DL-21 Blaster Pistol Variant WIP (PIC HEAVY)

Geber Teg

I'm finally making some good headway on my DL-21 variant! :D

Original DL-21, as seen in ESB with Rebel troops on Hoth and also Dengar's sidearm, (with link to Wookieepedia article) for reference:

Instead, I'm starting with a Charter Arms Explorer II, a pistol version of the AR-7 survival rifle from which the DL-21 was based. Obviously, the grip is quite different, as is the back part of the receiver, and also the rear sight. Hence, why it's a 'variant' - it's gonna have some differences. Personally, I think the grip looks similar to the Bolo Broomhandle Mauser.

Charter Arms Explorer II:

ca_explorer2_1.jpg

ArmaLite AR-7 Explorer (with link to Wikipedia article) for reference:

Today, I went to the shop, not for work, but to play! :)

I recently got my hands on a couple mortar fin assemblies: original WWII-era British 2 inch (50mm) mortar fins, which someone turned into a petrol lighter (I think this is what they call Trench Art):

6489787421_4ebd988e52.jpg

...which I'm saving for a screen accurate DL-21 build.

The other is a modern US 81mm mortar fin assembly:

6489783235_0dd7419892_z.jpg

Compared to the 50mm fins, they were far too big! So, I drew some lines, did some cutting on the band-saw, then put it to spinning and started cleaning it up. (Sorry, in advance, for the crappy cell phone pics.)

6489756481_d190298fe0_z.jpg

6489756799_254268dc75_z.jpg

6489756533_1ccdc7a588_z.jpg

I turned down the front half of my barrel and threaded it to the same pitch as the fins. There's a small, brass washer behind the fins (barely visible in the poor-quality phone pic). Also shown in the pic is a Webley 4x15 scope.

6489756847_5ea5fee8fe_z.jpg

I also have a bronze bushing that will soon be tapped to thread onto the barrel and turned down to an attractive emitter. Also on the agenda: scope mount rail.

More updates to follow! ;)

Very cool :thumbsup...

even if I´d swap the scope for a SP or a generic, but SHORTER one.
The long 4x15 seems a bit out of place IMHO

Markus

I like it! I was never aware there was a pistol version. Everyone said it was a cut down rifle. So which is correct for the movie version?

Thanks!

I'd love to get my hands on a couple Single Point scopes! One for my screen accurate DL-21 and one for my A280 build.

I agree, it does look a bit long on this. I have several options on hand - Webley 4x15, Weaver Qwik-Point S-1, Hensoldt Wetzlar ZF2x17°, M38 and M77C tank telescopes, etc. - but I'm not completely satisfied with any of them. Eventually, I'll find something that fits.

Jason,

My understanding is that the movie props were made from castings of an AR-7 rifle receiver.

I have seen pistol versions of the AR-7 with the original style receiver, but they are very rare. That's what I'm planning on using, if I ever find another for sale; the last one slipped through my fingers before I could buy it.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back