ESB AT-ST

ok..
pulled the part...very intriguing.
my template for cutting this part is also on the armature drawing (albeit, it may be 97% off?), if you're interested.

like allan said (it doesn't scream -- HEY i'm the donor) -- it def needs a bit of work to walk the walk.

great work scott!

there's 4 of those half pieces in the kit...MAY be able to get up to 8 of them ...maybe. the "front" edge is actually a little asymetric, so it might matter how you cut.

Yeah, 4 per kit, I think each part can do 1 walker.

Here is how I cut mine knowing I had three spares to work with. The shorter length is what you see in my test fitaments.

DSC02347.jpg

For those of you thanking me for sharing I would in turn thank all of you as well. So much of the AT-ST was given to me by Lee, Alan, Jason, Quincy and others. I feel I am standing on the shoulders of giants. I could not keep such a thing secret. Plus, the kit is easily available. I know of two more locally that I could get tomorrow. Anyone bidding them up on ebay has no one but themselves to blame.

Last edited:
Scott this is a VERY interesting theory, a KNOWN donor, with a very close profile to the part in question.

I think your on the money, i know this doesnt have the rivet indent detail, but it would be just like ILM to add this anyway.

Much like Allans railbed/chassis find, its speculative, but at the same time, so damn right its got to be, good work buddy, its great to see new blood on the project, finding things we guys missed and had to scratchbuild.

bests......lee

whoa, ive been trying to follow all the ESB Atst build threads and this seems to be the first mention of the AMT lowboy that ive seen (Obviously i missed something.......)
seems like another kit i will have to pick up and figure out where the parts go.

I'm happy with mine too tbh, but since we have the kit in hands... hard to resist ! :D However I bought the SU-100 to replace the scratchbuilt toes but I never replaced it lol I'm affraid to not be able to match the color and weathering of the feet.

I'm happy with mine too tbh, but since we have the kit in hands... hard to resist ! :D However I bought the SU-100 to replace the scratchbuilt toes but I never replaced it lol I'm affraid to not be able to match the color and weathering of the feet.

Do it mate, its such a small detail, only you would notice tonal differences :behave

I've been sorting through my box of parts and trying to track down the last few I have not yet harvested. Can someone point me in the direction of this part?

torso-part.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
Part C came from the Sd Kfz 223 guys. This came about, well it was kinda my fault more like.

In the movie still of the walker, you CAN see a part hanging off the BACK, of what me and Allan felt should be an untrimmed M5A1 fender, i kept seeing this and it was bugging the hell outta me, so Allan came up with this array.

Pretty sure the ILM M5A1 part must have had a clean break in this area, but check out the Chronicles pic, there does seem to be an extra piece during the shoot!

lee

Sorry guys...just trying to clarify. Wasn't part C from the M3 Lee? You would know best, Lee, since you id'd it but I was just wondering if the 223 you mentioned was a mistake and you meant another kit. The parts in Allen's build look like the M3 Lee parts. Please verify, sir. Thanks!!!

Joe

You are probably right Scott, im getting old buddy :lol. I do forget LOTS lately.

lee

I'll say forgetful...you can't even remember who you are responding to. ;)

I must admit I was scratching my head looking in the 223 for those parts. Thanks Joe. I'll dig out my M3 this evening.

I haven't had any time to do much work. I've got plastruct on the way. Guy pointed out to me that I had the wrong dishes for the cheeks...stupid $20 minimum. We should start a pool order where everyone who only needs one or two parts can team up to meet the minimum.

I think I may have found another part. I shared with a couple of people to get their opinions. Since they think it looks good here it is. I trimmed the part and drilled the hole out to 3/32".

f20.jpg

I've been hitting the kit scans to try and find the parts for the inner right thigh. I've found a couple of close-but-not-its in the F1 kits. The part screams trailer hitch to me...or maybe an axle support of some kind. No luck so far. Is anything known about the flat part that it and the F109 part sit on?

I have also been staring at the the front of the upper leg where the Titan part sits. Did everyone use the wheel part from one of the AMT trucks or trailers? They seem a perfect fit for the 8rad part. I've been trying to tell what is under there, but I just can't decide if I am looking at kit details or glue blobs.:unsure

Thanks

Last edited:
I'll say forgetful...you can't even remember who you are responding to. ;)

I wasn't going to say anything but I thought it was funny, too! :lol BTW, I always thought it was cool how Lee found the Lee part. :rolleyes Too immature?

You're proposed Flak38 part looks close but remember that there are what appears to be weld lines on the opposite end. Also, I'm a firm believer that ILM didn't go out of their way too often to modify small parts like this. But I could be wrong.

The inner right thigh part(s) is something I've been working on as well. I actually just manipulated some ref pics in Photoshop to try and bring the detail out of the shadows. In the SS model ref, the raised part appears to be sitting on a small base that then sits on the long flat mystery part. I suspected the 1/30 Bandai Hummel part below (which is a kit scan taken by Jase that I borrowed from his site) but it just doesn't look right. On the Hummel part, the raised cylinders are too off-centered compared to what I think I see in the ref.

hu.jpg

I also thought of using the AMT truck rim for the upper left leg part. Pretty much all the trucks...C600, Fruehaufs, Titan....fit with the 8-rad. However, the reference does not show the lip at the base of the rim as seen on all the kits.

And lastly, on a side note. For anyone looking at the Fruehauf part that sits on the Karl parts. It is in fact from the Fruehauf Flatbed as pointed out to me by Allan and Julien in Guy's thread. I just wanted to mention this to those who want uber accuracy. The same radius rods in the Fruehauf Tanker do not have the push pin markings like on the Flatbed. Anyway...

Joe

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back