Did you win a Halloween costume countest this year ?

Time for my first post here!
I won a contest with my Captain Jack Sparrow costume:

Most of my gear is home-made and the things I buy (like the rings and the weapons) I usually end up modifying in different ways.

WoW! That's one BIG Chalice. If you can get to the Fountain of Youth with that, you can collect enough water to live forever and then some : ) As soon as you wind up things At Worlds End, of course!

Welcome to the RPF! Great work on the costume. Hope you will be making more posts, and hope to see more pictures of your work!

Shylaah

Win? Why yes, I did!

Costume: The vault dweller from "Fallout 3", wearing the Armored Vault Suit
Cathegory won: "most ambitions", at the yearly halloweenparty at my local goth/electro club

First things first; I´m a complete noob when it comes to serious cosplay and propmaking of the level I find in this place, (I mostly just have to worry about no bigger probolems than getting a cravat in order, or rescue a falling-apart frock coat and things like that) so please bear that in mind.
Second; I´m unemployed and more-or-less broke and had to make my outfit on a pretty much non-existant budget. The only thing actually bought was the blue coverall, and some 3000 yards or so of duct tape...

And pics!
As to not screw up or break rules for pic-size and the rest, I´ll just link to the pictures on my photobucket.

The stuff, as is:

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t90/hemlox76/1-3.jpg

Close up:

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t90/hemlox76/4-2.jpg

Trying to get that filthy ghoul out of the bathroom:

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t90/hemlox76/DSCF0463.jpg

Sneaking towards the bar:

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t90/hemlox76/f3.jpg

Checking damages the morning after. Cracked skull, rad-poisoning and all out of ammo should be evidence of a good party, right?

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t90/hemlox76/f33.jpg

I wore my Optimus Prime to 3 contests. I "tied" a guy who competed wearing a superman t shirt while sitting in a wheelchair AKA Christopher Reeve. Then I lost to a real midget that was dressed as an oompa Loompa, then I won another vs. a girl dressed in a skimpy Mermaid costume. These Bar Costume contests suck because they are all done based on crowd applause and held around midnight when everyone is crap-faced. The DJ's always say "hey, if you brought plenty of buds with you, then you have a chance" cause it's based on crowd applause. I never like to brag about my costumes but when it came to the work that I put into Optimus vs. the lack of work and appearance of the competition it's just not right. In the past when I have lost, as was the case this year, there are always tons of people that are saying to me "hey, that contest must have been rigged, your costume was incredible! By the way...can I get a picture with you?". At least I was able to win a couple of contests.

I do not have pictures from the contests.

Paul

I know how you feel. It sucks when they do it this way because some people just don't seem to understand the work that goes into these suits. I did Captain America this year and while it's not as amazing as your Optimus suit, I put quite a bit of work and time into it. I lost to two guys dressed as the Blues Brothers and a couple dressed as beetlejuice and lydia. I mean, like you I feel bad saying that my costume was better than someone else's, but it's pretty clear how much more work I put into my suit than they did. The blues brothers costumes are something that can be done in five minutes at goodwill and the beetlejuice, while a cool idea, was not done very well. It just sucks losing to people that clearly didn't try as hard as you. I would have gladly lost to your optimus suit because it kicks ass!

Ok, so I'm done venting, I'm most of you have experienced similar situations. Sometimes people just wouldn't know an awesome costume if it jumped up and bit em in the ass :lol

I consider myself and my work the local Johnny Depp of costume contests...

The one everybody loves, but never wins.

=\

Wore Rapunzel to a couple bars, one didn't have a contest, but I did gain a fangirl who seemed like she was about to cry because she was so excited and in love with Tangled ( this was the beginning of the night before people were even drunk yet! haha ). So that was IMMENSELY flattering. She kept looking over at me all night like a little kid, even after taking some pictures with me.

Second time out, I was definitely a crowd favourite. Girls loved it, guys appreciated it. And Rapunzel is definitely not a skanky costume by any means, so to have the amount of guys come up to me and just say that I looked amazing was SO so sweet and flattering!!! The contest there was by applause and even though I definitely got past the first round, the DJ picked out his friends in PEZ heads, a deadmau5 head and the girls rugby team that was there that night were loud enough for their friend as Rosa Parks to win ( girl dressed as an old lady with a box painted like a bus around her... ). I HATE bar contests.

