Doctor Who or Eye Sore?

KurtBergeron

Love him or hate him, he's the 6th Doctor. As a Doctor Who fan, and Dragon Con attendee I became associated with The Prydon Academy Untitled, which is a costume group that focuses purely on Doctor Who, his companions, friends, and the bad guys. The group, for a long time, was missing a 6th and they came to me. So I got to work, and this is the result. It's not finished yet, but I can get into that next.

6.jpg

2dca.jpg

ook....incase you're interested, this is how I did it, top to bottom

1. The Wig: Harpo Marx

2. White Dress Shirt: Exactly what it says (with alterations). A red and white checkered fabric has been sewn down the button front, on the inside collar, and on the cuffs. Also, the classic question marks are on the collar. I brought the shirt to an embroiderer who's question marks were NOTHING like the Doctor's. I had apicture of them however in a book, and he scanned the picture and emailed it to China. Shortly after they returned the picture as a pattern for his embroidery machine and I had them, exact.

3. Neckerchief, or whatever you want to call it. I have one in a teal/blue and one in a red, as the 6th Doctor also did. In the second picture, the fabric is actually dotted ribbon that I found in the fabric section at Walmart. The downside to that is that the polka dots were only on one side. The first picture is dotted fabric (both sides) that I ordered from this site here Making My 6th Doctor Costume

4. The vest: This isn't accurate, but it's 6th Doctor-ish. I'm still working on making or acquiring the 6th Doctor's first vest from his pilot. It's my fav of the bunch. This vest was an eBay special, which is a prom tux vest that has no back, just the elastic strap and metal clasp.

5. The plastic chain in my vest was also purchased on eBay...ironically, it's a chain that was designed to put in bird cages for birds to climb on. My vest has pockets so at the end of one chain I have a TARDIS key and on the opposite there's a pocket watch.

6. The pants are made of white and black mattress ticking (as it was in the show) and dyed yellow. The pants in both pictures are different. The second picture are pants I tried to make with a friend of mine. They do the trick, but are a bit of a mess. The pants in the first picture I had made by a costumer who had an obsession with their victorian design. She was insistent that they stop at my natural waist....which is HIGH. I love em, but they look a little silly without the vest and coat on to hide how high they actually go. The pants in both pictures though were made by following the California Pant pattern from the Laughing Moon Mercantile Laughing Moon Mercantile - Purveyors of Sewing Pattterns, Clothing and Accessories Because the pants ride so high, there is a V cut out of the back of them. I learned that this is actually made to give your rib cage room when you sit. Interesting.

7. The spats were also white when purchased and I dyed them orange. They are available at any costume shop. Though I am working on a new pair from a different fabrinc. I'd like them to resemble Colin's spats in Trial of a Timelord, which Glitz pulls off of his shoe.

8. The shoes. These were brown boots that I bought on eBay for $5. I then ran to a cobbler and got a green spray for leather shoes. It needs touch ups now and again, but they've done really well, plus they are mostly covered by the spats anyway. I've since found the exact right boots but they are really expensive.

9. That coat :D The same friend and I made the coat. The design for this ALSO comes from the Laughing Moon Mercantile Laughing Moon Mercantile - Purveyors of Sewing Pattterns, Clothing and Accessories and as you can see from the top pictures....it's not done. In the bottoms picture...it's also a mess and is actually held together from the inside by about 9 million. Super complicated for beginner costume makers and we only had about a month to work on it. The upper picture is more complete, but still needs some cutting/finishing at the bottom, better shoulder pads so it stays in place better, and the waist will be brought in so it's a little more form-fitting but boughs out at the bottom. It also needs to be lined. The pattern for the coat is spot on in design, minus the lapels, which I greatly had to alter. The pink lapel is about to be replaced with a valvet version, which is appropriate to the show and I didn't know during it's original construction. All of the fabrics were found at a textile in Springfield, Massachusetts. The pattern on the back right shoulder is IMPOSSIBLE to find, you just need to find something that works for you. Also,...surprising to me....it was REALLY difficult to find the red and black plaid on the front of the coat, under the lapels. Most red and black plaid fabrics, also have lines of yellow and white running through them. Mine may not be accurate, but I was pleased as hell to find what I did. I looked for A LONG TIME!!!

Last edited:
its a bit of both. if you didn't know it was a doctor outfit you'd probably wanna tear your eyes out but funnily enough its the first doctor i remember as a kid. awesome job :)

Funnily enough, i thought this outfit looked much better on McCoy, with his darker hair and eyes.

