Dracula Medallion - 1931 Lugosi Prop

ManDrawsPicture

Well, I got tired of waiting for someone else to offer this so I took a whack at it myself. How such an iconic piece can go unrepresented for so long is a mystery to me.

SilverMedallion.jpg

I'd love to hear what everyone thinks of it.

Thats really cool! i was lucky enough to get a QMX ring.

I know a few on the Universal Monster Army site will want one!

If they are available shoot me the info. I can help move them for you!

Pat

Definately a different piece that hasn't been done yet.

The center disc looks to be a diffferent style than the rest of the sculpt. Is it a found item? What did you use to make the master?

but it was your medallion that made the costume go from being dracula to lugosi's dracula it's such a signature piece and it's a shame that it's only seen at the beginning of the film and when he gets to england we don't see it anymore

I'm working out the details for a cast bronze version right now.

A Sterling silver (with optional gold plating) one is down the road a little as the cost will be quite high and I don't have enough people interested in one yet. Maybe in time for Xmas.

Great job. As for the orignal prop, the dragon motif is in line with the historical Dracula (whose father was in the Christian Order of the Dragon), but the Star and Crescent, a Turkish symbol, seems odd considering how much Dracula hated the Turks.

The crescent and star motif was copied from photos/screen grabs of the original prop while the design within the circular center area is open to some debate due to a general lack of details so I took a creative liberty and incorporated a more historically-accurate Vlad/Dragon treatment.

Great job. As for the orignal prop, the dragon motif is in line with the historical Dracula (whose father was in the Christian Order of the Dragon), but the Star and Crescent, a Turkish symbol, seems odd considering how much Dracula hated the Turks.

I asked about the origin of the medallion over on the Aurora form, a few years ago. One of the members stated that the piece was definitely Lugosis' personal property and that it was Masonic. This would explain the star and crescent motif.

Norm

The crescent and star motif was copied from photos/screen grabs of the original prop while the design within the circular center area is open to some debate due to a general lack of details so I took a creative liberty and incorporated a more historically-accurate Vlad/Dragon treatment.

Giving it more thought, and thoough probably oncly coincidental since it seems this was Lugosi's own masonic medal, your design actually makes good heraldic sense as the dragon's aura is blasting away the Turkish/Muslim star and crescent symbols.

It should be noted that in the period Vlad actually lived, dragons were actually symbolic of heavenly retribution, hence its use by a Christain religious order, and only one "fallen" dragon (satan) was believed evil. The highest heavenly creatures (Seraphim and Cherubim) were often interpreted as dragons, and illuminated medieval Bibles often depicted God riding on the back of a 'good' dragon in the verses of him riding on the back of the Cherubim. Seraphim actually means a fiery serpent in Hebrew, not a Christmas card angel with swan's wings sprouting from its back. Based on scriptures no longer in the present Bible, dragons were supposed to be released from heaven on Judgement day and would devour all of the sinners in the world. This is still hinted at in Revelation where sharp toothed, snake tailed, fire breathing beasts would destroy one third of mankind.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back