Do you read the new Star Wars EU books?

Sluis Van Shipyards

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
For people who read most/all of the old Star War Expanded Universe, do you read any of the new stuff? I never read anything after they killed the original EU.

For people who read most/all of the old Star War Expanded Universe, do you read any of the new stuff? I never read anything after they killed the original EU.

I've read a couple: Bloodline by Claudia Grey, Thrawn and Thrawn: Alliances by Tim Zahn, and Star Wars: Ashoka by E. K. Johnston.

Bloodline and the Thrawn novels were okay and the Ashoka novel definitely had its moments, but was mostly eh.

I was hard core reading and buying everything canon until I disagreed with ep8. Now I just don’t care we’re any of this story goes

Not really. I read the Thrawn books, only because I like Tim Zahn, but otherwise, I just don't care. The franchise is so entirely screwed up that I have zero interest in it these days.

Dark empire trilogy is something to look into now with ep9 next month

I think ep9 will take a lot from the thrawn and dark empire trilogy’s

Nah, and weirdly enough if anything I find myself rejecting Disneys fan-fiction more and more as time goes by. Almost like I view it as something entirely separate, kinda like Indy 4 which most of us probably pretend doesn’t exist

Like really though, if I suddenly became insanely rich overnight and bought StarWars from Disney, why would that suddenly make my thoughts and ideas more valid than anything that came before it? Just because I had the money to throw around to assert my will?

I picked up one that was set just after ROTJ, and was going to cover the last general's/admirals deciding how to run the empire. But it got boring about 2-3 chapters in. They were trying to set up 3+ main characters, none of which knew each other. I just lost interest.

I think it's just that the books don't interest me. The xwing books were not great, they were just easy reads about a topic that was amusing. I think I'm just past enjoying the novels.

Pre disney I either bought or checked out from the library and read all of it.
I hated quite a bit of it but I still consumed it.
Haven't bought a thing since Disney acquired (Literary speaking).

I have and love Chuck Wendig's Aftermath trilogy. It took a second to get used to the present-tense writing style, but once I made the mental switchover, it really pulls you through the story. After the first one, I bought the second one, but waited to read it until I had the third one, too, because at the end of the first one, I wanted to keep going, and couldn't, and it felt like this:

9ed6e357a6bc6b069ef7f68887f31a97.jpg

I also like Lost Stars, in no small part because in it we see Rae Sloane (who's a central figure in the Aftermath Trilogy) at a significantly earlier point in her life.

I have, but have not yet read, the Thrawn books. I admit to not being a huge fan of Tim Zahn's Star Wars work, for all he helped kick off the Star Wars Renaissance in the '90s. I like his new characters he created, but his take on the established characters felt off. I preferred Outbound Flight and Allegiance from the EU, for instance, as they focused on all his own characters.

I have mixed feelings about Bloodline. In itself, it's a good read. I just feel it should have been an episode of the saga, as it helps establish the ST setting and some of the characters we should have some attachment to.

I love Phasma as a character delve. She scares me a lot more after reading that. I'm reading Del's post-TLJ follow-up Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire now. It's nice to have the touchstone of characters from Phasma for a bit of the familiar, even as they're in a different situation now, and it's making me seriously itchy to visit Disney so I can walk through what I'm reading about.

I just recently picked up Resistance Reborn, based on the first chapter, and it's next.

After I've finished those four in my Star Wars backlog, I'll work on picking up more that I haven't gotten to yet, but that intrigue me, like Last Shot, Battlefront, and Alphabet Squadron.

And even though this thread is about the new novels, I also recommend the Marvel Star Wars offerings over on the comic book side of things.

I disliked the Chuck Wendig books. I just couldn't get over the style of writing.

I loved the Vader comic series by Charles Soule, and working my way through them again, along with the TFA/TLJ novels.

I love books and reading, so was always going to give it a go, and for the most part I enjoy the new books, far more than I did the direction the EU ended up going

Yeah so now even the dumbest things are as canon as the movies. Can you imagine if the worst of the old EU, like The Crystal Star was canon? I think if they were smart they would say it was selectively canon, as in if a movie wanted to pull from them or reference them that would be canon.

Yes all the new books and new comics are canon. It is not as dumb as the EU because there is a story group and some other entities that make sure a character isn't in 10 different places at the same time.

I find most of the new books enjoyable and they at least expand the universe. When they are really good like the 1st Darth Vader comic series it fills in between some lines and informs some character decisions in some movies and makes it seem better. Just like how Clone Wars makes Anakin's turn in Ep3 at least a bit more believable.

Yes all the new books and new comics are canon. It is not as dumb as the EU because there is a story group and some other entities that make sure a character isn't in 10 different places at the same time.

They actually had a similar thing for years in the original EU. That's why they had all the multiple book story arcs (New Jedi Order, Legacy of the Force, Fate of the Jedi, etc.). I don't remember any big problems where people were in multiple places because, other than the Clone Wars books, the books just said it happened in a certain year, not the exact month.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back