EP VII Millennium Falcon

So just for fun I made a replica of the Dykstraflex camera. it has all the same axes of motion, and runs on a dolly track. here's a test fly-by of the new Falcon, where the model was scaled to 5', and was stationary, with a simple rotation movement as if it was on a motor.

Last edited by a moderator:
built the dykstraflex in sketchup, as well as the Falcon of course, but I'm animating and rendering in a student copy of 3ds Max. As you can see, I don't know squat about shaders and whatnot, but I'm getting there. Anyway this is just a proof of concept for the camera movement.

built the dykstraflex in sketchup, as well as the Falcon of course, but I'm animating and rendering in a student copy of 3ds Max. As you can see, I don't know squat about shaders and whatnot, but I'm getting there. Anyway this is just a proof of concept for the camera movement.

03-19-15%2Bflyby_1.gif

Attachments

• 03-19-15 flyby_1.jpg
    03-19-15 flyby_1.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
If you are going to use 3DS Max then look at using Mental Ray as your shader -- You will find the results will really bring out the details in your model --

Excellent work on your camera rig, the flyby motion is perfect --

attachment.php

ok got the final panel layout from the 5' Falcon, and approximated the hole for the access pit. Much happier with it now, but I won't be satisfied with the layout until I see the whole ship without something in the way... cannot wait for the trailer. I'm going to be excited to see it no matter what, but I'm going to be a little disappointed if there aren't more shots of the Falcon.

Attachments

• panels.png
    panels.png
    826.7 KB · Views: 1,245
I agree, it does look pretty cool in motion. At this point I'm pretty much sold. It has a reason for being that connects it directly to ROTJ, and does a great job setting this series apart as new at the same time.

And, if I may add to this, I feel that the new rectangular dish is far better than the circular; the Falcon has a better balance to it that still manages to make the ship look sporadic and random.

apart from scale, they are about 80% identical, with the main differences being the curves cut out of the dish, a few extra greebles, and the support structure is completely different. I'll be interested to see what other ideas they had when the making of book comes out.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back