Eve's Work in Progress - Female pred mask sculpt

are you gonna go for normal size dreads or thinner ones? My opinion is more abundant skinny dreads has a more female appearance.and longer like 3 feet

Here's a little tidbit for everyone..... the dreads in P1 and P2 were only 1" wide at the thick end. Pretty much every single dread maker around here makes theirs fatter than 1". This may have been more the dimensions of the sizes used in the later films (AVP on), I'm not positive, but I have completely verified my notes on the P1 and P2 dread sizes.

ok here ya go for the pics of my armature set up.

i had to carve out a hole in the bottom of my head. i put a plastic plumbing pipe in there and sealed it up with expanding foam.
built a swivel out of two pieces of scrap wood, a dowel and a pipe fastener attachment. had to drill some holes in the pipe fastener to screw into the dowel.
it is very sturdy and keeps my armature upright.

oh and a quick note on dread hole size. Lee told me to use a D battery. it is the perfect size for Booies dreads.

DSCN7210.jpg

DSCN7215.jpg

DSCN7212.jpg

in this last pic you can see my sculpt leaning way back do to the weight.

DSCN7216.jpg

Oooo I see...thanks for the tip that's really going to help me in the future for my next sculpts!!! I have to get a better armature though. Here is an updated picture of my mask though. I don't know if I really like the detail I put on the "forehead" area...wondering what you guys think...I'm really leaning towards taking it off and just making it smooth (I'm gonna sleep on it though lol). But I haven't really had a lot of time to work on it this week but hopefully I'll be able to get to it after class tomorrow...anyways please let me know what you guys think...

Thanks guys!!!

~Eve

IMG00278_20101103_2351.jpg

Okay here are some more pictures...I think I'm going to change the fringes on the lower jaw a bit but I'm not sure what I want them to look like yet. We'll see I kinda think they are cool right now cuz they give it a cool effect. Any comments or suggestions are welcome! Thanks for all of you feedback and tips thus far everyone!!!

IMG00279_20101106_0123.jpg

IMG00280_20101106_0124.jpg

IMG00281_20101106_0124.jpg

I personally like the fringes. It looks even with the way you designed the rest of the head. it also gives you a little bit more detail to it. Kind of like getting a cake with frosting on it.

Yea I really do...I had one but its MIA at the moment so I will be investing in a new one OR asking Santa Claus for one lol! But as for the mask, I was looking at it trying to figure out what exactly I was going for because I was kinda just doing what came to mind and that's what I ended up with. I thinks its kinda cool...it like Creature from the Black Lagoon meets Predator or maybe a Mer-Predator because the fringes almost look aquatic-like to me. But I still have some work to do on it. I want to start detailing the skin and putting in the wrinkles so I'm in the process of figuring out how to use the tools to do that. Although I must say, I can't wait to finally get to the molding part. I should probably get on the ball and order some burlap and ultracal 30. In any case, I will be doing some more work on it tomorrow so I will be sure to post some more pictures. Until then, everyone have a good night and thank you for all the feedback! :D

-Eve

I know I said that I would put more pics up but I'm gonna do it tomorrow. I just found this great video on youtube demonstrating how to do realistic skin texturizing which was a huge help for me. I've already smoothed out everything and evened it out to the best of my ability and now I'm adding detail to the skin. Anyhow here is the link that I was talking about... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGXlb5q4z9I

More still to come...

Yea I really do...I had one but its MIA at the moment so I will be investing in a new one OR asking Santa Claus for one lol!
-Eve

Dear Santa,
"You pay, what you owe!"

Boondocks ep. Santa Stalker

Excited to see how this progresses next. Just out of curiosity, about how much time do you get to work on this everyday?

Well I think on average I spend about 3-4 hours every other day if I don't have a busy week otherwise I'll spend a lot of time on the weekends working on it. Here are some new pictures though...I really do need a better camera. Its kinda hard to see the skin details. I think I'll see if I can get my mom's digital camera and borrow it for an indefinite amount of time hehe. I have to go back over what I've done so far to bring the texture out more but first I'm gonna head to the craft store to get some more sponges. I've been using a sponge/paper towel and rubbing alcohol to smooth everything out and its been working fairly well. Let me know what you think! Thanks!!!