Next year I'm going to a winery, where, in the past, they've actually had good/funny/original costumes win because they're actually GOOD. ... or just hanging out at Disneyworld.

I did win 1st prize in a house party costume contest, which was pretty legit. It was a fair size, around 25 people and the hosts had prizes and ribbons for everyone and the guests put ballots into a box throughout the night for several categories.

We won best costume overall as Yip Yips from Sesame Street. Big bottle of rum and a shiny ribbon. Was nice to know that in an environment where people actually CARED about creativity and being fair, we won something. :)

Here's us anticipating the announcement of the results... XD

292035_814365423900_89900782_41948082_211177160_n.jpg

Time for my first post here!
I won a contest with my Captain Jack Sparrow costume:
P1160770p.jpg

Most of my gear is home-made and the things I buy (like the rings and the weapons) I usually end up modifying in different ways.

Congrats andenry! You look great!! Well done :thumbsup
Love the trophy, too. Ye know, with a hack saw and elbow grease, some pearls and jewels, you could have yourself a nice looking FOY chalice!! Oh yes...speaking of chalices... ;)

I wore my Optimus Prime to 3 contests. I "tied" a guy who competed wearing a superman t shirt while sitting in a wheelchair AKA Christopher Reeve. Then I lost to a real midget that was dressed as an oompa Loompa, then I won another vs. a girl dressed in a skimpy Mermaid costume. These Bar Costume contests suck because they are all done based on crowd applause and held around midnight when everyone is crap-faced. The DJ's always say "hey, if you brought plenty of buds with you, then you have a chance" cause it's based on crowd applause. I never like to brag about my costumes but when it came to the work that I put into Optimus vs. the lack of work and appearance of the competition it's just not right. In the past when I have lost, as was the case this year, there are always tons of people that are saying to me "hey, that contest must have been rigged, your costume was incredible! By the way...can I get a picture with you?". At least I was able to win a couple of contests.

008-5.jpg

I do not have pictures from the contests.

Paul

Yeah, that is how the costume contests are around here, and it does suck. I think people who make their own costume like you should win over someone just buying a t-shirt and sitting in a wheelchair, and over someone wearing something skimpy. It is unfair for someone to just bring a bunch of buddies to cheer for them when their costume is nothing they actually worked hard on.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

I won 1st at my work. No prize, just bragging rights. It was a fun one to make and wear. It had a working laser as well.

Sweet

I took 2nd place at a large metro-area bar / dance-club wearing this.

064.JPG

(A big shout-out to "indiefilmgeek" here on these forums! His work puts mine to shame!)

My son and I usually attempt at least one costume contest locally for his age group at the mall. Normally I don't compete. I do mine for fun, but this year I was up at the local costuming studio (the place that rents and sells costume pieces) looking for a utility belt for Matt's (my son) Ghostbuster's suit that I could work with to fix up for him, and a lady who worked there stopped me. She said, 'Oh, you are that Pirate and Transformer girl who does the stuff with her son, right?' I'm standing there stunned, nodding. 'Yeah..that's us..I think.' :lol Never did I figure that in the next town down from here that some random person would know my costumes. It's a small town and we usually travel to Cons, and don't do too much locally unless it's fun event or charity thing. She hands me a flyer and tells me to come to this big costume bash thing and the prize would be $1,000. O.O Whoa. Okay, you have my attention! :love That's a lot of money for a single mom! So I signed up for the contest, and vowed to have my suit done in time.

In the meantime, my son did his Ghostbuster at school, and for an event at the Zoo.
Here's his Bustin' suit and his ecto-pack. :) Yes, I made the whole thing.

whoyagonnacall.jpg

Normally Matt just does the contests. But this year he's 12, which means, for some reason around here he's bumped up to the adult categories. So we had to step up our game from last year's Frenzy costume, (which he won first place for) and go for something just about anyone would know, and unless you've lived under a rock for the past 20 years, who've seen one or two versions of the character he did in costume...and boy did I underestimate just how true that last statement was! Here's his costume, and you'll see why.:

BIGBeepicture.jpg

My son walks in the first costume contest in a local mall, and instantly I hear it... screams and yells from all directions...

BUMBLEBEE!!!! BUMBLEBEE!!!!
Oh wow, look at that Bumblebee!
Mommy mommy! Look! It's Bumblebee!

