ANH Stormtrooper Stunt Helmet Build (From Scratch)

TheDragon

Hi,

Since the beginning of this year I had a harebrained idea to build a vacuum forming machine, which lead me down the rabbit hole of star wars helmets and now to having begun sculpting moulds to produce a stunt tk helmet. I am wanting to eventually use polypropylene to form it with the intention of making an "as close to" screen accurate helmet as I can get and make a bust to display with it (chestplate etc.).

January-ish I started planning my vacuum forming machine in solidworks and was able to build it mid February and did a lot of testing to get it working right (still have a ways to go) but as uni started up again have less time to get into the garage and tinker with it as well as run around and get supplies.

I'm not entirely new to the history behind this helmet, having mostly memorised everything that's on starwarshelmets but don't really use this forum but as I was preparing to model this helmet read a bunch of old threads and thought this forum would be a better place to go than whitearmor or a 3D modelling specific forum due to some people's knowledge of the helmet down to the bumps and brush strokes on it.

So far I have modelled the faceplate and begun on the rear of it but was eager to finish the faceplate before moving onto the rest. I'm a self taught 3D modeller and use the freeware Blender to do all my work but found it's just as powerful as any other programs out there. My plan is to get all the main features of the helmet out in my model and to sculpt all the bumps and marking inside the traps afterwards.

I was looking for guidance on where my model isn't correct in comparison to one of the original faceplates (as much scrutiny as possible) and where to look out for going into the next stage of adding the minor details like the bump on the dome etc. I'm mainly interested in the faceplate at the moment, and haven't finished the back as you'll tell straight away it's missing the rear traps. I am also struggling with the depth of the eyes, front traps and indents the hovi mix pieces go into as I don't have a lineage helmet to compare it too as well as the fact that the model is like 1cm in width which i'll have to scale appropriately later on.

I also have a resin printer and will eventually make the moulds with that which will hopefully capture all the details in the model.

I think that's enough yapping on my behalf though and if you have gotten this far down the page thank you and if you wanted to know anything more just ask as I'm not sure If I covered everything in this post.

Below I have attached some images, all of them were taken with a viewport focal length of 100mm (if that helps ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ) as well as one rendered image where I show off my bad rendering skills. If you needed any addition angles please ask as well, or to remove something like the brow or hovi mix's from around the model to see what's under it.
Thanks Again

Attachments

• Front.png
    Front.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 58
  • UnderRight.png
    UnderRight.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 49
  • Underneath 1.png
    Underneath 1.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
  • TopDown.png
    TopDown.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
  • Side.png
    Side.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot 2024-04-01 004000.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-01 004000.png
    646.3 KB · Views: 36
  • RightSide.png
    RightSide.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
  • RealTop.png
    RealTop.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
  • LeftSide.png
    LeftSide.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I have made a few changes to the faceplate model since the last post, it's not perfect but unless I had a lineage helmet to compare to I don't think I can do much better. For that same reason I decided not to include the various warts on the faceplate in the print. For reference here is a few images of the faceplate prior to making the mould from it (I'll explain my mould making process further down).
untitled.png

The above photo has my sample tear indentation in it, which used a displacement map so that I could edit it without ruining the ability to easily manipulate the geometry of the faceplate.

And here a photo of it with my WIP ear and rest of helmet:
KhakiWEar.png

Once again asking for feedback (or good photo reference), but this time on the left ear, as It will be the next on the list to print due to its ease to do so. I'll post more on the ear at a later point in time.

Once I was satisfied with the model I began constructing the mould from a algorithmically altered version of the faceplate model out of resin.

As my resin printer isn't big enough to print the faceplate in one go I made it in 3 parts and designed a mdf support structure to give the mould more rigidity without increasing print time, part size and to align the parts properly.

20240412_195503.jpg

Above is the 3 Parts of the faceplate out of the printer, notice the right most piece is missing a chunk, thats as the rest exceeded my printers build height. Some of the supports still haven't been properly removed.

20240413_175402.jpg

Above is the Internal laser cut support I made on my DIY cnc mill turned laser cutter (It requires a lot of effort to not go blind whilst using). I attached an additional picture to this post.

20240413_180410.jpg

Finally above is the rough assembly of the mould, Note the lower end on either side of the vocoder is all wrong, this is a mistake I'm still kicking myself over and i'll need to spend a long time sanding out.

I had problems in vacuum forming R2 parts with the seams showing in the final part which I believe is caused by different materials responding differently to the heat of the plastic (contracting at different rates), to remedy this I'll use UV resin and hand cure it with a UV torch as a means to use 1 material for the whole mould to hopefully prevent this from happening on the part. Worst case scenario, I make a mould of the resin version and cast it in a different material.

The mould Is far from finished but I just wanted to make an update as I wanted to keep a somewhat consistent record of this project. Once I get more time I'll do the most fun part of sanding the mould!

Also If anybody has been down this road before advice would be great.

Attachments

• 20240413_175629.jpg
    20240413_175629.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back