Escape from New York miniatures

cylon

I own 4 original filming miniatures from that movie. They are made of wood and cardboard and considering the low budget production they weren't able to use other materials for the models. On the DVD Sense of Scale the Skotak brothers talk about their work on the movie. Some screenshots and pictures are below in which you can see the models on set.

Attachments

• efnybehindthescenes31g.jpg
    efnybehindthescenes31g.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 642
  • IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 567
  • IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 604
  • IMG_0038.jpg
    IMG_0038.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 419
  • efnybehindthescenes31c.jpg
    efnybehindthescenes31c.jpg
    547.4 KB · Views: 645
  • efnybehindthescenes31f.jpg
    efnybehindthescenes31f.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 425
  • PDVD_040.jpg
    PDVD_040.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 878
Some details highlighted. My showcase, the miniature on set and in a screenshot from the movie.

escape_miniatures copy.jpgPDVD_040 copy.jpgEscape from New York copy.jpg

Last edited:
the Blade Runner miniature buildings, even for large scale miniatures, cheated as well using cardboard and even sandpaper for roofing. Albeit there are many cast and off the shelf parts as well on the BR models but old tricks are he best tricks. EFNY didnt need anything more than what was used.

the Blade Runner miniature buildings, even for large scale miniatures, cheated as well using cardboard and even sandpaper for roofing. Albeit there are many cast and off the shelf parts as well on the BR models but old tricks are he best tricks. EFNY didnt need anything more than what was used.

yes, i absolutely agree. the old tricks are the best. nothing is more effective than physical models.

concerning the cardboard building from efny it's a miracle it survived for more than 30 years. it is very fragile.

There were several cityscapes made for EFNY. The Skotaks used photos of real buildings for theirs, since their shots comprised the wide night vistas and flyovers.

Mark Stetson and his guys built the B&W "wireframe" city to cheat the look of computer graphics. (Which I just love the idea of models imitating CG instead of the other way around.)

I'll have to ping Stetson on why the EFNY wireframe cities wound up in the "Blade Runner" art dept. The following photos are from very early on in the "Blade Runner" pre-production, likely just prior to EFNY's releae in 1981. This building was the old plant on Maxella that was used for "ST:TMP". It became EEG for "BR" and later became BOSS Film. There's a whole series of photos taken during the building's rehab and you can see this area (which I think became the EEG/BOSS modelshop) is neat and clean. You can see the foam core mock up of the Tyrell Pyramid in the background as well as Mark Stetson and the late Dave Stewart (pointing).

attachment.php

I think Doug is on the phone in the BG in this one:
attachment.php

Since this photo mimics one of the shots from BR almost exactly, I suspect these were set up to allow the Art Dept. guys something to play around with:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Those "slanted" structures look like the wings of the Tyrell Pyramid which leads me to believe that some of the models were modified for use on BR, if only just in the Art Dept:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Gene

Attachments

• BR-VM-EFNYBuildings-0021T.jpg
    BR-VM-EFNYBuildings-0021T.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 1,424
  • BR-VM-EFNYBuildings-0022T.jpg
    BR-VM-EFNYBuildings-0022T.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 1,639
  • BR-VM-GlencoeModelShop-0027T.jpg
    BR-VM-GlencoeModelShop-0027T.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 2,263
  • BR-VM-Pyramid-Mockup-0069T.jpg
    BR-VM-Pyramid-Mockup-0069T.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 1,367
  • BR-VM-Pyramid-Mockup-0070T.jpg
    BR-VM-Pyramid-Mockup-0070T.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 1,618
  • BR-VM-Stage-MegaCity-0067T.jpg
    BR-VM-Stage-MegaCity-0067T.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 1,423
WOW! Great pictures. I just dug out the two that I own. Had them for years. One is missing a few of the detail work on top. And yes, I'm happy to make sure some of this stuff lasts.
George

Back