Die Cast Lighted 1/350th TOS Enterprise (TOMY crowd funded)

The F model is interesting I have the gold plated game model given to the game production team. It a cool design

Yeah I have been waiting for someone to make a model other then the 3" version. I just love it and felt it was the perfect follow up to the E.

I just don't think there's enough detail to TOS's Klingon ship to justify the cost. It's too simple looking. Even next to the TOS Enterprise, it's going to look out of place and underdone by comparison.

Now, if we were talking about TMP's Klingon ship, that would be another story. There is a LOT to work with there and it looks really cool.

I just don't think there's enough detail to TOS's Klingon ship to justify the cost. It's too simple looking. Even next to the TOS Enterprise, it's going to look out of place and underdone by comparison.

Now, if we were talking about TMP's Klingon ship, that would be another story. There is a LOT to work with there and it looks really cool.
Whaaaaht .... even thou the Romulans switched to the Klingon design ? blasphemy lol

I'm kinda surprised by people even bringing up the d7 when the refit is on the table, or the D.
It's certainly cool, but these are the most beloved and intricately painted hero ships of the past 56 years we're talking about (besides the original which is already on the way of course).
It's like passing up a good steak in favor of paying the same price for a hotdog instead, not knowing if steak will ever be on the menu again. Continued support for this line of ships is not guaranteed, vote as if it will be the last one! (Like blspro mentioned there might be a better case for one if it were the more detailed TMP model, but as it is I feel like I could do a decent job 3D printing the TOS D7 myself already).

My first priority after TOS is personally the D, since the original crew/era will already be represented by the TOS Enterprise and it would be nice to hit two different captains first before doubling up on Kirk's. But I certainly wouldn't complain about getting the Refit next either.

(I didn't bring up the SNW Enterprise because I simply have higher priorities, but to be honest I'd be thrilled to get it as well, it's a fun design and SNW is great.)

I'd rather have the Klingon D7. I grew up with the original series and loved the design of that ship, plus I think it would pair better with TOS Enterprise.

Next I'd want the Refit and the Klingon K't'inga, again a good pair to match.

A lot of it probably comes down to your age and what you grew up watching. Just because something is painted fancier doesn't mean you are as emotionally attached to it. I'd rather have the Jupiter 2 from Lost in Space that the Enterprise D. The Jupiter 2 isn't as fancy or interesting a design, but I would smile more when I saw it.

I also think TOMY might make more profit from a D7 exactly because it is simpler. Making a profit is what will encourage TOMY to continue with Star Trek ships. I think there is a much bigger market for a Refit, though.

I understand that people would like to have a companion piece to the TOS Enterprise. Unfortunately, while the 11 ft Enterprise model has a wealth of detail, the 29 inch D7 model has a paucity of such detail. As such, the stark difference in detailing between the two would make them seem to be mismatched pieces rather than companion pieces. That's why I said the TMP Klingon ship would be a much better idea, since the level of its details would match those of the TMP Enterprise.

They are much better companion pieces for one another.

I personally chose the TMP/Refit version of the Enterprise as the next TOMY offering partially because that is my preference but partially as a strategy. As both VitalNonsense and animator say, having the next one be profitable is a very important goal to keep in mind, since that would help the line to continue *past* these first couple ships. However, contrary to animator, I think a safer bet, sales-wise, is the TMP Enterprise, not the TOS D7. That's because, regardless of how 'simple' a model might be to make, there is a definite *minimum* number of models which MUST be purchased in order for that ship to go into production. And since the TOS Enterprise really struggled to reach its numbers (numbers which had to be reduced to near the basement of that minimum), it is highly unlikely a *far* less popular ship (like the TOS D7) would reach that minimum. As animator correctly states, "there is a much bigger market for a Refit" than for the TOS D7. That being the case, it is far more likely the Refit would reach the minimum required orders - and thus guarantee the continuation of the line to a third ship and beyond.

Concerning the other options that were offered, I certainly like the idea of a TNG Enterprise. I would be very curious to see what TOMY could do with the design. And if it *is* produced, I will likely get one. But, on a personal level, the TNG ship always felt less 'real' to me than the TOS Enterprise. Given its supposed size, the D just didn't have the appropriate 'weight' and 'heft' to it - if that makes sense. Though it wasn't CG to begin with, to me the D always *felt* like it was CG (at least on television). That's why I prefer the other ships (aka TMP Enterprise and TMP Klingon ship).

Finally, regarding NuTrek and its kitbashed, mal-integrated designs, they have no appeal to me. I am simply not a fan.

All of which is why I chose the TMP/Refit version of Enterprise as my uncontested first choice, and the TNG version of Enterprise-D as my distant second choice.

Last edited:
However, contrary to animator, I think a safer bet, sales-wise, is the TMP Enterprise, not the TOS D7.

I meant I think the refit has a bigger market and is a better bet for a high number of sales. I think the D7 has a much more limited market, but I want it more. I'm not expecting a super level of detail, I know what the model is... maybe add some lighting and a little embellishment (like adding the saucer separation to the TOS), but the D7 is what existed on the show and the correct companion to the TOS Enterprise.

Lots of people on this forum strive to recreated flawed looking props because that was what was filmed... the D7 is my flawed looking prop.

I'm concerned about a relative low priced refit and the excited expectations of fans picking at every little detail. Would that make TOMY think Start Trek collector props are too much trouble?

I'm in for a refit, but make sure the price is high enough to make a profit and work to the fan expectations. I don't know what that price is. I also don't know how much that price might cut into the market.

Still want a D7 most. I'd sign up for 1 or 2 today. I certainly understand other people wanting something else. Hopefully we can all get the ships we want. I'd would also like a Romulan Warbird and a Doomsday machine... it know those are low detail, too.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back