Dragon Priest Mask (Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim) WIP

joker6623

Hey guys, so I decided for my first project I will attempt to make a Dragon Priest's Mask from the game Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. I collected all of these bad boys in-game and thought it would be a great looking and fairly simple first project. I know It probably isn't actually simple, but it's not large or very time consuming, so there's space for error and trial.

Here's some reference pictures, to give you an idea of what I'll be attempting to make.

dragonpriestmaskreferences.png

Fount that image in this thread right HERE.

Now, let us begin. So I decided to just do a first attempt out of pepakura. I have some old file folders I'll be using since I currently have no cardstock. I will document progress as I advance.

If you're interested in using it, this is the PDO file I'll be using. You can download it HERE. Thanks allot to member jtm for the file.

Tools I'll be using are:

3x Pendaflex folders
Hot Glue gun
Scissors

Will update soon!

Update!!! Ok so I spent last night and today working on the pepakura mask, and it is done! Here's some pictures of the process, and the completed pep mask.

First I used diluted glue to stick the paper templates to the folders, since I had no cardstock paper to print them on.

Next I waited for them all to dry. There were seven sheets total.

After they dried I began to cut pieces, score them, and fold them. I didn't really follow any specific order doing this.

Eventually I began assembling some parts, mainly focusing on larger ones first.

After cutting and pasting for about an hour and a half, maybe two, the mask started taking shape. By then I had done the jaw and had started on the sides.

The face was done, and it was time to go to sleep sice I wast ired and it was baout 3 in the morning.

The next day I proceeded to start with the eyes and forehead. I should note that the actual pepakura file includes a closed piece on the back of the mask. I did assemble it with this piece at first for added support, but once the face and forehead were done and it was time to make the mouth and eyes, I cut out the piece carefully along the edge so that I could fit my face and actually wear the mask.

The mask was distorting a bit around the eyes and the nose/mouth area, so I glued some toothpicks in there for support. This didn't entirely fix the issue, but it made it allot less noticeable. Also, the inside of my mask looks like a piñata xD

Finally I finished the eyes and the mask was done! Another thing to note is that the pep file also included some pieces to fill in the eye holes. I left them out of the build for obvious reasons. Dragon Priests are not blind, after all x)

And here's a few shots of the finished pep mask, and a shot of me wearing it to test the fit. she fits quite nicely, and will hold great with any desired methoth of strapping, I asume.

Personally, I think it's decent for my first pepakura project. of course it could have been allot better and cleaner, since the mask is not perfectly simetrical, and a few spots have minor gaps or glue marks. Even so, I'm please with it, and hopefully I'll get better at this in time.

I have to say, pepakura is harder than it looks. While it's simple enough to understand and follow, it can be frustratingly repetitive at times, and all that small detailed cutting requires ALLOT of patience. The gluing process is another challenge in itself, since you only have a small window of time to apply glue and set the part where it goes. As I progressed with the mask though, I slowly figured my way around the process and it became easier. My fingers were covered in the stuff, and I did suffer a few minor burns, but it was worth it nonetheless.

I plan to make am old out of this mask and make a new version of it with a different material. If anyone knows a good one for a mask like this, I would apretiate it. Hopefully I can mold and cast it soon, to then sand it a bit, fix and finish a few htings here and there, and then give it some texture details and a nice paint job.

That's all for now folks! Will be updating when it's time to make the mold!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back