Doctor Who: Tom Baker costumes

Re: Doctor Who: Tom Baker costumes; The waistcoats

shada.jpg

Sorry, I keep getting distracted by Lalla Ward's beautiful eyes.

There isn't a standard go-to for any of these really sadly.

I know a couple of guys have had very good luck finding a good match to the Season 15/16 waistcoat via ebay and I feel this isn't too tough of a fabric to find a reasonable match to.

The Season 18 Vest is very problematic due to it's cut, the design and the fact it's a silk velvet. The best replica that nearly made it was the Cloth ears but that ended up being DOA when they left the Who Costuming game before making any beyond the protoype. Adobe Web Gallery

Next best matches are usually found on western recreation wear sites but you're settling for something with the vague feel - usually on sites like gentlemansemporum.com or a few others that have been discussed on Gallifrey Base: Gallifrey Base

A few people have found some fabrics that are semi in the range- if you find something that works for you then you can have it easily mad einto a vest via a local tailor or any of the usual online suspects.

The S13 Houndstooth check waistcoat is another one that a lot of people have found okay matches to at thrift shops and careful ebay shopping but usually sacrificing the houndstooth for the check or vice versa usually a striped tweed waistcoat of some type.

But recreating this S13/14 vest fabric has been a project I've worked on for a long while now. Thanks to greyhound1 on GB we're working with a pattern I'm happy with but to do this on velvet (like the original was) as a screen print process will require a 25 minimum person (or yards accounted for) run at about $65 or so a yard. I wanted to wait til my current group runs were finished before pursuing this in it's own thread. Keep on the lookout for the thread wen it gets going.

There isn't a standard go-to for any of these really sadly.

I know a couple of guys have had very good luck finding a good match to the Season 15/16 waistcoat via ebay and I feel this isn't too tough of a fabric to find a reasonable match to.

The Season 18 Vest is very problematic due to it's cut, the design and the fact it's a silk velvet. The best replica that nearly made it was the Cloth ears but that ended up being DOA when they left the Who Costuming game before making any beyond the protoype. Adobe Web Gallery

Next best matches are usually found on western recreation wear sites but you're settling for something with the vague feel - usually on sites like gentlemansemporum.com or a few others that have been discussed on Gallifrey Base: Gallifrey Base

A few people have found some fabrics that are semi in the range- if you find something that works for you then you can have it easily mad einto a vest via a local tailor or any of the usual online suspects.

The S13 Houndstooth check waistcoat is another one that a lot of people have found okay matches to at thrift shops and careful ebay shopping but usually sacrificing the houndstooth for the check or vice versa usually a striped tweed waistcoat of some type.

But recreating this S13/14 vest fabric has been a project I've worked on for a long while now. Thanks to greyhound1 on GB we're working with a pattern I'm happy with but to do this on velvet (like the original was) as a screen print process will require a 25 minimum person (or yards accounted for) run at about $65 or so a yard. I wanted to wait til my current group runs were finished before pursuing this in it's own thread. Keep on the lookout for the thread wen it gets going.
I ****ing knew it! Even in the pic, it's velvet, which means that the waistcoat really was cut up for the shada scarf...so if you can, try and get it on spoonflower so that the patches for anyone knitting the shada scarf are easy to find.
I saw Peter Drummers. Not bad, but its a red and black plaid, not red and green.
Apart from that, is there anyone you know that could get the first waistcoat's pattern on spoonflower.
Thanks

If you have any better reference pictures of the first waistcoat I'd be happy to put it up on my Spoonflower store.

As for the velvet waistcoat, it would be pointless to put it on Spoonflower since they don't have any fabrics even close to velvet.

Well I know it was a big revelation to discover the Check waistcoat was a short nap velvet (or perhaps a velour) and not some kind of tweed/wool. It is more apparant in the patch scarf pictures than any of the wasitcoat shots though. But yes this was confirmed because peices were cut up and used to patch the Shada scarf and about 4 different people have confirmed the fabric content base don this.

