Easy Cast clear resin - good? bad? fugly?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by hydin, Feb 24, 2006.

1. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

2. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

3. hydin

4. exoray

exoray Master Member

Yes, it's made by Castin' Craft but it's not the polyester stuff you normally see, I know it's avertised as an all purpose casting resin, but it's really geared more towards use as fake water in floral arrangments and the sorts...

I don't know if I tried the Castin' Craft version of the epoxy 1:1 as several of the bottles I have laying around are generic non branded bottles (so they could be Castin' Craft), but with all the competitors versions I have tried were hit and miss, very tempermental on the mix ratio, they didn't dry real hard, you could still dent them with a finger nail after 2 weeks, and they do have a slight yellow/orange cast to them, that darkened over time...

The only real positive thing about them is they degassed * good even outside a vac chamber...

IMO after trying MANY clear casting resins, Smooth On is the far in front leader, with Alumilite being a distant second (mostly because it has a much higher viscosity and is harder to degass) everything else fell way short for in mold casting... For fake water in model scenery Polytranspar 'Artificial Water' is top notch and used almost exclusively by taxidermist... But, I wasn't real happy with the in mold results from Arificial Water...

5. Jedirick

Jedirick Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

6. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Have to chime in with support for smooth-on. Very user friendly stuff, if you have a Pearl art store near you, give em a call, see if they have what you are looking for. The pearl here in Tampa has tons of smooth-on products.

Njc-------------

7. hydin

8. exoray

exoray Master Member

I already did... It's not that good.

Recap
    There are several companies that market this product under their own rebranded name, several of the bottles I have lack any and all company info, just instructions and all are identical even though they were purchased and braned different...

9. hydin

10. blufive

blufive Sr Member

In my opinion, anything that is "over the counter" will be fugly. You know the Smooth On is good stuff. Invest in a compressor and pressure pot and use the Smooth On. I know you know it's the best.

:)

11. replicaprops

replicaprops Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

12. hydin

13. damon5973

damon5973 Well-Known Member

so if this stuff is so good, why arent the people making the holo chess pieces from it? can you add a purplish tint to it? Or is this already being done and I am out of the loop.........which is probably the case :unsure

14. exoray

exoray Master Member

I guess that would be better asked of the person making them... But, I would guess it boils down to the simple fact, that getting perfect clear castings is a lot more work then getting a workable regular resin one that will be painted...

15. hydin

16. MR BARLOW

MR BARLOW Well-Known Member

YOu got that right :(
    Ive been doing tests with a number of clear resins. Most are double or more the cost of regular resins, have really extended cure times, and sometimes castings need to be baked after demolding. Also the success rate of some of these pieces even having to pressure pot them isnt 100 %. Aside from that Ive already molded my #8 piece I did twice because I got better reference and changed it to be more accurate. Id have to remold a 3rd time with platinum silicone :(

Honestly I dont think many people could justify the cost of clear pieces, especially times 8, to have the whole set.

I do have a couple ideas that might be an alternative and look cool.

:)
    B

17. Darth Cross

Darth Cross Well-Known Member

Mr. B, one thing you could try is Smooth-On's Color Match 325. It's pretty clear without any pigment added. With just a very small amount of pigment it coud possibly give a transucent casting. And it aslo costs about the same as their 300.

Just an idea.

18. MR BARLOW

MR BARLOW Well-Known Member

Thats one that Ive tried :( it is fairly yellow/clear, even if I add slight tint to offset the yellow, a main problem is the thickness of the characters body. The heat buildup and concentration of material still makes the body more opaque than clear, even down to the legs where the heat is trying to escape.
    We also have a textured sculpt, so even if I crystal clear it , the sculpt itself still obscures the transluscent effect.

B

19. damon5973

damon5973 Well-Known Member

I understand now....being that I have NO experience in resin it is clearer now...no pun intended. :)

I have seen the other pieces out there and they look great even as just the resin castings.

good job guys....