Fallout 3: Plasma rifle build - Finished.

Re: Fallout 3: Plasma rifle build - Almost Finished!

I'd love to see the progress on this build, or if it was ever finished.

Further work on hold at the moment as my outside workshop is way to cold!
The next step is to get a good "plasma" effect in the clear barrel. I have concave mirrors and diffusers standing by to work with the green laser desiginator I also have. I should be able to get a good bright effect from that lot.

New work soon.

Just fantastic work! I am currently working on my first costume which is a Veteran Ranger from Fallout New Vegas. You have inspired me to build a plasma rifle as well soon.

Fallout 3: Plasma rifle build - plasmafication.

OK so a couple of weeks to go before Scotland's MCM Comicon but crucially it's now warm enough outside to work in the shed!!

Time to finish the Plasma Rifle, which means - LIGHTS!

I got some green EL Wire (electro luminescent) and rigged it up in the plasma feed tube from the grip reservoir to the main barrel.
Well I say plasma feed tube... actually I have no idea what this tube is supposed to be!!

Anyway - pic's:

The EL Wire fitted easily inside the plastic tubing and I somehow managed to fabricate a reasonable looking cylinder around the battery holder. Better still I have managed to retain the ability to open/close the battery compartment on this pack.

Here it is finished but still needing some paint:

The next step was to rig some sort of plasma effect for the barrel. The pic here shows a green-dot laser targeting scope from my er, pop-gun, very bright and visible at about 2km.

I rigged it up to fit the barrel quite easily but diffusing the beam sufficiently to be seen in daylight within the barrel was not possible.

Instead I have acquired a 1000 lumen LED torch of very similar dimensions and plan to fit this tomorrow. Initial tests show this to be clearly visible in daylight, and with the green filter, very plasmatastic!

Re: Fallout 3: Plasma rifle build - Plasmafication!!

A bit complicated this bit, the LED torch fitted inside a smaller OD section of pipe with the help of some foam packing to centralise it. Threading the EL wire through was a pain as I kept on forgetting to include various sections and ended up trying 4 times!

The torch works from a remote switch and has a full "ON" setting (1000 lumens) and a strobe setting. So I've mounted the switch pad on the fore end to make it easy to fire the odd shot off.

It's very bright as can be seen so the key will be to get something in the barrel to add some "sparkle".

The EL wire will be on all the time to give a "switched on and ready to go" look.

Unfortunately the EL wire is not that bright in daylight but the Comicon is indoors so probably there'll be enough of a glow to be seen. No such prob's with the main beam though!

Last edited:
How do you get the correct dimensions? I've always wanted to know that? I've seen SO MANY props from fallout that are life size but I was wondering how do you do it?

It was quite easy, although time consuming. I took the original picture from wiki and up-scaled it on a photocopier until the stock length (butt to pistol grip) more or less matched the length of my shotgun stock (12g O/U)! As it turned out with the plasma rifle when this was done all the other components very conveniently matched the dimensions of commonly available plumbing parts, which was weird!

If you don't have a handy gun don't worry you could just pin the copies to some card so you can hold it. In the case of the plasma rifle I had to stretch the stock to fit my monkey arms!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back