Dumb Foamies question

Eaglewood

Sr Member
OK-- I see lots of reference to foamies used to build a lot of the props here-
Forgive me for my stupidity, I did a search and couldnt find the info I wanted -- What is the best type to use and where do you get it?
What is the cost as well and what is the best way to work with it.
I deal with metal and resin so this is a bit new to me.

IDK if foam sheets are also called "Rubber Sheets" But they have the same descriptions.. We use rubber sheets here in the philippines in making armors, costume etc. etc.. I've done so many costumes with it.. And its easy to use.. It comes in rolls with diferent thickness and different colors..

Last edited by a moderator:
roles? you can try online, the only other thing is looking for is untextured yoga mats, i heard they work good also.

I tried the Yoga mats, do not waste your time with those, they are great if you wanna make dreads but way to flimsy. As far as the Rolls, I was able to find them at Michaels and the hobby shop across the street called Jo'Anns the rolls run about $7 so not too bad, however it is only available in 2mm thickness.

-James

I tried the Yoga mats, do not waste your time with those, they are great if you wanna make dreads but way to flimsy. As far as the Rolls, I was able to find them at Michaels and the hobby shop across the street called Jo'Anns the rolls run about $7 so not too bad, however it is only available in 2mm thickness.

-James

The Joannes Fabric near me has sheets in both one-eighth inch and one-quarter inch. No rolls, though.

Foamies are great stuff. With enough foamies and glue, you can make anything at all whatsoever. :(

A tip if you want to paint it, though---coat it with some watered-down Elmers glue first. It'll seal it so the paint doesn't sink in. It also stiffens the foamie a bit so it's not as floppy.

u guys just make molds of each foamie piece ya use or does anyone resin over the top of it and encase it ?????
don't think i ever got an answer to that one,.....

help

u guys just make molds of each foamie piece ya use or does anyone resin over the top of it and encase it ?????
don't think i ever got an answer to that one,.....

help

I just do one-offs. And since I use them for fan films, mine don't need to be tough enough to withstand all the rigors of a convention, so if they're kinda flimsy that's OK.

It would be pretty easy to coat them with resin and toughen them up, though. It'd also be easy to coat them with sealer and releaser and then make a mold from them.

I just do one-offs. And since I use them for fan films, mine don't need to be tough enough to withstand all the rigors of a convention, so if they're kinda flimsy that's OK.

It would be pretty easy to coat them with resin and toughen them up, though. It'd also be easy to coat them with sealer and releaser and then make a mold from them.

Also if you want to toughen them up without doing any of that, use a heat gun for a couple seconds. You can shape the Foamies and once they cool, they cool in the shape you formed them to. plus they stiffen up as well.

* Paint them with Plasti-Dip as well as a primer with will toughen up even more, and when you paint it looks a lot better.
* once dry hit them with a black gloss or dark grey gloss and then WHILE WET use a "Hammered" paint it will make the paints pit more given a much deeper hammered look.
* I personally do this 2 times.
* once dry black wash and then hit with some silver Rub & Buff.

Once all that is done, the Foamies look like metal and are I would say 100% stronger if not more then originally started. I noticed my 2mm sheets could now literally stand on their own and flexibility was still there but took some effort now not like before. My 6mm sheets and pieces where un-movable now after heating and cooling.

Hope that helps a little.

-James

Also if you want to toughen them up without doing any of that, use a heat gun for a couple seconds. You can shape the Foamies and once they cool, they cool in the shape you formed them to. plus they stiffen up as well.

* Paint them with Plasti-Dip as well as a primer with will toughen up even more, and when you paint it looks a lot better.
* once dry hit them with a black gloss or dark grey gloss and then WHILE WET use a "Hammered" paint it will make the paints pit more given a much deeper hammered look.
* I personally do this 2 times.
* once dry black wash and then hit with some silver Rub & Buff.

Once all that is done, the Foamies look like metal and are I would say 100% stronger if not more then originally started. I noticed my 2mm sheets could now literally stand on their own and flexibility was still there but took some effort now not like before. My 6mm sheets and pieces where un-movable now after heating and cooling.

Hope that helps a little.

-James

I'll have to give that a try sometime. Thanks for the info. :unsure:

Hi FastBurst
I used both Yoga and Foamies, although the foamies are compressed more, once you coat the yoga matt with liquid latex, thats what I did they are very durable my armor is 80% Yoga Matts. Mine has held up quite well very easy to work with but you have to coat it.Everyone has their nitch so to speak! We all use different materials what is easy for some may not be easy for others.Experiment find your nitch and use what your comfortable working with!
cheers
Rhonda

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back