Everything great about ROTS

ROTS is clearly the best of the prequels. And I daresay, better than ROTJ. But it's still got so very much wrong with it. Too much to list. So let me just give you my best and worst the film had to offer.

Best: Darth Plagueis opera scene. Beautifully eerie.

Worst: The fact that Sidious' "Coming Out" completely overshadowed Anakin's fall to the dark side--a fall I'd been waiting over a quarter century to witness. McDiarmid was incredible, and his transformation from Palpatine to Sidious was brilliantly made. But I wanted Anakin's fall to be brilliantly made, and instead it was weak. The watershed moment when Anakin Skywalker fell to the dark side should have been the most important part of the film; instead, it was the most impotent part of the film. What a wasted opportunity. It makes me angry even now writing about it.

The Wook

I thought ROTS was the weakest of the prequels. The first two had their problems but I was willing to give them a pass if episode three tied it all up well enough, but what a let down.
You should watch his videos about them as well

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

ROTS is clearly the best of the prequels. And I daresay, better than ROTJ. But it's still got so very much wrong with it. Too much to list. So let me just give you my best and worst the film had to offer.

Worst: The fact that Sidious' "Coming Out" completely overshadowed Anakin's fall to the dark side--a fall I'd been waiting over a quarter century to witness. McDiarmid was incredible, and his transformation from Palpatine to Sidious was brilliantly made. But I wanted Anakin's fall to be brilliantly made, and instead it was weak. The watershed moment when Anakin Skywalker fell to the dark side should have been the most important part of the film; instead, it was the most impotent part of the film. What a wasted opportunity. It makes me angry even now writing about it.

The Wook
Personally, I think that helps it. If palpatinebwas always a villain, his decent wouldn't have been as believable. It's far too black and white. I like the grooming that happened here. The thought that went into it all. Both by palpatine and by Lucas.

And especially by that line, ''he's too dangerous to be kept alive". This video nails it

For those who don't enjoy the prequels, give this a chance. There's a lot going on there.

https://youtu.be/_KSbwAJT8RE

There ARE Three GREAT movies there..

the problem was lucas was surrounded by too many yes men that didn't have the guts to tell him this wasn't working well.

Get a better actor for adult anakin. Get a better non wooden performance out of natalie portman...
Get better non ethnic accents for the aliens..

edit out jar jar...

add in more SITH politics and cut out the galactic politics..

and you might have something.

There ARE Three GREAT movies there..

the problem was lucas was surrounded by too many yes men that didn't have the guts to tell him this wasn't working well.

Get a better actor for adult anakin. Get a better non wooden performance out of natalie portman...
Get better non ethnic accents for the aliens..

edit out jar jar...

add in more SITH politics and cut out the galactic politics..

and you might have something.
I used to think that he had too many yes men around.

But now, we are seeing what the alternative to that is. (TFA, suicide squad, star trek)

I'll gladly take a singular vision over this new "test audience" directed method.

The problem I could never get past was not that the movies themselves were bad, it was that, at every other turn, they were not internally consistent with the originals.

Example: Obi-wan never remembered R2, Vader didn't remember C3PO, Leia remembering her mother...and on and on.

When discussing reboots and prequels people often say "Why do you care, it doesn't ruin the original for you", but with these, IF you accept them as canon, then it does make the originals less good. Erasing them from my own head canon makes the originals more internally consistent. It also makes the clone wars more interesting.

~~~

Side note, have any of you seen this guys videos? I don't know who he is, but I wish he'd been involved in these movies. I love his take on them:

Last edited by a moderator:
of course, some things where impossible to walk around.

the obi wan and R2 thing for instance. but, then again, we see obi doesn't always tell the truth to young luke to protect him :)

The problem I could never get past was not that the movies themselves were bad, it was that, at every other turn, they were not internally consistent with the originals.

Example: Obi-wan never remembered R2, Vader didn't remember C3PO, Leia remembering her mother...and on and on.

When discussing reboots and prequels people often say "Why do you care, it doesn't ruin the original for you", but with these, IF you accept them as canon, then it does make the originals less good. Erasing them from my own head canon makes the originals more internally consistent. It also makes the clone wars more interesting.

~~~

Side note, have any of you seen this guys videos? I don't know who he is, but I wish he'd been involved in these movies. I love his take on them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgICnbC2-_Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAbug3AhYmw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wKqH6vlGHU
The thing is, other than the scene in the carbon freeze chamber, threepio was never in the same room with Vader.

And if you watch the prequels (and the clone wars) you'll notice that obi wan didn't care about droids. They were tools, not pets.

Anakin cared about artoo. It was considered a flaw amongst the Jedi.

Plus...he was lying his ass off to Luke.

The Wook

Well put on the worst. The entire set of flicks is supposed to be leading to THAT moment. Yet, it felt as if it was an afterthought. There was no fall...it was a couple flashes of bad and then, 'ok i'm bad now'. The show him struggling with whether or not to take down Mace and 30 seconds later, it's go kill a bunch of little kinds and he doesn't bat an eye, just 'ok'.

He went from edge of cliff directly to splat. No fall in between. And as I said, a bit of hesitation with mace, then no problem wiping out a bunch of little kids. Terribly terribly executed.

To this day. It's the only one of the 7 i've only seen once.

of course, some things where impossible to walk around.

the obi wan and R2 thing for instance. but, then again, we see obi doesn't always tell the truth to young luke to protect him :)

I think that's easily gotten around.

The line from ANH was 'I don't seem to remember owning any droid.' Not, i don't recall this droid at all. Never met him.

If 3po was never called by name in his presence, how would he know it's him vs another protocol droid?

Everything great about ROTS?

It has Ewan McGregor in it, John Williams did the music,...it was made by the same man who made Star Wars in 1977

Thats about it

LOL

J

I liked jar jar. Thought he was funny. They took it too far with him though, trying to make him a main character distracting from the plot of the prequels.

Hayden did a decent job as anakin but they definitely could have picked someone better.

Ewan MacGregor was the best choice for Obi Wan ever and nobody should disagree lol.

Either way, they were already shot and released so there isnt any changing them now. We must deal with what has been done and leave it at that.

Alex

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back