Dune 2020 Paul Atreides Caladan Costume Request for Assistance

shda5582

Hi everyone.

I apologize for coming to y'all, hat in hand, but I'm at the end of my rope and possibly having my wedding ruined. Long story short: I'm getting married on October 31 (Halloween/fall-themed), and the person that was supposed to be working on my costume/wedding suit has just up and bailed on me today (ed note: seething rage). I basically was having her do a replica of the costume that Paul Atreides wears on Caladan in the trailer (pics below to show what I'm going for). Unfortunately, as stated, she has bailed with no warning, and the only option I have found online is a company that can't promise me anything by the wedding date.

So I come here, humble and apologetic for bothering with such a silly request.....is there anyone that might know someone, or some company, or even coming up with items I can purchase off the shelf to make this costume work in the amount of time left? I, like an idiot, didn't plan on this happening and I currently have no backup, although I am scrambling like mad right now for anything. I'm just hoping that someone or the group, can point me in a direction to go to still pull this off.

rev-1-du-16816rc_high_res_jpeg.jpeg
4d841487-c92b-430d-bd34-b7e5022238cd-screen-shot-2020-04-13-at-114138-am.jpg

Hello, I did a quick search on Amazon and came up with a black trench coat that's close. With a few mods it would look the part. Also searched for men's riding boots and leather gauntlets and got some more close hits. All depends on how screen correct you want it. You might be able to get ahold of some black BDU's from an army surplus type store to finish the look. Good luck!

Thanks for the info :)

I would prefer it to be as screen correct as possible, and I kinda assumed that the coat and gloves would be easy enough (already got the boots) but I can't find anything that matches (to me). The hard part I'm finding is the under uniform itself; that I'm not able to find much in the way of a close match.

Based on your time frame I would look to an off-the-shelf options. If your original "supplier" did not provide you with a list of components I would start there by making one. What items do you see as critical. For me I see the boots, belt/buckle, collar insignia, uniform jacket, knife-creased pants.. Then prioritize your list and start working down from the top. Also if you find new suppliers maybe you can piecemeal the efforts instead of having only a single source. You indicate you have the boots, looking for the gloves, etc. As a starting point for the uniform I would suggest cadet uniforms from military colleges or school. For example the West Point Grey Dress uniform might be a good starting point. Look for zipper-front as opposed to buttons. Remove any extra decorations and then it could be dyed. Buying a uniform instead of two parts will ensure they will dye more consistently. Good luck.

The behind the scenes book, the art and soul of dune, is set to be released in December. The limited edition signed copies might be available earlier. Also there are always readers proofs available in advance and reviewers copies. Maybe if you can locate one of these copies now (if available), you’d have access to much more detailed photos of his suit.

Also, maybe talk to Indy magnoli here? He’s one of the costume experts (although not necessarily in dune) and a tailor.

Last edited:
Until there is better information this is just my interpretation of the Atreides belt “buckle”. I welcome any and all critics and comments in order to improve our collective knowledge. In one released image it appeared to me that the (right-hand) inside edge turned up and went behind the belt. This gave me the idea to produce not a buckle but a two-slot slider. My dimensions are estimated from other items in the image but I have no special insight about this prop.

The wide belt passes through one slot from back-to-front, passes across the center, and returns from front-to-back in the opposite slot. For comfort, the slider should have a slight curve to fit the individual. To reduce weight I would expect the center (unseen) portion of the slider would be pierced but still be solid enough to remain rigid and support the belt without telegraphing any openings. Just as an example I have incorporated the Atreides hawk as seen on the flag, on Duncan Idaho's sword, and Leto Atreides' uniform bicep.

Attachments

• 1601819715231.png
    1601819715231.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 152
Since the movie release date has been moved back maybe I will get some of my projects finished before it gets to the theaters. Here is my take on the Atreides Personal (Shield) Holtzman Generator. For those with better eyes or suggestions for improvement I welcome your critics and comments.

Attachments

• Atreides Personal Holtzman Generator.jpg
    Atreides Personal Holtzman Generator.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 148
Hijacking this thread since there aren't any others about the Atreides dress uniform yet... this Paul figure is coming out later this year, and seeing as it's officially licensed, should we assume that the back of the jacket as shown in this image is accurate? I still haven't been able to find any images of the uniforms from the back with good enough quality to be able to see the seams and other details.
182420jl44bn4kkdk5ta5i__15927.1640713635.jpg

Unfortunately they don't show the coat from the back, so that's still a mystery.

Here is the best image I have found so far of the back of Paul's Dress Uniform. The jacket is a single vent design with the seam down the middle of the back. The collar must have a seam somewhere. My best guess is also the center back.

Attachments

• image (1).jpg
    image (1).jpg
    507.7 KB · Views: 643
Here is the best image I have found so far of the back of Paul's Dress Uniform. The jacket is a single vent design with the seam down the middle of the back. The collar must have a seam somewhere. My best guess is also the center back.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking for the collar too.

I'll have to scan through the movie and see if there are any good shots of the trench coat, especially from the back. I've found some very low-quality images of it, but all I can tell is that the belt wraps all the way around (as you'd expect, I suppose). Can't see any of the seams, pockets, or other detailing.

Thanks for the info :)

I would prefer it to be as screen correct as possible, and I kinda assumed that the coat and gloves would be easy enough (already got the boots) but I can't find anything that matches (to me). The hard part I'm finding is the under uniform itself; that I'm not able to find much in the way of a close match.
Where are the boots from?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back