Dumb, dumb, dumb sheet metal question related to E-11 build

Timmythekid

Sr Member
Hey, I'm starting my second E-11 build, in preparation for the eventual delivery of my Anovos TK kit, and this time I'm going all metal. Receiver is a piece of EMT conduit I found less than half a millimeter larger diameter than the real Sterling tube, and I'm going off the plans on Whitearmor ("Most accurate E-11 plans ever!"), which specify that most of the sheet metal parts (folding stock, mag housing, blowback shields, etc) be made from between 2-3mm strata. I'm thinking aluminum sheets, but have NO retailers in my area which carry sheet aluminum thicker than flashing. I've found some sheets on fleabay, but the tickness is expressed in gauge size (0.032) for which I've been finding all kinds of different conversion charts through google which don't agree with each other even a little. Some say 0.032 is equivalent to 5/16", some say it's equivalent to 0.3mm or so, which are totally, TOTALLY different. So, simple question, can someone please suggest to get 3-ish mm aluminum sheet, what gauge should I be looking at?

The gauge thickness differs depending on the type of metal. Here's the Wikipedia page for sheet metal gauges used in the U.S.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheet_metal

2mm = 0.0787402 inches. 3mm = 0.11811 inches so using those numbers and the wikipedia page, for aluminum, you would want anywhere between 9 to 12 gauge, with the lower numbers of gauge actually being thicker than the higher numbers (yeah, weird I know). I hope that helps.

Differs by type of material? Well that's just...stoopid! Hmmm....okay, well I....guess that means 0.032 refers to something about 1mm thick then, which still doesn't explain how the seller lists it as 5/16ths. But then again 'because ebay' I guess. No good. Thanks for clarifying, ARKM, that explains why none of the conversion charts seem to match.

Considering 0.03 millimeters is like soda can thickness, or even thinner, that's probably not what you're looking for. 3 mm is fairly solid, in fact it's probably a bit much(?) I'm facepalming, yet again, over the whole imperial system of measurement, it's only ever good at creating confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back