I think you couldn't have found a happier child there than the one in the suit, or a bigger smile on a mom than the one on my face. :) He was thrilled.

He got into true character and was having a blast. Little kids that were 3, 4 and 5 swarmed him, wanting to see Bumblebee. He played with them, took pictures with them, and one little 'Woody' caught us while we were sitting waiting for the costume contest to get to his age group and I kept seeing him behind us. He was grinning and looking at my son. His mom asked me, ' He just wants to hug Bumblebee.' Matt was more than happy to bend down to the little boy and he said 'You my faverit Bumbabee'. It was an 'Awwww!' moment. :)

Contest comes up, and Matt goes on last, and turns on his sound system built into the suit, that makes Bee 'talk' and played an edited version of 'Black and Yellow' for them and bee-bopped off the stage to the Transformers Animated theme.

He sat down, in character, and watched the rest of the show.

A totally TFA Bee 'chillin' moment:

100_1348.jpg

And was called back up as the winner of the adult category. :) He got a $25 gift card, a free dinner, a free dessert cookie and some other small things in an envelope. More importantly, though, he managed to wow some older teenagers as we were leaving, and had them singing 'Black and Yellow' as he walked out of the mall amid high fives. :cool

We went home that night, happy and determined to win the thousand. I finished my costume, for the most part, and got him ready to go with full sound system and music set and ready.

Here's mine:

SOUNDWAVEcostumeenty.jpg

We didn't get so lucky though. I stayed up for the MIDNIGHT contest, and some terrible pre-made costumes won the contest. It was awful. It damaged our costumes too, and I spent the next day working on them to fix the damage to get them ready for our town's mall, where my son won first place last year and wanted to go back and try to uphold his title, and bring home another blue ribbon medal.

We went early and just walked around as mom and son in full costume as a duo of Decepticons, in Soundwave and Frenzy. Tape deck and tape went through the mall blasting music, 'talking' to kids, getting random high fives from people, and 'dude! awesome costume'. I never revealed I was actually female under the mask until I took the mask off for my niece, who was a little scared of the 'robots', and surprised quite a few people who never figured I was a female under the Transformer. XD

I went out and took Frenzy off Matt, got him back in Bee for the contest, and got myself out of Soundwave so I could go in and support my Kiddo.

Here he is, hamming it up in character:

GEDC0976.jpg

Once again, a terrible contest. A premade costume won. A man in a plastic mask, fake muscle suit and tennis shoes won. The judges even had to ask who he was! They didn't know! Meanwhile, my son's got people above him on the balcony above him looking down at him, cheering and yelling 'Bumblebee!!!!' and he's waving and looking up at them.

See him looking up in the picture? The overlook was right above him:
GEDC0978.jpg

:confused And the plastic mask won?! Am I missing something here? :behave

Anyway, here's Matt in Bee, still playing it up in character and bee-boppin' to his sound system.

GEDC0979.jpg

I got robbed at a bar contest by Princess Peach and Mario. The MC didn't know who my costume was, so he made an "executive decision" and chose two Dr. Who #10s and the aforementioned PP and M. I had several people come up to me afterwards telling me they couldn't believe the decision.

Picture is from Dragon*Con, 2011, by Photognome, but it's the same costume. Not a whole lot of construction (read: none at all), but it's a fun costume to wear, and it's not hot, which is my biggest problem with wearing my clone armor or Necromonger.

6317114240_74504aac43.jpg

Jamie!!! I knew right away. Someone who doesn't know that must not know the show. Think of what that poor MC is missing. Shame.

300613_2648413492580_1322972488_3089969_302416343_n.jpg

Joker henchman

308776_2648415332626_1322972488_3089970_22631515_n.jpg

Link

376560_176564245766041_100002374013141_359926_1712291123_n.jpg

Native Ashley J Williams and Silent Bob

I made all the Costumes myself, all togther took about a week and a half. we joined the costume contest but left before they announced the winners because my friends wanted to go to a "House Party" which pretty much killed the rest of the night. A good 85% of costumes in the contest were "Sexy (Anything)" Costumes...Nice to look at but around a Half drunk crowd we figured we didnt stand a chance. talking to the people on all the work they spent on their costumes was a treat, we pretty much figured we would Riot and burn the place down if an epic "Homemade" lost out to a "SexyStore" costume hahaha These are all the pics I have due to Dying Phone battery and forgetting Flip Camera at home :(

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back