Die Cast Lighted 1/350th TOS Enterprise (TOMY crowd funded)

Interesting take from people on here. I would be in all the offerings from the original series, Next Gen and SNW...I actually like the Enterprise design from SNW. Not in love it with but if I could own a replica of it I wouldn't mind it.

The JJ Enterprise can crash into a blackhole for all I care. IMO the ugliest design for the one of the most iconic ships in Science Fiction/Fantasy. How anyone can screw up the Matt Jeffries design is beyond me. But give it to JJ he is very good at screwing things up.

I personally can't wait till next year to receive my TOS Enterprise and I am so pumped for a Refit at 1/350 with electronics! I would like some SFX if possible. Also it would be cool if they have several variations on the lighting. One where the slowly emerging lights while in Drydock. Warp speed, and the usually fully lit enterprise. Maybe even add some phasers and torpedo launching effects!

And yeah if it cost more than the 600 bucks I'd be willing to pay for all the extras.

I think a few posts back, someone mentioned Tomy should make the Galileo 7. I've been warming to that idea. I think it would be cool for them to make a 1:12 scale version which lights up and has a full interior.

(I would have suggested 1/6 scale - but that's nearly 4 ft and would weigh a ton in die cast. [To give you an idea of how oversized it would be, here is an example of a 1/6 scale TOS shuttle: An Incredibly Detailed Star Trek Shuttlecraft — Art | Make: ]. Even a 1/8 scale would have been near 3 ft and been massively heavy. 1/10 scale might be doable at 2.3 ft, but the 1/12 scale just feels like it would be about right. That said, I noticed something odd. The Galileo model from Polar Lights is 11 inches long and claims to be 1/32 scale. Yet a 23 ft ship should only be about 8 inches long at that scale - making me wonder what the PL's true scale might be.)

Thoughts?

EDIT: To answer my own question about the Polar Lights Galileo 7, a 1:24 scale 23ft ship is approx 11.5 inches, so it would appear the PL Galileo is around 1:24 scale

Last edited:
I think a few posts back, someone mentioned Tomy should make the Galileo 7. I've been warming to that idea. I think it would be cool for them to make a 1:12 scale version (placing it just under 2 ft), which lights up and has a full interior.

(I would have suggested 1/6 scale - but that's nearly 4 ft and would weigh a ton in die cast. Even a 1/8 scale would have been near 3 ft and been massively heavy. 1/10 scale might be doable at 2.3 ft. But 1/12 scale feels about right. Thoughts? )
I've been waiting for a high quality large scale replica of the Galileo forever...FOREVER. So YES I would definitely be into that. A 1/12 scale sounds just right. Love to see a fully lit interior with all the details from the series. Light up engines and SFX! And as a bonus they should include the giant Neanderthal creatures with boulders! : ) Throw in a spear too! : )

Sadly Fall 2023 is a long way away but this will happen. Then, hopefully my beloved refit so I can skip the hell of trying to build my Polar Lights one. Seeing all these amazing talents showing theirs off is really annoying. :p :lol:
I am sure the refit will follow! That I really can't wait for! If TOMY delivers a remarkable TOS then look out! This could break all records for TOMY SALES!!! :)

For everyone on this thread here is the latest interview with Gary Kerr on the Tomy Enterprise:

And here is what I got in the email today!

TOMY's 1/350 Enterprise is currently in the tooling stage, meaning that the steel molds that will create the parts and panels of the Enterprise is underway, and I'm expecting to see test shots of the starship in late November. i will be more than happy to visually share its progress in the next update.

The results of the next Crowdsources TOMY Star Trek starship are in and likewise, in parallel, I have been working closely with a select crew of well-known Star Trek consultants to decide what, when and how the next offering will be served up! More to come on that, but we are pumped about the bright future of Star Trek and TOMY.

Quick question, what's the best Prime Universe USS Enterprise, The Motion Picture version, or the Wrath of Khan version? Both are very similar, but there are noticeable differences...

