ebay user "dirtydom69" has recast my parts!

He's offering a full Hoverboard replica, too. The decals on that board are clearly made from my hero file. I don't mind (as long as he doesn't offer the digital file for sale). But the question is: Is there anything on his stuff, that is made by himself? :lol:

He's offering a full Hoverboard replica, too. The decals on that board are clearly made from my hero file. I don't mind (as long as he doesn't offer the digital file for sale). But the question is: Is there anything on his stuff, that is made by himself? :lol:

Oh in that case burn the sod!

Can i play devils advocate for a minute? I dont know the ebay seller at all or if theres any history of this kind of behaviour.

But recasting is really time consuming and even costly... this is a relatively simple part and it seems recasting would be harder than making the part from scratch...

So much so i question if its really a recast and not just a very similar looking part that maybe used the same references to line up the recessed screw holes with the ripples?

Personally looking at the photos I cant see the little deviations between yours and this person part... I mean the marks and damage bits...

If I made this part that lined up the screw holes the same as yours, would I be accused of recasting?

anyway thats just my bit

Whilst these look like simple parts, creating them (or any part) takes a whole lot longer and more work than recasting. I'm not sure how you think pouring silcone over an existing part is harder then creating a part from scratch?

If you made a part it wouldn't be identical to mine. The issue isn't just screw holes, it's the entire part, it's identical in every way and clearly a recast of my part.

How likely do you think it is that someone created their own part that just happened to be identical to mine in every way (including the errors I made in the design)? This is the classic recaster argument "I made the part using the same references so of course mine looks like yours" - it doesn't just look like mine, it IS mine.

Well calm down... If it is your part them go after them. But I'm just saying the cost and time of taking silicone and resin to recreate this part. You could have easily just 3d print it...

But as you say you put errors in... What errors are you talking about?

Because I see a couple of blemishes on your part that isn't on the duplicate...

I'm not defending the guy I'm just throwing in some extra reason. Instead of simply jumping to conclusions...

Well calm down... If it is your part them go after them. But I'm just saying the cost and time of taking silicone and resin to recreate this part. You could have easily just 3d print it...

But as you say you put errors in... What errors are you talking about?

Because I see a couple of blemishes on your part that isn't on the duplicate...

I'm not defending the guy I'm just throwing in some extra reason. Instead of simply jumping to conclusions...

I've messaged the guy and he's stopped selling them, nothing more I can do. Providing he doesn't sell them again then we're all good.

I don't get your logic re: costs, you'd need silicone and resin to make a mould and produce casts regardless of whether you created the part or recast it, so you'd always have those costs.

I didn't "put errors in" - I mean the overall design and bits I got wrong in the design of the part (don't forget all the parts have been recast, not just the centre "battery" we're talking about). I'm not talking about minor blemishes in the finish, i'm referring to the overall shape, dimensions, look, nuances of the part, that someone else wouldn't create if they made their own version (whether it be made in clay, wood, 3d printed etc).

You do seem to be erring on the side of pro-recasting which is pretty worrying. You can tell (well I can!) that these are my parts a mile off!

Last edited:
" easily just 3d print it "
3D printing might be easy for YOU..

But maybe some do NOT have a 3D printer?
Maybe some do NOT know how to use modeling software?

if someone took your SG project and re-cast it... would that be fine? (even if one could have just modeled it themselves and 3D printed it?)

I dont 'think' you mean it that way.. but it comes off as: "if the part is deemed not 'difficult' its ok to recast it?.. or if not difficult part (to you) it doesnt matter either way?"

Last edited:
Though I realise this is totally different... Im not going to release the stargate, stl files or even sell the model. I mean some one would have to pay me a heck of a lot of money to make another.... But this is also why i dont release stl files, ive had art theft happen to me before...

Also Im not trying to come across as rude, that wasnt my intention... nor am i trying to troll.

As for 3D printing. esp FDM printing is so accessible now. You can pick up a decent FDM printer for less than 300 quid now.
Compare it to 10 years ago when it was still new. Now nearly everyone and their grandmother has one... So most makers are very likely to have one.

If he is indeed casting his original part, then sure its out of order. And if hes stopped selling the part after you told him to... Soooo then its likely he was casting.

My feeling was (even though I was wrong) that casting accusations were a bit quick off the bat.

No offence to the op. The part in question is a pretty simple part and to risk an analogy "there are only so many ways to make a cube..." My argument that some one might have used same references to line up ribs and screws to make the block, is fair....

But if you say, made the ribs randomly. Using you're own artistic license coming off bad quality shots of the part or something. Then that indeed makes that yours and easy to spot it being recasted.

Same with my voyager tricorder, Theres enough custom bits i designed myself that would make it easy to spot if it got recasted (if i was to sell it on mass)

Anyway, as the op says hes no longer selling the parts. So, im glad its been resolved.

Im sorry for any misunderstanding or stress i may have caused.

I don't suppose you can tell if these are your Mr Fusion graphics can you? (for sale by "dirtydom" on ebay)

Noticed the only other post "JO19607" has made was on a thread asking about your Mr Fusion decals, and now this ebay user is selling some...

Contact eBay's Vero program: vero@ebay.com

They're actually really good about taking down offending auctions. We've done it many, many times. Our complaints are usually about stolen images, so it's pretty straight forward, so your case may be more complicated to explain, but it's worth a try.

I don't suppose you can tell if these are your Mr Fusion graphics can you? (for sale by "dirtydom" on ebay)

Noticed the only other post "JO19607" has made was on a thread asking about your Mr Fusion decals, and now this ebay user is selling some...

You can see three versions of those decals in the movie. My PDF contains perfect copies of all versions. His decals are a copy of the ones from the opening scene of BTTF part II. It's hard to tell if he printed my decals or if he made himself a perfect copy of the screen used decals. But even if it's mine, he can do that, I don't mind.

Sorry guys it’s not me ( again) I don’t really post in here much as I don’t feel the need to. I have not even started on my mr fusion it’s still very orange and in the box, I never got a reply on my post and to be honest forgot about it as it was ages ago, but now Roland has shared his design I hope he will be ok If I get one printed out so I can make a start at some point, one a side note does anyone know where I can get a base from that’s not going to cost a small fortune?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back