For those looking for an available close enough tardis scarves on GB uses this fabric for her Shada scarf patches: fashionfabricsclub.com: There are so many plaids that would work, that it was hard to choose. I bought #ZZ516 Taupe/Beige Coating

Pete if I recall correctly just found a close match form thrift/ebay shopping and didn't do a recreation per se.

As for spoonflower, you can do this with the Check fabric on their heavier twill cotton which will do fine enough for a vest to get you by. I did a few early tests this way for color sampling and it will definately give you the read you want and it's the most convenient/cheap way to have this done. Though with the current info now known, accuracy buffs will now insist for a dull cotton velvet version and that gets a bit tricky for printing hence the group run I wanted to organize and why some won't want to bother with the soonflower route. For the sake of getting something out there I would post this to spoonflower myself for the time being but it's not my graphic work - I'm waiting on permission before making it publicly available beyond the pre-agreed group run we discussed when commencing the project.

Well I know it was a big revelation to discover the Check waistcoat was a short nap velvet (or perhaps a velour) and not some kind of tweed/wool. It is more apparant in the patch scarf pictures than any of the wasitcoat shots though. But yes this was confirmed because peices were cut up and used to patch the Shada scarf and about 4 different people have confirmed the fabric content base don this.

For those looking for an available close enough tardis scarves on GB uses this fabric for her Shada scarf patches: fashionfabricsclub.com: There are so many plaids that would work, that it was hard to choose. I bought #ZZ516 Taupe/Beige Coating

Pete if I recall correctly just found a close match form thrift/ebay shopping and didn't do a recreation per se.

As for spoonflower, you can do this with the Check fabric on their heavier twill cotton which will do fine enough for a vest to get you by. I did a few early tests this way for color sampling and it will definately give you the read you want and it's the most convenient/cheap way to have this done. Though with the current info now known, accuracy buffs will now insist for a dull cotton velvet version and that gets a bit tricky for printing hence the group run I wanted to organize and why some won't want to bother with the soonflower route. For the sake of getting something out there I would post this to spoonflower myself for the time being but it's not my graphic work - I'm waiting on permission before making it publicly available beyond the pre-agreed group run we discussed when commencing the project.
His was just a red and olive tan tartan. With striping, it could pass...I just wish there was a name for it.
You didn't really need the scarf to know it was velvet actually. Look at the publicity photo, it clearly looks printed.

~On a new note, I just began casting on to knit the season 12 argyle cardigan with acrylic fingering weight yarn. This will take a good chunk of 2012 and I am also making a hat for my friend, along with a scarf. I'll post pictures when I've done a considerable amount of work on it.

The style of the pattern has always suggested a woven fabric to me but I do see what you mean about the printed quality in the few hi res photos I've seen of it. But none of these suggested a nap or velvet to me til I saw the candid scarf photos and even then i needed confirmation. Strange to this this was likely some kind of curtain or upholstery material back in the day.

Look forward to seeing how your S12 argyle cardigan works out!

Re: Doctor Who: Tom Baker costumes; The waistcoats

Sorry about the necro, but a waistcoat is a suitably sized project.

The fabrick looks to me to be black with small red flowers, probably ruses with greed and white details. The type of fabric is hard to make out. It could be cotton with a backing or perhaps light wool. It doesn't look like any sort of velvet.

Here's a closer look at the fabric pattern (1134 × 1600 px):

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-DZ6zhLe9zO8/UwDSj70QoUI/AAAAAAAAdWI/2iJUvNsahS8/s1600/04+Tom+Baker.JPG

04+Tom+Baker.JPG

This is the closest I have come:
https://no.pinterest.com/pin/241857442458614015/

4b9ca2020ca0271cf9f0512d46384ed9.jpg

04+Tom+Baker.JPG

4b9ca2020ca0271cf9f0512d46384ed9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
and the flowers are embroidered.

That's putting a bit on a dampener on the project. :eek

I've got a waistcoat not too dissimilar after my late grandfather. It has all these itty, bitty embroidered flowers on it. Just putting ion those two or three flowers that have been frayed by wear will be a lot of work, can't imagine making a whole vest.

This is the closest I found, the flowers are the wrong colours though:

il_570xN.665918366_104i.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back