P.S.
The Boondocks is an awesome show...I think my fave episode is when Riley and Huey get into a fight using a katana and a glock lmao!

IMG00288_20101109_0012.jpg

IMG00290_20101109_0013.jpg

IMG00291_20101109_0014.jpg

Okay its been a serious minute since I last posted any updates but I will hopefully have some new pictures up by the end of next week. I got extremely sidetracked because of law school exams (which start next Monday), family, CoD Black Ops and Pokemon Crystal...lol! Anyway, I added some more facial detail since my last post and I still needed to finish one side of the face. Hopefully I'll finish that next week. I hope to make a plaster mold over the break so I can stop worrying about how much longer my armature is going to last. Until then, hope you all have a wonderful weekend and I'll be sure to try and get new pictures up.

~Eve

I really like how you narrowed the crown and mandibles. IMHO, that is great way to feminize the Predator (Along with using the shape of the eyes). Can't wait to see the updates!

Well I think on average I spend about 3-4 hours every other day if I don't have a busy week otherwise I'll spend a lot of time on the weekends working on it. Here are some new pictures though...I really do need a better camera. Its kinda hard to see the skin details. I think I'll see if I can get my mom's digital camera and borrow it for an indefinite amount of time hehe. I have to go back over what I've done so far to bring the texture out more but first I'm gonna head to the craft store to get some more sponges. I've been using a sponge/paper towel and rubbing alcohol to smooth everything out and its been working fairly well. Let me know what you think! Thanks!!!

P.S.
The Boondocks is an awesome show...I think my fave episode is when Riley and Huey get into a fight using a katana and a glock lmao!
Guess hoes coming to dinner. And attack of the kung fu killer wolf bitch and anything with stinkmeanner.

Okay...as promised! Here are some of the latest pictures (and for those of you who are wondering yes the mask is laying on the floor because the stoooooopid armature is my enemy and refuses to cooperate...yet again lol). Oh and I apologize for some of the pics being sideways...I'm going to be working on further texturizing the skin and then hopefully it'll be good to go. I took the mandibles off since I'm going to be casting those separately plus it makes the mask easier to work with. So far I've used about 15 lbs of klean clay for the sculpt and I've also used rubbing alcohol and a sponge to do most of the smoothing. Please let me know what you think!

Also, I have a quick question...have any of you ever just bypassed the ultracal 30 casting phase and applied latex directly to the sculpt. I was just wondering because I have seen it done and the mask turned out pretty good but I was wondering if you guys/gals had any input on whether or not that is a good idea...Thanks!

~Eve

IMG_20101219_203903.jpg

IMG_20101219_203911.jpg

IMG_20101219_203935.jpg

nice!

you will want to mold it. just putting the latex on the sculpt will lose a lot of detail. plus you will have to flip it around or it will have to be a super thin coat to show the detail on the opposite side.
i highly reccomend molding it.

Totally amazing work. If this doesn't inspire someone to build a pred costume then nothing will. Lol Can't wait to c some updates. Great job.

Hey Everyone! This update has been a long time coming...so I decided to start working on a new sculpt. I'll finish my first one but yea...I'm going to have to fix it. But anywhooo please turn your attention to my new and improved, super sweet swivel armature (Thank you xdmray for the idea!!!). This is like the first thing that I've built that didn't have to do with peanut butter and jelly lol. But I'm going to do a "closed" mouth sculpt and I've been using a few reference pictures to help me along. I like the way its turning out so far but I'm going to need to order a crap load of clay since supplies are running low. I think there is about 5-6 lbs worth on the sculpt so far and most of it is in the facial region.

I've also ordered my lycra suit for the Mr. I-method latex skin and I've drawn up a template and bought some couch foam to help me map out the muscle pattern. And thats about it for now. I've uploaded a few pics so let me know what you think. Thanks!

IMG_20110811_161223.jpg

IMG_20110811_161230.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back