DURGE, SW: Clone Wars Bounty Hunter

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by The Clone Emperor, Jan 17, 2006.

1. The Clone Emperor

The Clone Emperor Well-Known Member

I wanted to share a couple of recent images from my DURGE armour progress:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    photography by Art Andrews aka Brak's Buddy, Chicago 2005.

I have been working on this suit and accompanying props since the beginning of 2004. I still have a fair ammount of construction to go. Currently I am working on sidearms and holsters. I'd like to have DURGE's jetpack done for this year as well.

Be well,
    Thomas

*DURGE is a character from the Star Wars: Clone Wars, animations and comics.

2. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

* amazing job Thomas. I've been following your post about this and boy, did it turn out great.

3. Hangar18Studios

Hangar18Studios Well-Known Member

Looks fantastic.
    I always like seeing well-done, custom stuff on the forums. Can you tell us a little about it, such as how you fabricated the armor?
    Awesome,
    Scott

4. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

Oh man. , Been watching the progress on this , that is just too sweet..
    I want one..... :)

5. IAMMAUL

IAMMAUL Active Member

You truely have come along way with this project Thomas, I have never had the pleasure of meeting you but I do love your attention to detail in your work. Keep it up.

Rudy G.

6. takevin

takevin Sr Member

Looking sweet Thomas, are you going to be at the Fangora con in March? The wife and I will be there, me in my Jason and Kroenen, wife in her predator.

7. The Clone Emperor

Good evening,

Scott: I'd be happy to talk about how this suit was created.
    1. I gathered what references where available and sketched the suit over and over again. While the action figures, comics, trading cards where a good launching point, I needed to work out how the suit could work on a real person.
    [​IMG]
    2. Some pieces of the armour started completely as oil-based clay sculptures. Others were initially mocked up in cardboard. The form for the thighs was a combination of polyrigid foam-board, clay, and pvc piping.
    3. Each piece was molded with plaster. I used a waterbased polyurethane as a release agent.
    4. The cleaned molds were used to cast bondo coated fibreglass castings. (The molds were waste molds--destroyed in the process of freeing the casting.)
    [​IMG]
    5. I cleaned fitted and painted the castings. Despite all the planning on how pieces would work the final process of fitting and articulating the armour was largely by trial an error. I do believe I learned a lot, and hope to apply this experience to my next projects.

Thank you fellows for the support.

Kevin, I didn't know about Fangora, I'll have to look into it.

Be well,
    Thomas

8. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Absolutely fabulous Thomas.... you should be proud.

9. RebelGhirl

RebelGhirl New Member

Fabulous work as usual Thomas. You should go pro. ;)

10. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

:eek Wow. That's amazing work.

11. Egon Spengler

Egon Spengler Sr Member

Amazingly impressive.. I like how you used Cardboard and clay. It sounds simple enough, but I just want to be clear on what exactly you did. Did you sculpt most of it with clay and then use cardboard for details? Or did you just build a core with cardboard and sculpt over that to use less clay?

12. The Clone Emperor

I am wishing that I had more pictures online now. Certain parts had such geometry that it made sense to construct the base in cardboard or matte board. To compete this arm, I added clay to the sides where the corrugation would other wise be visible.

[​IMG]

The fibreglass casting still evidenced the corguation of the cardboard form. This took some effort to sand smooth. After this piece I spent much more tyme constructing the forms for the right arm with matte board and wood glue. It was worth the effort if judged by the reduction in clean-up tyme alone.

My experience has been encouraging in reguards of the use matte board to rough out the forms where the geometry of the attempted piece calls for it. With a sharp blade, good measurements, wood glue, and a little patience, matte board can be made to do some amazing forms. I added clay to the matte board sculpture when it just did not make sense to attempt a particular effect in board (e.g. the round of an inside corner.)

Be well,
    Thomas

13. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

...very cool. :thumbsup ....you just need to make that mini-gun type blaster that he had...

14. Egon Spengler

Egon Spengler Sr Member

Thanks for the tips man. You've done one amazig job and created a fantastic wearable work of art.

15. SethB6025

SethB6025 Well-Known Member

Outstanding.

