Doctor Who Costume

Ash Fisher

I just saw Day of The Doctor, and would like to dress up as the war Doctor, and would appreciate any help I can get from others.

Here is the outfit:

the-war-doctor.jpg

Attachments

• DoctorWhofull outfit.jpg
    DoctorWhofull outfit.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 2,107
Here's a set pic of Hurt that shows how rich the brown on the vest is and maybe a bit of detail on the belt / bandolier.

John Hurt teases Who 50th role, possibly confirming stunning rumor | Blastr

I thought maybe you could go back and look at McGann in the prequel short but his spats, belt and coat are totally different from what Hurt wore. If you have a DVR, you'll just have to try screen grabs. The coat is astoundingly worn though. If you look at some of the shots with him and "The Interface" it looks like that coat is as old as a Timelord.

Mark

The screwdriver is a modified Fourth Doctor toy screwdriver, but an official toy one is up for preorder in the UK.

I asked Lovarzi on FB if they'd make the War Doctor scarf and it depends on demand. So there's a potential route for that. I don't know if I'll put together this costume, but I do want that scarf.

Looks like Entertainment Earth has the War Doctor screwdriver up for preorder for the US

This was helpful thank you. As for the scarf, I was thinking of just finding one of similar color(I'm sure a store out there somewhere would have one). I was also going to try to make the covers on his legs, since it was tied together in the back with laces.

I had also noticed that the coat look 'worn' I have seen similar styles of coat before, but not with the collar.
It's hard to tell what kind of boots he has on because of the covers.

Last edited:
The boots are discontinued military boots from Magnum. They still have similar styles. I don't think his spats do have laces, though, just the buttons on the sides.

For me at least, I think the hardest parts to acquire will be the waistcoat and bandolier. Anyone have any leads on those?

Aeric

The gaiters (not spats) button up on the side, no laces.

image2.jpg

I would think that any black tactical boot would work.

image3.jpg

He appears to be wearing similar, if not the same, pants as the 8th wore in Night of the Doctor.

The belt is a brown, 3 hole military style belt.

The waistcoat appears to be velvet, double breasted, with 2 rows of 6 buttons and lapels.

image.jpg

His shirt is grey or tan with a light, broad stripe and a darker, narrower pinstripe.

Screen%20shot%202013-11-21%20at%201_55_47%20PM.png

The bandolier is still a mystery to me.

5014005-low_res-doctor-who.jpg

Still trying to decide whether that waistcoat is burgundy or bronze. It switches between to two depending on the light and depiction by artist. Any thoughts?

Aeric

This custom-made leather peacoat/car-coat could make a doable War Doctor coat, with lots of weathering and button mods. Also, these custom spats/gaiters on Etsy will make a fine addition, again with proper button replacement and ageing/weathering. Also, for those interested, this is an extremely close match to the 3-grommet belt that John Hurt wears during the 50th, and an all-around nice belt, too. Cheers!

*Edit: the seller relisted the jacket under a different image in his shop here.

Last edited:
Hey guys. Just jumping in on this. I've been working on the War Doctor costume, too. Although I've got a bit of a ways to go as far as authenticity (weathering, correct shoes, bandolier), I think I'm hitting it pretty close so far. Got the gaiters from that Etsy seller, by the way. She did a GREAT job of matching up the buttons for me. Coat was a vintage leather double breasted from Structure.

IMG_9758-2.jpg

The waistcoat is velvet and actually it's green, the light hits the velvet in a weird way and often the grading makes it look brown. So a greeny-bronzy velvet would be the way to go.

Hi, all!

I just found this forum today. I cosplayed the "War/Warrior Doctor" back on November 23 at the simulcast screening in Los Angeles, California. As I didn't have a lot of time nor a lot of reference photos...I did the best I could. Here's a photo with a "The Moment/Rose" cosplayer:

Who_23_4.jpg

Now...you may quibble with a few things but...oh, well. As I said - I had a short amount of time to pull this together.

My face is not as "time-honored" as John Hurt's and I need to lose a few pounds. So...I created a back story. Since the 8th Doctor turned into the YOUNG War Doctor in "The Night of the Doctor" and we see a much older War Doctor in "The Day of the Doctor" - you can reasonably say he's been fighting in the Time War for some years. So...my incarnation is somewhere between the two versions during the early years of the war. That also allows me to have darker hair (although I added in some brush-in white makeup in the beard/mustache). The same back story allows me to get away with less weathering of the overall costume (as I'm loath to do much with the leather coat).

The gaiters... I had purchased some pleather ones from a (horse) riding supply house but they turned out to be sized for children and, as I've never worn gaiters or even spats before - I had not a clue how to size them ahead of time. It turns out they were way too small and I ran out of time to get any adult ones let alone any custom ones. So...I headed to a chain sporting goods store here in California named REI and bought these nylon hiking/mountaineering ones. One size fits all as they use Velcro fastening in the front.

Another fashion decision I made was to go with basically an all-black color match. The "boots" are black Sketcher shoes and I'm wearing black Levis straight leg jeans. Both the shirt and the double-prong (the real belt is triple-prong) belt were bought at another chain store here in the US known as Target. A big advantage to this is that I can easily wear the shirt, pants and shoes say - to work - with no problems and it's much easier to move around in and to drive my car. I then just go in the bathroom and apply some hair gell for the "fauxhawk" along with the white beard/mustache makeup. When I get to my destination - I can easily slip on the gaiters, put on the vest, put on the scarf, add the double-Albert watch chain, throw on the bandolier (the sonic I have here was a quick custom job made out the Trans-temporal sonic and some pieces from the mix-and-match sonic...I now have the official one) and slip on the coat.

Here's yet another photo with an Eleventh Doctor, a Tenth Doctor (who is married to "The Moment/Rose"), me and "The Moment/Rose":
Who_23_1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And another one: Who_23_6.jpg

Hey, I saw you at the Orange county showing the following Monday. I was the Tennant in the group with the Eccleston and Baker.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back