Doctor Who moving to Disney+ in 2023 (except in the UK & Ireland)

This actually might be a really good decision. I honestly only have a cable plan so I can watch news, and see certain shows before they get spoiled for me, Doctor Who being the main one. With this switch, I might end up getting rid of cable entirely. I can catch up news almost anywhere, and there's only a few shows that air on cable that I actually watch. Plus, the lack of commercials is a BIG plus. Lately, it seems like every commercial is either a depressing medical-themed one, or some annoying song parody that makes me wanna stick an ice pick in my eardrums.

It would also mean that there'd be little to no wait time for the episode to air here in the U.S., since the new episodes would be added to the catalog almost simultaneously.

And at the same time Disney+ is raising their rates and some of the lower tiers will have commercials.

This is exciting.

From what I’ve read, it’s only first run. So only things that are released starting November 2023 forward.

For older NewWho you’ll have to go to HBO Max and for Classic Who Britbox or Samsung TV Plus (where we watch it).

First, for my family it will be nice to see it when it releases since we don’t have a cable plan to get BBC America.

Second, This should give the BBC some additional Disney cash that they might invest in Doctor Who.

Third, this should introduce Doctor Who to a larger American audience.

Four, this should help the popularity of the show going forward which should only help support Russell P Davies as the show runner and the upcoming new Doctor after the November specials.

My family is in a Who mood lately. We’ve been watching a lot of classic Who (our favorite). Even our ten year old is into it. He likes the Seventh Doctor (and of course the Fourth)

Oh, good. For a minute there I thought there was no hope for catching older Dr. Who anymore. They're just taking the crap Dr. Who series. What a relief.

I’ve been so dissatisfied with Doctor Who these past few years, I decided that I would quit after the 13th was done.

Every week I kept asking why I was still watching it. Then David Tennant is back, so I’ll watch his year next year before I quit.
Is Tennant back for a year or just a Holiday special? I got the feeling it was just a short run and the new guy was going to take over from the last chick (I stopped watching a few years ago - I struggled through the Capaldi years with its ups and downs but lasted only a few episodes with what’s-her-face. I miss Tennant. )

Oh, great. Like it wasn't woke enough already. I've been a Who fan since the late 80's and finally tuned out after Capaldi left. I tried to watch one or two but the in-your-face virtue signaling was just too much.

Is Tennant back for a year or just a Holiday special? I got the feeling it was just a short run and the new guy was going to take over from the last chick (I stopped watching a few years ago - I struggled through the Capaldi years with its ups and downs but lasted only a few episodes with what’s-her-face. I miss Tennant. )
From what I am gathering online, he will be back for the entire 2023 year. It is the 60th anniversary, and he will be doing a series of specials, and then the new guy will take over at the end of the year.

What i read is he has like 3 episodes starting in November culminating in the 60th.

So, yeah, he's the doctor for a 13 months, but we get three shows in November before new guy takes over.

I thought it was the specials only...
Nice to see him though.
I only watched the regeneration ep as my daughter said I'd like it and I did.
It should be much better now that RTD is back in the saddle I got bored when it became the Clara show..
I'd love to see DT or Matt Smith in a whole series with RTD it would be Cool

Fez's are always Cool..

New theories have emerged about who will be playing the new companion. Apparently, since September 25th, Daisy Ridley has been liking almost every one of Ncuti Gatwa's Instagram posts, as well as Gatwa liking Ridley's posts. Now this could mean nothing, however neither of them interacted with each other's social media posts beforehand, at least not nearly as frequently. This to me definitely sounds like they could be working together on something, and considering Ncuti's current project, I have a feeling this may be it.

If this is true, this actually sounds really cool. I've been a fan of Daisy's work since first seeing her in "the Force Awakens", and I think she could be great in DW. She was always one of the stronger parts of the sequel trilogy in my opinion, so seeing the possibility of her going from Jedi to TARDIS-traveler would be awesome.

Remember the intro for the US version when it was Smith and Karen Gillan? It made the show seem like it was her show and he was the guest and people hated the inference even though that wasn't how the show went. Similarly, it turned nearly everyone off when it became the clara show with the doctor more as her companion.

Bringing in a whole new setup and having the companion be the bigger star would seem to be asking for trouble, no?

New theories have emerged about who will be playing the new companion. Apparently, since September 25th, Daisy Ridley has been liking almost every one of Ncuti Gatwa's Instagram posts, as well as Gatwa liking Ridley's posts. Now this could mean nothing, however neither of them interacted with each other's social media posts beforehand, at least not nearly as frequently. This to me definitely sounds like they could be working together on something, and considering Ncuti's current project, I have a feeling this may be it.

If this is true, this actually sounds really cool. I've been a fan of Daisy's work since first seeing her in "the Force Awakens", and I think she could be great in DW. She was always one of the stronger parts of the sequel trilogy in my opinion, so seeing the possibility of her going from Jedi to TARDIS-traveler would be awesome.
Urrggh, this doesn't really appeal to me at all. I didn't enjoy Ridleys performance at all the sequel movies (though I'll freely admit everything else about those movies was so terrible that its hard to judge her actual abilities).
But more importantly, the companions are meant to be just that... companions. The Doctor is the star of the show and who we're all tuning in to see. One of the ways that the newer Who series have struggled is with this insistence on making the companions have bigger and bigger roles, and steal the limelight from the Doctor, It started with Kaen Gillan in the Matt Smith years, was amplified by Jenna Coleman's character during her run and then completely jumped the shark with the companions in the Chibnal era.

They've cast a virtual unknown as the Doctor, which is great. I like when they allow a new actor to put a new spin on the character. But there's a huge risk of a bigger-name actress stealing the limelight, or even just being given story priority due to the weight of her past filmography.
Let this new Doctor shine on his own merits, and let him discover new Companions in new actors, and let them all earn their place in the ongoing story by their performances on the show.

What I hated with the companions, and this started with Rose in the RTD era and has carried on through to today, was that almost every one of them fell in love with the Doctor at some point.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back