16. Docking bay 327

Docking bay 327 New Member

Thomas,
    Truly phenomenal costume and wonderful website.
    Since you have done so much research into Durge, (and I have not by evidence of my basic question) why does Durge have a Mandalorian/Boba Fett symbol on his armor, considering his painful past with them?

Thanks
    DB 327

17. The Clone Emperor

[​IMG]
    The Mandalorian Symbol. Some folk call this The Bantha Skull. To these folk I ask ¿Ever look at a Bantha?

The EU has been ambiguious about the exact reason behind the blue Mandalorian skull featured so prominently on DURGE's body armour. In Star Wars; Visionaries there is a short tale regarding DURGE's evolution called "Prototypes." The story suggests the skull is that of DURGE's mentor Jaing, and that he bares in honour of his master who was out numbered and slain by a treacherous clan Mandalorians.

An issue of the Star Wars Insider featured an article on Mandalorians in which the emblem was identified as an homage to great warrior. By excercizing the law of continutity, it may be deduced that that great warrior was Jaing. The term Mandalorian itself once conoted a particular race, but expanded to encompass all those fighting under their banner.

(The smaller red emblems adorning his body armour have been explained as kills that DURGE was particularily satisfied with.)

[​IMG]

18. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

This costume is still one of my most favorite ever created :eek I never get tired of looking at pics and very much look forward to the day you can call it "complete" in whatever sense that our costumes are ever really complete. :D

Kudos to photoshoot part duex ;)

Steve

19. AlderaanGirl

AlderaanGirl Well-Known Member

Your Durge looks awesome Thomas. :thumbsup Then again, your work always does.

Off topic: I hope to get to see it this year. Perhaps DragonCon ;) Andrea and I are planning on going this year. We missed out last year because we both broke the bank going to CIII. Btw...it was a pleasure to meet you then. I hope we get to see ya again soon.

20. Beorn Tordensjold

Beorn Tordensjold New Member

That... THAT... that's GREAT. I mean wow. Kudos.

21. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

not bad :thumbsup

22. linkproductions

linkproductions New Member

23. StudioCreations

StudioCreations Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

WOW. Those photos do your amazing work the justice they deserve. Congrats on getting your costume to this level. IT's been a great experience watching you over the years gain skill after skill , growing to the level that pulls off a Hollywood-style costume like this.

Keep it up. Your work inspires us all to do better.

24. The Clone Emperor

You humble me Jeff. Thanks to everyone for the support. It makes so me happy I have to dance:

[​IMG]

Last week I went back to college for the first tyme in ten years. I am taking a course in welding. (Oxy-fuel and Arc.) I look forward to discovering applications for this technology.

Be well,
    Thomas

25. The Clone Emperor

The night before Dragon*Con XX, just after my caravan rolled into Georgia, I met up with photographer Art Andrews to document recent enhancements to DURGE's arsenal. From the resulting images I was finally able to add bounty hunter to my my 501st profile.

[​IMG]
    Durge's Cannons: These took almost a year from design to execution. And like everything else, these rough castings are inviting me to spend months refining and retooling.

[​IMG]
    Durge's Lance: The least expensive prop in the arsenal. All found parts left out by a dumpster, collected over a period of months. All chrome. Great fun in a parade. I may need to print up a CIS banner to hang from the tip.

[​IMG]
    Durge's Flame-thrower: Nice to have for those slow dances with Boba.

[​IMG]
    Durge and Bolas: These were my first Durge weapon prop. They light up when swung. A fun, if not impractical, SW EU weapon.

Be well,
    Thomas

26. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

I'm typically not a big fan of EU stuff....but that is fantastic work. Incredible....well done. :thumbsup

27. Soundwave

Soundwave Sr Member

I love it. Mighty fine work there (and great photos). I also love the fact you have an array of weapons to choose from too, which is your fave?

28. WebChief

WebChief Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(The Clone Emperor @ Sep 11 2006, 11:20 AM) [snapback]1317726[/snapback]</div>
    What? Like these? :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

AWESOME Thomas...

Markus

30. MarkG

MarkG Well-Known Member

Thomas, that is one outstanding costume.....

The sculpt, detail etc etc are just awesome.... probs the best ever costume I have seen..

Defo worthy of 501st status...

Good to hear your taking up welding too..... I sell the stuff here in the UK, and it's amazing to see what can be achieved by 'glueing' a few bits of metal together...

