Falcon Gun Turret Displays

3DImpact

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I thought I'd try to tackle a somewhat obscure yet still iconic (it seems to me that there are a lot of those in Star Wars/ANH) prop replica this time - the Falcon's gun turret displays.

Falcon_display_Luke.jpg

Falcon_display_Han.jpg

The Parts of Star Wars folks have nicely identified most of the greeblie bits on these, most importantly the base display units:

PoSW_Falcon_display_small.jpg

So it was just a matter of gathering the bits and putting them together...

IMG_9341_small.jpg

IMG_9343_small.jpg

Watching the movie you can see that the onscreen prop had some red illumination inside the larger bottom display so I wanted the inside of that one painted red and inserted four red LEDs lighting the interior:

IMG_9345_small.jpg

IMG_9349_small.jpg

IMG_9348_small.jpg

IMG_9347_small.jpg

Time to paint and assemble:

IMG_9370_small.jpg

IMG_9369_small.jpg

IMG_9394_small.jpg

The various knobs were something I wanted in actual machined aluminum for the proper look. Thankfully, eethan has a great thread here where he is doing a wonderful job of machining these things. His work is superb and really made this project possible.

IMG_9962_small.jpg

Pretty much done!

IMG_0047_small.jpg

IMG_0048_small.jpg

IMG_0051_small.jpg

IMG_0053_small.jpg

The little red and yellow dots were provided by tatooinemachine and the so-called 'tophat' greeblies are the hydraulic fittings IDed here. I'll replace the small dot stickers with ever so slightly larger ones soon to better match the on-screen size and spacings and I'll replace the hydraulic fittings with eethan's custom-made bits as soon as I get them ordered and they are delivered. Other than that I think this is pretty much done! It's been fun and it makes a great addition to my gallery display.

Dan

Wow Dan!

That’s simply INCREDIBLE!!!

You nailed the look and feel perfectly!

This could definitely pass for the real thing- and the little remaining details will be the cherry on top!!!

Congrats on such an original replica!!

It’s so cool that so many others contributed research over the years! Truly a post of what the RPF is about!

-Sean

Beautiful !!!!! incredible build, hydraulic IDed look very good on it.
I am at the paint job for mine. The "white line" it is a kind of sticker? i don't know where to find that ^^'
And what did you used for the 2 blue button?

I am at the paint job for mine. The "white line" it is a kind of sticker? i don't know where to find that ^^'

Thanks!

Yeah, those hydraulic fittings are darned close - I think that's just verification that that ID is pretty much good-to-go. Until perhaps some vintage found version shows up I'm sure eethan's machined bits will look even better though, as they've been model fit to the onscreen reference.

I just used white vinyl tape for the various white strips, cut to size to match the reference images. I didn't have an ID for whatever off-the-shelf 1-inch blue buttons were used all over the sets in Star Wars so I just cut my own for now from 1/8-inch thick blue acrylic sheet. If someone can point out a source for those vintage buttons I'll replace those eventually as well...

Dan

Hey Dan, by curiosity, what is the diameter and height of the found fittings to compare to my machined parts please? Thank you
I'm really happy you pushed me to do those parts, the result is a really great little prop :)

For stuff like that I use vinyl automotive pin stripe tape, if you can find a roll like this then you get several different thickness all on one roll and it works out cheaper

Your prop looks absolutely fantastic. I love the red illumination great touch.

Hey Dan, by curiosity, what is the diameter and height of the found fittings to compare to my machined parts please? Thank you
I'm really happy you pushed me to do those parts, the result is a really great little prop :)

This ought to give you what you need...

IMG_0062.JPG

IMG_0063.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

And thanks again for all the wonderful greeblies you are machining - they are a great resource for this community and your work is much appreciated!

Dan

thank you, so yeah, they are quite smaller than my machined parts, so they should be a good accuracy improvement normally :) thanks Dan and your words are much appreciated!

This really came out great Dan! What part did you use for the simple round knobs on the back of the lower viewer?
Hey Chad, to answer you, Dan posted a full explanation on the size needed for those parts and what he used on my run thread here:

I think I should turn some simple cylinders of he proper size and offer a full kit for that prop with everything included for more clarity, it would be nice :)
cheers

hey guys,
I'm using Dan's thread again and I'm taking advantage of this to thank him because I originaly made those parts at his request and he has been a great help all along, so thank you Dan! I hope to work with you again! :)
I have just released full aluminium kits for this cool little prop if someone else wants to put this together :)
you can see the details on my project run thread:
IMG_20230707_114202.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back