difference in paints when it comes to material

Predator of Jax

I'm trying to see if there would be a difference in airbrush paints when it comes to painting either rubber, or painting latex, etc.

I am still trying to learn from everyone. So, where should I start?

go to a costume store and buy a few ounces of latex.put it in a bottle and add 50%water,shake it up a bunch and now u have ure base.from here u can add around 40% acrylic water based airbrush paint.u want the consistancy of milk as u can then spray it through a airbrush and get a very nice finish with great coverage and plus it stays flexible and a little bit glossy.adherse very good aswell to latex masks skins ect.havent top coated it yet but it already is a very good paint.and cheap!

go to a costume store and buy a few ounces of latex.put it in a bottle and add 50%water,shake it up a bunch and now u have ure base.from here u can add around 40% acrylic water based airbrush paint.u want the consistancy of milk as u can then spray it through a airbrush and get a very nice finish with great coverage and plus it stays flexible and a little bit glossy.adherse very good aswell to latex masks skins ect.havent top coated it yet but it already is a very good paint.and cheap!

yea, sounds good. thanks dude!

i take it that any airbrush kit (preferably gravity feed) will suffice, yea?

If you are painting latex rubber.

You need:

Rubbing Alcohol
Acrylic Paint Color
Pros-Aide Adhesive or equivalent (PROAdhesive is generic version)

Spray on a layer of Prosaide adhesive on your surface. Let dry till tacky.
Then thin down your acrylic colors with water and or Prosaide Adhesive.
Spray on your colors taking care not to build up a large thickness of color. The paint will chip off if you built too many layers without it being stuck to the latex.

The prosaide acts as a bonding agent for the paint. Acryclic will not stick to flexible latex without it. It will crack and chip off.

(The thing to do here is experiement with MIXTURE ratios. Airbrushes are picky tools. They need to be super clean and you need to have your air pressure correctly set)

Other people here use RUBBER INKS. From what I gather they are more expensive but do not require a adhesive to bond it.
I am pretty sure this is what the Professionals use.

I only have direct experience with the Prosaide/Acrylic airbrushing method.

If you are painting latex rubber.

You need:

Rubbing Alcohol
Acrylic Paint Color
Pros-Aide Adhesive or equivalent (PROAdhesive is generic version)

Spray on a layer of Prosaide adhesive on your surface. Let dry till tacky.
Then thin down your acrylic colors with water and or Prosaide Adhesive.
Spray on your colors taking care not to build up a large thickness of color. The paint will chip off if you built too many layers without it being stuck to the latex.

The prosaide acts as a bonding agent for the paint. Acryclic will not stick to flexible latex without it. It will crack and chip off.

(The thing to do here is experiement with MIXTURE ratios. Airbrushes are picky tools. They need to be super clean and you need to have your air pressure correctly set)

Other people here use RUBBER INKS. From what I gather they are more expensive but do not require a adhesive to bond it.
I am pretty sure this is what the Professionals use.

I only have direct experience with the Prosaide/Acrylic airbrushing method.

yea, more so what i was looking for... how about spandex, lycra? i really appreciate the knowledge

Lycra? Spandex? You will need some form of adhesive to get paint to stick to it. Problem with Acrylics is they are made for a Canvas or piece of papaer etc. Not for flexible pieces of clothe.

That airbrush kit looks a little sketchy.

Seems like a good deal. You are better off with a BADGER airbrush or Pasche H I beleive it was called.

basically any airbrush will work.gravity fed is better than syphon fed.the more expensive it is chances are its a better gun,you get wut u pay for.the cleaner it is and newer the less problems ull have.i do custom airbrushing on a variety of objects with a variety of paints(eurethane,solvent based,acrylic)and didnt have much trouble spraying the stuff.viscosity is everything.if u spray and it spits out and is not consistant or its not coming out at all(knowing ure airbrush is clean)than ure paint mixture is too thick.if it spiders out and runs off its too thin obviously.sounds like a big hassle but u will never hand paint a finish as good as a airbrush and ull never do it as fast either.plus the self satisfaction of doing it ure self!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back