electrostatically flocked superman cape?

kenobibale

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
hey guys,
so my attempt at building a tron legacy costume has been ruined by lack of funds at adding all those fricking lights so i have decided to do superman, i attempted superman when "returns" came out and made everything except the shield and belt myself and to be honest it looked like crap especially the cape...which i made out of pleather, having decided i hate the look of the returns cape i was thinking of doing my new cape using electrostatic flocking like the batman begins cape, so not only is it lightweight but also has that velvet look which i think would look bad ass as a superman cape, i have found a waterproof nylon fabric that is light weight and bright red and was thinking of flocking the outside in a darker red, not as dark as the "returns" cape perhaps maybe more "crimson" than the bright red underneath. i quite like the idea of the two colour cape.

all of the companies i have inquired about here in the uk are looking for minimum of 50 metres of material to flock, so does any one know of somewhere else to get it done or would anyone be interested in a run of the fabric? maybe this isn't the right area of the forum to ask about a run?

waterproof fabric light weight
provided the supplier can get me 50 meters of the stuff they offer it in 100 meter rolls. its 150cm wide and bright red i figure it would take about 3 meters to make a cape with the semi circular pattern of 150 cm for the diameter from the center point meeting the neck.

if anyone has anything to add jump in please. also the suit im using is from bronze armory but the "racing stripes" are not symmetrical...bummer i know but i got the thing the year "returns" came out so too late to return, thinking of getting one from Ricky custom costumes, any body else have one? thoughts?

the shield and belt i got from costumebase on ebay a few years back and suit me fine, so all i need is the make the cape and some boots.

look forward to hearing from everyone

I actually had a similar pain in the neck when trying to source a company to flock a cape for a TDK cape last year. Given the fact that the cost was insanely prohibitive when you combined the volume required, the cost of the process and the price of the base fabric we ended up forgoing the flocking and instead sourced about 9 yards of lightweight silk velvet. Unlike cotton or synthetic velvets the stuff was incredibly light weight (it actually weighed less than the ripstop parachute nylon I'd originally intended to use), had an even and beautiful pile, it draped perfectly and flowed with movement much cleaner than the nylon. I believe we found it priced at about $35-$40 per yard. Pricey, but less expensive than buying 50 meters of material then paying to ship it to the flocker, paying to have it flocked and paying to have it shipped back.

Just an alternative idea that may prove more cost efficient if you can source red silk velvet.

thanks MrRetsej, i think you may be right, one company got back to me and is looking a small fortune to flock the fabric. i think thats the end of that. i did find some dark red micro suede, which is a similar fabric to that fo david tennants doctor who coat and i actually have one of those and it flows great and looks nice to so that might be an option but i will def look into this silk velvet

thanks

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back