Do you think screen used wardrobe pieces are cleaned before sales?

All three of the Stargate Jaffa costumes that I've purchased directly or indirectly through Propworx are certainly not washed. My first one still had hard pressed mild mud stains on the knees and an arm from a likely rainy shoot, my second reeked of a gym locker and got a hose down with Fabreze, and the third actually isn't too bad, but will get a dose of Fabreze as soon as I buy a refill. In any case, due to the paint job on the faux chainmail that would surely come off in washing, and it hasn't, that's how I know for certain what I ended up with.

So, if your costume/wardrobe pieces smell like an old clothes hamper then you've probably got eau de <celebrity name here>, stale and pungent.

Last edited:
Yuck! Yuck! Yuck! Ewwwww!

Oh I dunno. It depends.

I could probably live with it :D

d2ea9e6d034d7446ca1ab715ba4d63d2

a5a48c2c4a44a6fc16a12c3a13f739fa

No, hang on. Truth be told, I'd insist it not be cleaned :lol

Well, yeah, if the choices are between Jeri Ryan's fancy dress, or some bear dude's forest junk rot infused faux chainmail, then the dress wins every time, Alan! =P

Peaches & cream, for sure.

... trotting off to the Dirty Old Man thread in the OT now :lol

Edit - I take that back. She's only one year younger than me.

Fair game. :behave

I purchased a costume from propstore and it came cleaned. Heck, it still had the dry cleaners bag with it. Love the costume. Propstore is a great store to work with..

I had a costume worn by Julianne moore a while back that still had her tissues and gum wrappers in the
pocket AND a picture of her child :)

I think it absolutely depends on the piece and the company selling it.. Delicate pieces will most likely not be cleaned, pieces that get a great attention and are to yield a great price might get cleaned.. Also remember that wardrobe pieces also get cleaned by production regularly..

Also cleaning can be appropiate for certain pieces, as sweat and dirt are to further detoriate fabrics..

The Mad Men Don Draper suit I bought at auction last year had no discernible scent to it, either good or bad. You'd think it would have smelled of cigarettes, whiskey or Jon Hamm's handsomeness.

Me-and-Don-3.jpg

I was wondering the same thing. I bought a Denzel Washington book of Eli costume and while it has no smell i think/hope it was washed. In an interview, Denzel said he choose not to wear underwear during filming...lol. Its from premier props and the undershirt seems like it was cleaned so i think the whole costume was as well.

Not entirely the same, but similar...

I've bought game used Rugby and Hockey Jerseys before. Those always seem to come uncleaned and smelly. I washed them as I bought them to wear. But I do imagine there are some collectors out there who frame them up as is, smell and all lol

Don't you feel like getting it dry-cleaned ..... just in case ? :lol

I suppose i should.....just in case..lol
Question though, there are fake bloods stains and dirt on the wardrobe, do you think dry cleaning would remove any of that. All the blood drops are screen matched to the piece and i would hate to have them removed by dry cleaning.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back