Drone 1 Silent running: Dewey re-born

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by cirrusx1, May 29, 2006.

1. cirrusx1

cirrusx1 Well-Known Member

Thought I would submit some early stage photos of my full size drone replica fromSilent running. It is a Fred Barton issue drone, in kit form, which I still have not seen all of the pieces from good ole Fred after 5000. dollars paid, 7 months later and repeated e-mails on when I should expect the remainder. Typical from what I have heard. Never again Fred ...
    Anyhow, I intend on making it as screen accurate as possible. Actually, I came across the hardest part to get the Carello Headlight for the eye. This got me pretty excited on making this fellow the best I drone possible. When I get it done I intend on loaning him to the Sci Fi Museum in Seattle for display. I want to commission an articulated arm Like the one micdavis is babysitting...any takers?

Enjoy the photos, I will update them as I move forward with this build. I have to say, I still love the design of this...Doug trumbull, you rock...

2. zorg

zorg Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

SUPERB........

3. Howard

Howard Sr Member

Hey, he looks great.
    I love the drones. Can't wait to see him finished.

Howard.

4. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome.. Next to the B-9 the Drones are favorite Cinema Robots.

5. kdawg1

kdawg1 Sr Member

5 G's ouch he looks great. Keep trying Fred he'll do you right.

6. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

Awesome piece. A favorite movie and robot drone.

7. neosporing

neosporing Sr Member

Looks Fantastic. Are you going to give him a watering can?

8. QuasiOdo

QuasiOdo Well-Known Member

That's really excellent.
    Now getting it to actually walk- without any "special people" inside- THAT would be the ultimate, but probably (nearly) impossible.

9. terryr

terryr Sr Member

He's already walking...on the walls.

10. cirrusx1

cirrusx1 Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(neosporing @ May 30 2006, 07:46 PM) [snapback]1253224[/snapback]</div>

Actually, I found the watering can too. I know it's dorky but putting in his manipulator arm will make him more human.

I also intend having the computer card be the on/off switch for the lights. Love to make the lights motion activated but it is a bit out of my expertise.

11. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You're off to an outstanding start. :eek

I've always loved the drones, and your Dewey replica is shaping up beautifully. (It should be, after $5000.) Great find on the Carello headlamp. It really adds authenticity to your recreation.

That's a really cute pooch in the first shot, too, posing so primly with Dewey for the photo. :)

Looking forward to photos of continuing progress. Thanks for sharing these. :thumbsup