DOT approved Rinzler.....not really but W/E lol

WraithProject

So my main reason for joining this site was to be educated by people with much more experience then i at this, in terms of process and refinement. This would be my first "physical" project. I've done digital mock ups of snakeeyes/cyborg ninja (mgs2 sol version) which are no longer in my possession anymore.
I've taken up a hobby for autoX/autocross or however you callit in your regions. Well in order to autocross you MUST wear a helmet. So my nerd/geek side took over. In the beginning it was going to be the cyborg ninja helmet from sons of liberty. Then later on Tron Legacy came out so i went and watched that in 3D (my first time ever watching 3D movie) i couldnt help but notice that Rinzler's helmet maximised view angle. So i started digital renders/blueprints of what little information and pictures were available at the time wich was very miniscule. Some personal stuff came up that hindered my progression and after some things changed i went to get started again and realised at that moment i no longer had the digital files anymore.
So i spoke in email with ARTFUNK (super nice guy btw) and he already completed the helmet. So i purchased a blank cast and a visor mold.
Unfortunatly the carrier that took over once it got into the states either used it as a soccerball or drug it behind the truck because there was some damage. This is by no means ARTFUNKS fault. With all the bubble wrap he used idk how they managed to do what they did. I told him not to worry because i can fix it. I personally wouldnt accept a replacement since he wasnt at fault. Plus i have my own interpretation on how to make it. So anyway I've ranted enough for now.
So ill be using ARTFUNK's blank cast for the overall design/cast/mothermold. Simply because he did an awesome job with all the details. I'll be modifying it though as to how i think it should open. The finished product will be done in carbon fiber. And ill have DOT padding on the inside (which is why i decided to use carbon fiber. That padding is supper ruggid) Also it wouldnt be cool without lights so im looking into EL Wire/EL Tape/ LED modules. I also got my hands on a circuit board thats setup for voice changing. Allowing option to adjust pitch and tone. And two 13mm speakers that will produce the sound for the circuit board.
So here are my references: these are on the website for the company that made the helmets for tron legacy and many other movies "ironhead studios"
qs1fmr.jpg

zkg46x.jpg

33mmowg.jpg

If you notice how the jaw line has a crease next to the small drill holes. That will be how i seperate the helmet so i can get my big head in there without having to cut a big hole in the bottom, so i can make a hole for just my neck and a lil bigger so i dont choke myself when its shut. My only issue so far is the lens/face sheild. I've tried to email Oakley (yea i know) and they gave me this "we dont do custom work" reply. Explain gi joe and xmen and blade 3. But im sure what they meant is they dont do private consumer jobs as im sure the $$ behind the process is astronomical. But i was hoping to get a polarized visor so that is really the only hold up.
So if anyone has any suggestions, good or bad; i would welcome them. I have everything on its way in the mail so hopefully it wont be too long.

Can you build a lit/working helmet for myself at a resonable price ^_^????
I can't do this myself and have no way to get one. shadowglissen@live(period)com
contact me there or here.

With UD replica's making the suit there is demand for a DOT helmet.
Just something to consider. :cool but consider partnering with a helmet company after you have a prototype and have a proper run done.

For your visor could cast a tinted resin face plate or experiment with a heat gun and reform a preexisting shield to snap into your carbon fiber shell.
I tend to go with a snap in shield so you could swap out your smoke visor for a lighter tint or even clear for night riding.

Plus on the safety note, a lighted helmet will be very helpful for those that are stuck wearing a stupid road guard vest while riding. :darnkids

FYI the helmet wont be to DOT standard. A DOT helmet has tests done to the shell, etc. not just the foam inside. Same with the SNELL rating...which is more strict.

If the shell is made out of fiberglass it would. .most people don't even buy helmets made out of fiberglass. Most helmets are vacuum formed crap. There wearing a big gulp with foam padding. I only ride with a full face fiberglass helmet. Good protection cost but it's cheaper then a head injury. If a cowboy hard hat can be made legal I don't see why not.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back