EVA foam Thor Suit

Kenosha Kid

A few friends and I decided to go as The Avengers this year for Halloween. I've never been happy with off the shelf costumes and I've been inspired by everyone here to go full tilt and make my own. I've never been to a con, didn't go to art school and really haven't tried my hand at a art/craft project aside from working on motorcycles, cars and home projects.

Browsing the forum, I'm really impressed with everyone's ability to create wearable pieces of art using limited materials, little to no training and pure passion for the art/hobby. I hope I can do some justice to the Thor character in my first attempt.

I'm using 3mm EVA foam I picked up from a local hobby shop and spray adhesive. I bought a 7" tall toy off Amazon to use as reference and to scale up everything so it's proportionate. Today I started with the left wrist/forearm guard since it was a small piece, not intricate and a good confidence builder. This initial run is just for practice so I get an idea for how the material works, how to pattern things, plan, cut and affix everything properly.

Here's a few pics of today's effort. Questions, comments, opinions and critiquing is always welcome.

IMAG0171 by Kenosha_kid, on Flickr

First 2 layers glued together to give the etched details some depth and definition

IMAG0172 by Kenosha_kid, on Flickr

3rd layer added for more detail

IMAG0175 by Kenosha_kid, on Flickr

Last little touch

IMAG0174 by Kenosha_kid, on Flickr

I couldn't help but give it a test run. :)

I'm glad this one is just practice. Already I've learned I'll need to make it a velcro on piece instead of a slip on cuff. It was easy going on but a complete pain getting off. I could see constant use would start causing the material to tear or rip in places. I'll use this one to work out the painting process as well.

Thanks for taking the time to view this thread, let me know what you think.

Thanks all! It's really nice hearing the positive feedback. :)

I'm finishing up my torso mannequin today so I can begin the chest piece and belt.

Finished up my manniquin yesterday. Don't have time to work on the suit tonight, I'm headed to Louisville to see Amon Amarth. I'm pretty stoked. :)

6070791537_3a332709eb.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back