Fun fact: my crack-team of Trekxperts (band name! called it) and I have been kicking around the idea of a highly detailed, electronic, diecast series of Federation shuttlecraft. The classic Class F shuttlecraft is a favorite, but what about the Type 4, Type 6, or Type 12 or even the Surak Vulcan warp sled? Maybe even a S10 travel pod or a Danube class runabout! Obviously, these would not be as large or the same price as TOMY's Enterprise, but something smaller, fully detailed, and priced accordingly. I can see it now...

Thanks again for your continued support! Without you, we wouldn't be doing this.

So much more to come in the next update. Stay tuned!

- Chris

So it looks like the next build is going to happen!!! Hope it is the refit that won out!!!

Quick question, what's the best Prime Universe USS Enterprise, The Motion Picture version, or the Wrath of Khan version? Both are very similar, but there are noticeable differences...

Fun fact: my crack-team of Trekxperts (band name! called it) and I have been kicking around the idea of a highly detailed, electronic, diecast series of Federation shuttlecraft. The classic Class F shuttlecraft is a favorite, but what about the Type 4, Type 6, or Type 12 or even the Surak Vulcan warp sled? Maybe even a S10 travel pod or a Danube class runabout! Obviously, these would not be as large or the same price as TOMY's Enterprise, but something smaller, fully detailed, and priced accordingly. I can see it now...

So it looks like the next build is going to happen!!! Hope it is the refit that won out!!!
Given the question he asked about the different versions of the Film Enterprises, I suspect it did win out. :)

So what version of the original (non-A) Film Enterprise do people here prefer?

Also, it seems like you'll also get your wish about the TOS Shuttle as well. Now we'll have to see what scale they might produce them in. Given his conversation with Gary, it sounds like they could be in the 1/12 - 1/24 scale. We'll have to make our preferences known!

Besides a TOS shuttle, I'd love both a Travel Pod and a Work Bee in the same scale!

What are the differences between TMP and WOK Enterprises? The level of pearlescent paint on the aztecing? Colour of the strongback?

I'd sure like to see the main deflector change colour from impulse to warp.

What are the differences between TMP and WOK Enterprises? The level of pearlescent paint on the aztecing? Colour of the strongback?
Yeah - I'm not sure myself what the distinction is between the two. As such, I'd be curious to know what those "noticeable differences" actually are.

I'm looking at the Bandai 1/850 Enterprise...it's got pearlescent decals over the whole thing, but only in a single hue. It doesn't look too bad...it sells the scale of the model, and reflects light in a nice way. I'd be happy with a scaled-up version with that level of fidelity.

I'd sure like to see the main deflector change colour from impulse to warp.

The primary difference is the excessive dulling-down of the pearl paints. They also penciled in some faux-Aztec lines in various spots to help suggest the panel pattern after the dulling.

Some of the running lights were also changed from steady-on to blinkers, the impulse crystal color went from red-orange to blue-white (presumably because Trumbull used color filters or optically-superimposed colors over it, whereas ILM did not—also, the impulse engines appear blue in TFF, whereas they’re red-orange in the other films, so it’s probably the same deal with them), and the deflector dish was always blue from TWOK-on. And, of course, the battle-damage was added.

As much as we love TWOK, the appearance of the model in both it and the later films was a definite downgrade from TMP.

Frankly, there shouldn’t even be a question, here. The TMP version is the best and purest state of the model, so I’d vote for that, OR for the UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY repaint of 1701-A, which has the best reference material for color and detail of any iteration of the Refit, and is also distinctly different enough from the TMP Refit in terms of paint and detailing to justify giving it a shot.

They could just do both, with variations in the color scheme, Aztecing, and markings (as well as the extra deflector gridlines on 1701-A). Spilt the run in half, and let people choose one or the other version.

In this screencap from TWOK, you can see the pencil lines they added to the secondary hull and nacelle pylon to make up for the dulled-down pearlescent paneling. It’s…not an improvement from the TMP look. And I say this while also having great love for ILM’s work on the films.

“Vandalism” is too strong a word, but it’s regrettable that they had to do this in order to make the model suitable for their style of bluescreen shooting.

4865C5DA-E9B3-40F9-9987-E3F422096D14.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back