Love the costume, can’t wait to see it with a new and improved waistcoat. Will you be making the waistcoat with the long tails?

Funnily enough, i thought this outfit looked much better on McCoy, with his darker hair and eyes.

Love the costume, can’t wait to see it with a new and improved waistcoat. Will you be making the waistcoat with the long tails?

Thanks guys! :lol You're right about the waist coat with tails,....ironically, with the jacket on you'd never know, and in costume I never take it off, so we'll see :lol But yes, this vest here. Double irony, the picture doesn't even show the tails, but I know a picture exists, if I find it I'll put it up.

cbaker_006.jpg

I like how crazy that costume is so much that it makes me want to like the 6th Doctor more just so I'd feel justified making the costume. Good job on yours.

That is one of the better versions of the coat I have seen, congratulations! Do you have any more detail pics of it? I had one made by a professional tailor a number of years ago, back when I had more money than sense, and it didn't come out all that great. You definately need to be a fan to make a decent version of this coat.

That is one of the better versions of the coat I have seen, congratulations! Do you have any more detail pics of it? I had one made by a professional tailor a number of years ago, back when I had more money than sense, and it didn't come out all that great. You definately need to be a fan to make a decent version of this coat.

Thanks! I think Cloth Ears did a GREAT job making theirs. Mine isn't QUITE as stream-lined, but it's a lot better than it used to be,...and with the coming alterations, it'll be even better. All my pics are pretty normal in terms of detail :D But I can pull it out and take pictures of whatever you want if you're looking at/for something specific.

The Cloth Ears version was great, but I know Steve Ricks is working on his version,which I think will be even better. It is such a difficult coat to get even in the ball park in terms of how it reads, and yours looks fantastic. If you wouldn't mind, just some basic front/back shots of your coat would be great, for no other reason than I love seeing versions of this coat fans have made!

Thanks man, I actually lucked out with Cloth Ears,..I don't have their coat, but I do have a replica of the cat pin that they have. Someone sold it on eBay separately, go figure. You can also see the jacket collar in the top and bottoms pictures is different. I wasn't pleased with the first one, obviously, but it was last minute and I had to put something there. I sent an email to Cloth Ears and was able to buy that fabric from them. They had there's made custom, but when they got it back, the squares were too small, so they had it made again,..and THAT'S what's on their jacket. Meanwhile they were stuck with this fabric that had smaller squares,....which I didnt care too much about and I grabbed it. Ironically, a shirt has been released since (NOT THE SHIRT WITH A PICTURE OF THE COSTUME PRINTED ON IT, I'M TALKING ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE) where the whole shirt is that upper collar pattern...so I think people have been buying them and cutting them up lol.

I'll take more pics and post em either this weekend or next week

Wow, you're lucky to have gotten a response from Cloth Ears, from what I understand they steer well clear of anything to do with Doctor Who costuming these days due to some online unpleasantness some time ago.

Once again, your version is one of the best I have seen, I look forward to seeing more pics of your coat! :)

I found the pictures I was looking for of the actual jacket. Already just examining it closer there's a couple things about mine that I would alter, that I never realized before. Also,...it's clear to see that my jacket is a darker shade than the actual 6th.

The reason why,...is the black and red plaid under the lapels. As I mentioned, I couldn't find a black and red plaid that didn't ALSO have white and yellow stripes in it. The one I found,...is a darker red,..and that made the decision for the rest of the coat. Everything else is hues darker....annnnnd there you have it.

So here are pics including the length the tails of the first vest that for some reason were cut out of the first pic.......unless there were two different ones, but I doubt it...he didn't wear it that long.

Knitted_Wtct_Ft_Bk.jpg
The Vest I Wants...

Frock_Ct_Ft_Bk.jpg

The Real Deal

felt_cats.jpg

5 cats are sewn onto the inside of the yellow lapel on at least one of the coats. I'll probably do this to mine at some point, as it's quite a different detail that you don't see much.

cats_and_marks.jpg

Close up.

1st_spats.jpg

Spats. But as I think I said, there are multiple 6 Doctor spats made in a few different ways, but this is the best close up picture of any of them.

Ironically...and I never noticed this before, until right now,....the lining of the vest has the same wavy or zig zag lining as the inside of the jacket

Even more ironically, the coat pictured now has three black cats sewn inside it; I bought an original from Colin Baker at auction at a convention several years ago, and recently sold it on to the owners of this coat, who had it sewn back in it's rightful place!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back