Edge of Tomorrow - EXO SUIT - Build Thread

I think for the most part I'm really happy with the model. I updated a bunch of little things based on the images flimzy provided. I'll be double checking all the references before I go to fabrication, but all in all I think I'm playing in the same park as the original for sure.

-Devin

Screen Shot 10-09-14 at 10.37 AM.JPGScreen Shot 10-09-14 at 10.38 AM.JPG

TFS flimsy, very gracious of you:cool...and Devin, this is very well made indeed; with that level of quality, it'll be great to see the suit being built.

Hey Flimzy! Good to see you here!!
I know you've seen the movie now. Cool huh? Shame so many of our props didn't get much of a look in. Oh well.
Your practical transponder did alright though. :)

Looking great Devin. Flimzy is definitely the person to go to for help.

Devin, once you've finished the suit please make a set of these. Then you'll just need to knock up a drop ship. :D

photo[1].JPG

IMAG0096.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Flimzy! Good to see you here!!
I know you've seen the movie now. Cool huh? Shame so many of our props didn't get much of a look in. Oh well.
:D

Hi Niel. or should I call you Vos. :) I know such a shame your drone didn't jet in? I did know anything about the door gun till I saw the movie there a scaled up version of my angel wing arms, wish I'd seen them.
Iooking forward to bumping in to you here :) after all you are one of the most talented model makers I know. Hope we get to work together again soon. I turn down a job with Pier because I'm locked in to this Dr Strange thing but he did tell me what the film was?

Necrothread resurrection:) For the helmet, it is an airsoft version with side panels? Anyone have a lead on one?

Necrothread resurrection:) For the helmet, it is an airsoft version with side panels? Anyone have a lead on one?

Here's the helmet I used.

Hey Gang!

Hope everyone is staying safe during these trying times with all the COVID19!

I want to apologize for not being being very active over that past few years. Life as been a bit crazy, two kids, new job, etc.
If you don't already know, I'm Devin White of Blue Realm Studios. I'm using my own handle now moving forward.

Now I know its been 6 years since this movie came out.... but hey I'm stuck at home with no projects to work on so I'm going to start building this bad boy out.

My plan is to start splitting up parts and throwing stuff on the 3D printer.

I'm making small tweaks to the model as I'm splitting stuff out. Thanks to Flimzy posting some amazing CAD shots I've been able to see some geometry that I didn't see before. I'm also adjusting scale and stuff based on found parts. I found the binding screws that were used on all the rod ends and because I know the head cap is 16mm I can now adjust the other measurements accordingly.

1586885999345.png

The forearm/hand assembly got an overhaul recently so I figured I'd share that. If you reference my old pictures you might notices a few changes: rail sections, overall scale, added detail, switching to metric units instead of standard... cause duh (the props were made in Europe).

1586886155197.png

I also made the plunge and bought two used digital cameras off of ebay for the weapon systems screens. The plan there is to maybe make an animation sequence with sound and upload it to the camera so that the video plays on the cameras LCD like a little video player. Olympus Tough Stylus TG-630 if anyone is interested.

1586886530937.png

I also have a CR10 S5 on the way so I can put more than one part on it at a time to speed things up possibly. I'd also like to add i'm not going to spend much time cleaning up these parts with sanding and what not. The original props had some serious grow lines going on because they were also 3D printed. So hey that works in my favor, plus I hate sanding parts out.

Here's a pic I snagged of the og costumes when they were on display at comic-con a billion years ago, in all its grow line glory. Thank goodness for weathered paint jobs!

1586887015583.png

_Devin

Here's the helmet I used.

One update is I feel like the helmet I have looks too small. I keep noticing that all of the pictures of the actors in the helmets there is much more room between the head and ear section. Even Tom who I know is a smaller guy the helmet like bobs and shifts on his head as if its too big. The helmet I have seems way to small for that. I did find another version of the helmet on ebay that is marketed as XL so I'm hoping its a cheep solution to the size issue. Otherwise the real ballistics version must have been the way they went... which is probable because all the props that are on prop store are cast. So I'll keep you posted once i get the new version in from china.

2020-04-27 07.54.25.jpg
2020-04-27 07.51.00-1.jpg

Wanted to drop a few pictures in this post as well. One fun thing I'm doing for any assembly pieces that don't require screws or other fixtures is creating threaded attachments so that you can assemble the part right off the printer. These handles have threaded bolts that screw in to the rod section.

I've enjoyed making the threaded sections so that the pieces just go together straight of the printer.

Attachments

• 2020-04-29 19.39.19.jpg
    2020-04-29 19.39.19.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 120
  • 2020-04-30 08.49.14.jpg
    2020-04-30 08.49.14.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 113
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back