Interest Doctor Who - The Moment, War Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver Display Stand

Doctor Octoroc

Sr Member
I've been sitting on this one awhile but I finally got around to making some progress on it.

I'm working on a 3d printed stand for the War Doctor's sonic screwdriver that will come as a kit to assemble and paint yourself - although I may offer a finished version as well if there's enough interest. It would be designed to hold both the CO toy and the Russrep metal version and essentially be the top panel of The Moment. At least I think it's the top - it's a box with 6 sides, any of them could be the top, I suppose, but it's the first one we see the War Doctor fidgeting with and the one most people tend to agree faces upward.

Here's the progress so far:

theMomentPreview01.jpg TheMomentBox.jpg

Price is still unknown but I'm designing it to be as inexpensive as possible to print. Another stand I'm currently working on for my 8th Doctor's alternative sonic screwdriver kit run is 74mm at its widest, a bit taller, and is priced around $25 - but because of all the separate parts in this one and having a width of about 88mm wide, it may hit closer to the $30 or $35 mark. It will be a good number of pieces but not as many as the real deal, of course. I may combine a few layers of the inside bits but for ease of painting and finishing, the separate parts will be primarily decided by the material they're made from. Of course, some modifications would have to be made to the center of the moving pieces to accommodate the butt of the sonic, but it's still in the early design phases so any input, reference material, etc is welcome.

I'd like to design it so the parts inside actually rotate and the sonic along with it, but at the scale it may not be feasible. I'll post the progress here as it comes along. Feel free to post your interest or other comments as well!

I couldn't sleep so I worked on it some more - finally got my bearings on the inner workings, and you can see the modification to the center area where the butt of the sonic will fit. There's a cut out of the top piece to accommodate the main thickness of the cap and the lowest layer has been 'stepped up' to support the bottom of it. Current piece count is 16 and I don't expect that to change in future edits to the design. The only thing left to do is piece together the engravings on the frame.

theMomentPreview02.jpg

Some more info on the pieces:
  • The frame is one piece and the corner brackets are each one piece as well.
  • The back face behind all the tech is a separate piece to make painting easier, and it fits down into the frame.
  • The top layer is a single piece, which fits onto pegs that extend up from four of the pieces below.
  • The middle layers are comprised of eight pieces total, which attach to the sides, each other, and then to the back face.
  • The bottom layer attaches to the back face via a number of pegs.

All pieces fit together via pegs and the layout of these pegs is unique to the orientation of the model so that everything will be facing the right way when assembled. Glue should be used to secure them all in place but it should be possible to assemble it without glue.

Last edited:
Surprise! I'm interested. (But not made of money). :)

I'll probably leave this INT thread up for awhile - at least until the 8th Doctor's sonic run is complete.

Also, here's a 'color coded' exploded view so you can see all the pieces and where they go in the layers.

theMomentPreview03.jpg

It's also worth mentioning that since all of the pieces are a 2d extrusions, essentially, the print quality should be near perfect on these. The only exception would be the rounded 'balls' on the corner brackets. I'm going to price out the intricate parts in the Frosted Ultra Detail material to see if they can be even sharper looking.

Last edited:
I'm pricing things out and it went a bit higher than expected :-/ Just to give you an idea, here is the current best configuration for price:

Here is the main frame and all four corner brackets, attached to the inside of the hollow frame by sprues:
625x465_3053274_8386294_1421907969.jpg

The main hardware inside the frame and the backing behind it all, linked with a loop:
625x465_3054847_8386297_1421907991.jpg

The smaller misc. hardware, all attached by a continuous sprue:
625x465_3054924_8386356_1421908408.jpg

Believe it or not, between the sprues and the loop, I cut $20 off the total cost and still couldn't get it to the price point, which means the stand will likely be around the $40 mark after the engravings are added to the frame.

Any thoughts?

That is great work! Have you (or anyone ) considered making the Moment itself?
This wonderfully talented person made their own. I may or may not have used it as a reference to help with the engravings on the frame that were not visible in screenshots. Of course I've considered making my own but that's a far-in-the future project and 3d printing probably isn't the most cost effective way to make something so large!

Wow, that looks fanTAStic!!

Thanks, 9th Doctor!

Well I just put in an order on Shapeways for The Moment stand, as well as the stand for the 8th Doctor's sonic in the other INT thread. I should have them in hand before the run concludes so you'll get a chance to see the real deal and add one to your order if you so desire!

But I'll also do a separate run for these stands after the fact to give more people time to find this thread and contemplate the future of their War Doctor's sonic screwdriver display situation :)

Related side note, is anyone in possession of a CO War Doctor's sonic screwdriver toy that would care to loan it to me to confirm the measurements? I have the Russrep version and designed it around those dimensions but would like to confirm the fit with the CO toy and only have the assumption to go by that Russ made it the same dimensions. Whoever is so gracious, I'll offer the stand at cost. PM me if you're interested!

Last edited:
All of the files for this prop have finished production on Shapeways except for one that is currently in production - I should have them in my hands by the end of this upcoming weekend, Monday the 9th at the latest! The 8th Doctor (alternative) sonic screwdriver stand has also finished production, the order is just waiting on that one file from the War Doctor's sonic stand before they can all be shipped.

For those who are putting in orders for the 8th alt sonic screwdriver and/or stand, you'll be able to add this one to your order for no extra shipping charge if you want it. I'll post pictures of the raw prints and my finishing process for this stand here and for the other stand in it's own run thread.

It arrived! It was admittedly a pain to assemble but what else can you expect from an intricate design like this? There are a few modifications to make for a better fit but otherwise, it came out great! Shown first in pieces, then assembled, then with the Russrep War Doctor's sonic in the stand.

IMG_5078.JPG

IMG_5076.JPG

IMG_5077.JPG

Looks good. Could you some more pics please? I'm curious as to how far it sits in the stand i.e. how much of the sonic "button" is hidden from view.
Thanks

Looks good. Could you some more pics please? I'm curious as to how far it sits in the stand i.e. how much of the sonic "button" is hidden from view.
Thanks

It's minimal, about 12mm from the very tip of the cap, but it's a snug fit and holds the circumference in three places so it won't tip over. I painted it last night, I'll assemble it and post some pictures of the finished stand later on tonight.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back