All the best on your course...

31. Goldenrod

Goldenrod Sr Member

<span style="font-family:Impact">Amazing job Thomas.</span>

32. Primrodo

Primrodo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Goldenrod @ Sep 12 2006, 07:56 PM) [snapback]1318820[/snapback]</div>
    Totally echo this.

33. Darth Brass

Darth Brass Sr Member

What a great, original costume.

Fantastic work.

34. Thrawn

Thrawn Well-Known Member

That costume couldnt possibly be more impressive.... amazing work.

35. The Clone Emperor

DURGE, June 2008

[​IMG]

DURGE, June 2008
    My friend Rick took a series of images of me in my DURGE armour at the beginning of June, 2008 for a special project. The following images are culled from that set.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

We took 240+ shots in order to glean the one to submit as my contribution to a future advertisement in the Star Wars Insider Magazine. The advertisement is being created to promote awareness of The Dented Helmet (TDH) costuming community.

There were slots nine slots for the advertisement, and the steep competition for place was juried by an independent, but knowledgeable set of judges. Since 2003, TDH has been very good to me. Through the TDH I met with other artists and learned the skills and techniques that allowed me to complete not only my DURGE costume, but also provided me with a substantial foundation from which to draw upon in other artistic endeavours. The TDH is a wonderful community distinguished in no small part by a respectful, responsible and dedicated administration that I truly admire.

I am honoured to contribute back to the TDH, along with the other selected members with my small part in this upcoming advertisement.

Be well,
    Thomas
    [​IMG]

36. baron von blondle

baron von blondle Well-Known Member

WOW thats impressive! i second the "go pro" vote!

Respect
    P.

37. KnightAsylum

KnightAsylum Sr Member

Awesome work.
    That Helmet is yet another one to add to my list of ones to get - in this case I will have to make one I suppose (which means I will probably never get it done):cry
    Still great work on your costume:thumbsup

38. JHVanOphem

JHVanOphem Well-Known Member

Thomas, I never tire of seeing your work!

Hoping to meet up again at Dragon*Con.

39. Stilgar

Stilgar Well-Known Member

It's so cool to see such uncommon EU-characters build by a talented and passionate member!
    I love your awsome Clone Emperor, too!

40. Lord Abaddon

Lord Abaddon Sr Member

Thomas your attention to details on all your costumes always amaze me! Wonderful work!

41. TV8

TV8 Well-Known Member

amazing. This costume is the best representation of the character I have seen.

42. Koda Vonnor

Koda Vonnor Well-Known Member

Thomas, your work is a great inspiration. Had it not been for your process descriptions and progress photos for Dirge and Krieg, I would not have taken on my first armor project.

Bravo, maestro!

~ Vonnor

43. k405

k405 New Member

My gosh!!!!
    thats incredible!!!
    awesome awesome work.
    completely spot on.
    great work.

44. The Clone Emperor

Durge; wip 2009

DURGE, May 2009

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had a wonderful tyme at Motor City Comic Con 2009 this weekend. It may take me a while to post, but I have started work on my convention coverage gallery for the event.

I worked to revise and maintain all three of the costumes that I brought to the show. Above all, the labour on my DURGE suit was the most intensive. I did win their costume contest, but the real pay-off, persay, was the response I received from my fellow Legion members, artists, and general convention attendees.

On the convention floor, Rebel Legion member Alex Ford had set up a nice back drop for costume portraits. Alex then generously burnt CD's for everyone he took photographs of. Thanks Alex.

Be well,
    Thomas

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  45. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

As usual, I am totally floored ! :thumbsup

Michael

46. Mr Fett

Mr Fett Sr Member

It was great seeing you again, Thomas. Your Durge was looking as great as always. Hope you had fun visiting at our Michigan con! :)

47. Ripcode

Ripcode Well-Known Member

I finally got to see Durge in person.

Most impressive Thomas! (y)thumbsup

48. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Wicked-Awesome(y)cool

49. Son of Skywalker

Son of Skywalker Well-Known Member

The best * EU costume ever!!!

50. Stilgar

Stilgar Well-Known Member

Passion and good craftsmanship always pays!
    Awesome job! :thumbsup