Fallout 4

Meanwhile, I have realized I need to not leave any food items in the workbench. I look in there and my mirelurk cakes, dirty water, purified water, brain fungus, and glowing fungus have disappeared. They don't touch the chems or the Nuka Colas or the raw meats or veggies or scavenged packaged stuff (Dandy Boy Apples, Cram, etc.). Not the other prepared foods I've made (squirrel on a stick, vegetable soup, yao guai ribs, ribeye steak, etc.). Just the water, the fungus, and the mirelurk cakes.

--Jonah

weird that they take those particular items. Mirelurk cakes that make you breath underwater?
What is brain fungus good for? I always grab it but I have no idea what it's use is/

At Sanctuary I have three of the best water purifiers and it makes 50-100 bottles a day. For some reason they don't accumulate so if you don't visit often they don't stack up. So usually there's only 50-100 there. I *think* if your settlement is happier they produce more. I'm not sure.

BTW, I didn't know this, but apparently you only need to give settlers one bullet or power cell of ammo for whatever weapon you give them and they'll use it forever. I read it online and then last night I tried giving one of them a minigun and 1 round of 5mm. He went to town on super mutants who attacked. I'd been giving them all 300-400 rounds a piece!

Here's some other pics of my hall of armor. The only mods visible that I have are Lore Friendly Posters (the pinups, Nuka Cola, etc.), repaired flags, and BoS X01 paint.
jLPv0uq.jpg FonocwL.jpg
Looking the other way on first floor
OUQzKwM.jpg LsFabNb.jpg
Top Floor
6DZyikt.jpg

I found this cool tank near Relay Tower OBB-915 (near Fort Hagen)
7FV5F5i.jpg

I've had to give my companions sufficient ammo, or they run out and switch to their default weapon. Weird...

As for the food/water oddness...? I have no idea why those specific items. They're hurting for neither food nor water. And I need to visit the chem station to see if the fungi are used as incredients for any drugs.

--Jonah

Brain fungus is indeed used for chems. No idea which ones though, never did much with that, just recall seeing it.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

Companions still need ammo, just not settlers.

Not sure if that's true. I gave some settlers missile launchers, and they did use up missiles from their inventory. Gave 8 missiles, after an attack, when the guy shot the launcher at the attackers, he only had seven left.

Pretty sure settlers need ammo, too. You just don't notice it as much because they don't fight as much as your accompanying companion.

EDIT: I'm reading as well others saying you only need to give one bullet and the settler is unlimited in ammo. Weird, because I know for sure giving them a missile launcher with multiple missiles, they'll use up those missiles. I think I noticed the same for hand grenades. Anybody know the full story here?

Last edited:
Well, I can confirm that giving a settler a laser rifle and one fusion cell, that settler was firing the laser rifle repeatedly during an attack. So, it is indeed true that giving them one piece of ammo for the gun is enough for them to basically have unlimited ammo. I can also confirm this does not occur with the missile launcher, you must give them a steady supply of missiles.

That tank again makes me wonder why nobody salvaged this stuff after the war. If a suit of power armor can sit out for 200 years and work i'm sure those troop carriers and other vehicles could. Always made me wonder why vehicles still have power cores in them yet the interiors are stripped too.

only need to give one bullet and the settler is unlimited in ammo. Weird, because I know for sure giving them a missile launcher with multiple missiles, they'll use up those missiles. I think I noticed the same for hand grenades. Anybody know the full story here?

I seem to remember reading that also happening when someone gave a settler a fatman (WTH would you do that?!?!?) and it running out. So maybe it's just "normal" weapons?

That tank again makes me wonder why nobody salvaged this stuff after the war. If a suit of power armor can sit out for 200 years and work i'm sure those troop carriers and other vehicles could. Always made me wonder why vehicles still have power cores in them yet the interiors are stripped too.

I'm guessing that a certain amount of vehicles, even if they had some EM shielding, were totally fried when the nukes hit. But yeah I'd think some vehicles would be up and running by now. If the BoS can make a blimp, then I'd think someone could get a car working. Of course Bethesda still thinks that there'd be moldy food around after 200 years. Speaking of that, they need to have a food preservation factory in one of the games or DLC. That could explain why all this food is still edible!

I seem to remember reading that also happening when someone gave a settler a fatman (WTH would you do that?!?!?) and it running out. So maybe it's just "normal" weapons?

I'm guessing that a certain amount of vehicles, even if they had some EM shielding, were totally fried when the nukes hit. But yeah I'd think some vehicles would be up and running by now. If the BoS can make a blimp, then I'd think someone could get a car working. Of course Bethesda still thinks that there'd be moldy food around after 200 years. Speaking of that, they need to have a food preservation factory in one of the games or DLC. That could explain why all this food is still edible!

I agree. I'd get it if the food was freeze dried as that stuff will stay fresh as long as the package stays sealed and no moisture can get in but half the foods are canned or tv dinners. Even using an aluminum can at some point something will go wrong.

Of course Bethesda still thinks that there'd be moldy food around after 200 years. Speaking of that, they need to have a food preservation factory in one of the games or DLC. That could explain why all this food is still edible!

Well hopefully this DLC would show that over motivated guy that is continously running through the wasteland, restocking all those fridges and cupboards with foods and junk!

I was thinking it was a bored person like that guy in Fallout 1 or 2 that was riding a bike in the wasteland refilling all the Nuka Vending machines as it was family tradition.

A couple funny things happened today that I haven't seen yet. Cricket (merchant) was at my Starlight Drive In settlement for the first time and she says something like "This place is full of farmers! All they want are stupid pipe pistols!" :lol Then I have Cait as a companion and I went to Piper to take her with me and Cait says something like "I was hoping we could turn it into a threesome..." and Piper says "Not going to happen Cait." I like Cait. Well post junkie Cait anyway. :)

Ya, that Piper/Cait exchange made ne laugh first time I heard it. Most of tge others are pretty boring.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

I wonder if junky Cait would have a different answer lol. Cricket reminds me of a hyper active anime character with a love of explosions she's so manic. There's actually a JRPG for the ps3 with a character like her. The girl joined the military because her last bomb making experiment took out her house lol

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back