category. be wary though, most of the guns there are not full scale so resizing is likely to be necessary before printing. if anything it will give you a good outline to go by.

if you are still looking for a peacemaker, theres a paper model for it in papercraftmuseum.com under the guns category. be wary though, most of the guns there are not full scale so resizing is likely to be necessary before printing. if anything it will give you a good outline to go by.
Alright, cheers. I'll check it out

I was considering doing a Ranger Sequoia too, and while it's not based on a Peacemaker, it would be a start

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back