Did they (Bondo™) stop making glazing/spot putty?

Dustin Crops Boy

907.jpg

I can't find it ANYWHERE anymore. I used to be able to find it at K-Mart, The Home Depot & my local auto parts store. They all still carry Bondo, but NO glazing putty!!! And when I ask a "helpful" employee for glazing putty - they give me a blank stare (or direct me to window glazing)...

3M (owners of Bondo) still has it on their site, but don't really say who carries it.

Does anyone know if Wal-Mart still carries it? I really hate going there - but I will IF they still carry it.

Did it get banned and I didn't hear about it? Is there an alternative?

Just got some at ACE Hardware a few weeks ago.

NAPA Auto parts sells a great glazing putty (it is NAPA branded and by the paint supplies)

I just bought some at Wal-Mart about 2 weeks ago in the Automotive section right by the bondo filler and resin. It is only a couple bucks, about 3 maybe.

Still around, every auto parts store around me carries it, as does Wal-Mart...

The Home Depot, Menard's and Lowe's type stores vary with location never any real consistency on items like that...

My advice has always been to use professional materials. Bondo makes stuff for non-professionals. This is why you won't find Bondo-anything in a body shop.

For glazing putty I use Nitro-Stan. It is a red or gray lacquer-based putty, even available in California. It comes in a big yellow tube that lasts so long I don't know the current price of it. The stuff cures out like lightning and once dry sands perfectly.

I encourage anyone who uses spot/glazing putty to try this stuff. You'll never go back.

Scott

May just be the time of the year also. Freezing can affect alot of the autobody stuff, just like it can casting & moldmaking materials, and a good chunk of the country seen some cold spells.

My advice has always been to use professional materials. Bondo makes stuff for non-professionals. This is why you won't find Bondo-anything in a body shop.

Problem is sometimes it's hard enough to locate even Bondo brand items, bump into professional stuff and one of two things happen...

1. You can't easily find it locally and if you do you run the risk of them not selling over the counter to the general public...

2. You get raked over the coals on retail price for not having a commercial account...

Check your local Sherwin Williams stores if you are lucky enough to have an automotive paint location close they will carry most professional grade products... Just call the local one and inquire about the closest automotive finish store... I know they carry Evercoat brand, but you will pay full retail without a commercial account...

Personally I just lucked out as a local painter/body guy lets me use his commercial account at a local paint supply house as long as I pay cash at the time of purchase... Saves me a lot of money and gives me easy same day access to the stuff...

Last edited:
I use professional products as well, and most can be ordered online as well. I used to work for a body shop, but now that I don't I use online sales for quite a few supply's. My favorite is evercoat glazing puddy or a 2 part stuff called Lord fuser 114.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back